Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Americas Campaign: Apache

Default Americas Campaign: Apache

This topic is for the Apache faction in Kingdoms expansion's Americas campaign.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Default Re: Americas Campaign: Apache

Here is a guide for Americas Campaign -- Apaches. My settings were Hard/Hard. It appears that the AI factions get lots of extra money, which means that you end up facing multiple stacks per city.

The Apaches play differently from any faction in Europe. Here are the key differences.

1. Upkeep for units is almost nothing, so you can maintain almost a full stack per city(and you will need it).

2. Initially you can build only two types of unit outside your capital. You get access to the buildings meeting these goals:
    Construct 20 missile units, capture 5 settlements - get Hunter's Wigwam for Dog Soldiers
    Construct 50 missile units, capture 10 settlements - get Hunter's Longhouse for Koitsenko's

Construct 20 infantry units, win 5 battles- get Raider's Wigwam for Apachean Scouts
    Construct 50 infantry units, win 10 battles- get Raider's Longhouse for Onde's Men

You will have these wigwams and a few of the advanced units in your starting settlement. They are all terrible on defense.

To get access to gunpowder and horses, you need to win a few battles against armies that have these technologies. The files make it look as if 10 wins are needed, but about 5 seemd to do the job.

The gunpowder and horse units are very good, especially the Thunder Braves, mounted musketeers.

3. Since your units are weak. you will often need more than a full stack to win a battle against a single stack. Be sure to check the box to let the AI contorl the reinforcement stack when you start the battle.

4. General's units are nothing special, and the AI seems to target generals. Don't be surprised if your general is the first soldier killed in his unit.

5. You cannot build units in captured cities without first constructing all your own buildings from scratch.

6. You have nearly uncontested access to about 15 rebel settlements.

7. Auto-resolve is very erratic. It seems to overvalue your early units and undervalue your later ones.

8. Your opponents will have lots of cash. They pay ransom.

The secret of success is the Warpath, which works like a Jihad. Try to call one as close to every 10 turns as you can, Remember to train up a second Piety 4 wiseman.

Basic strategy: Split your initial troops into 2 nearly full stacks. With one, head west, then down the Pacific coast as far as you can. With the other head east. Aime for 20 recruits of each type and 10 settlements captured.
    If you don't know the map, turn off fog of war.

Once the French arrive in Florida, about turn 20, beat up on them. If that doesn't get you guns and hourses, declare a Warpath against a Spanish city. You should have everything by turn 40 or so.

It took me 87 turns for the long campaign (30 cities). The short one (20 cities) is much easier, since you only need all the rebel towns plus one AI opponent's cities.
    Rumpole is online now Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Multi-Quote with this Post

Actually I just lost with apache on H/H and got all units but onde's men.
    Tarascans won.
    Are you sure about the requirements for onde's men ?
    cuz I recruited definitely more than 50 infantry and had more than 10 settlements.

Did you actually get them?

Thx

I think only Scouts and/or Medicine men meet the infantry requirement for Ondes Men. Just a guess, but it would explain why they're so hard to unlock.

I got the Onde's men, though it took a long time!

The Tarascans get an extra 12000 florins per turn, which lets them build unlimited troops. They also decare war when Amiable. I don't see how to beat them.

What do you think about modifying the campaign script to infantry > 10 and settlement > 1 so we can see if only the scouts and medicine men count for that.

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

On turn 1, declare a war path to the eastern-most rebel province in the war-past list. Send a full stack that way and hire mercs as you go. Mercs will have 0 upkeep. Use mercs to take all rebel settlements along the warpath. Use one unit of the original stack to garrison the newly occupied settlement and move on. I did not use the original apache warriors in any of the 1st war-path fights, just used them sparingly to garrison the newly conquered villages.

Note, in order for desertions not to kick in you will have to take each settlement on the first turn of arriving (no waiting). Use mercs to do the brunt of work and rehire as needed. By the time you reach the eastern-most rebel settlement you should be able to conquer all of the rebel settlements in modern day US South (except Florida).

Here's a caveat, which seems different from the Crusades: a stack of war-path mercs led by a captain does not seem to desert as long as it stays close to the other stack lead by the original war-path leader (general). This allowed me to tag along two war-path stacks using just one general.
    --
    playing a bit more with Apache's I've come to a conclusion that the European AI has a serious morale issues, facing native American troops consisting mostly of missile types. even when defending, the cocky AI (French) would attack (that's another problem...), allowing me to take the most advantageous position (on a hill-top) and wait. once hit with a barrage of missiles (no gunpowder needed), a full stack of European AI would rout even before reaching my lines. i guess, the europeans get a morale hit double whammy here: missile barage + being outnumbered about 2:1 (full stack versus full stack). feels almost like cheating...
    Last edited by Slaists; 09-05-2007 at 14:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mac
    I think only Scouts and/or Medicine men meet the infantry requirement for Ondes Men. Just a guess, but it would explain why they're so hard to unlock.
    You are right !

Ok I've done some testing changing the campaign script to:

; indian_raiders_2 Recruit 50 infantry units & Win 10 battles
    monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType apachean
    and I_CompareCounter apachean_infantry_recruited > 20
    and I_CompareCounter apachean_settlements_captured > 1

add_events
    event counter indian_raiders_2
    date 0
    end_add_events

if I_LocalFaction apachean
    historic_event apachean_raiders_2 factions { apachean, }
    end_if

terminate_monitor
    end_monitor

So basically u need to conquer 1 settlement and train at least 21 infantry units.
    So i trained only medicine and scouts and that did the trick.
    Note that if your units betray you they don't count to the sum.

First thing to realise about playing as Apaches is that you don't have to get hung up on spamming units in order to get upgrades; not to the extent of risking bankruptcy, anyway.

To explain: the units you start with are good enough to do a job for you. The units you get following upgrades are better but not to the extent that the game gets radically easier or your tactics are going to change dramatically (at least until horses and guns but these are dependent on the arrival of the French, not on your appetite for unit-spawing). That being the case, you gain very little by getting the upgrades early, so what's the point in bankrupting yourself to do so?

Your starting troops are sufficient for two stacks. One goes east on a warpath and the other cleans up down the Pacific coast. Each time you take a camp, recruit a dog soldier unit as garrison and then move on (you can normally move whilst the recruitment is ticking over if you keep taxation at normal). Keep your starting troops in the stack and you should be strong enough to take all rebel camps without resorting to mercenaries and you'll get some highly experienced warriors too. Only recruit extras units as you can afford them.

By the time you've taken all rebel camps, you'll have two highly experienced stacks and a really healthy treasury. Round about now, you'll be face-to-face with the mesoamericans and the French will arrive. Hold off the mesos and whip the French with your experienced eastern stack, plus additional troops recruited as necessary. Let the French attack you in battle and you'll take them easy enough. Soon enough, you'll gain the initial horse and gun upgrades.

Once the French are whooped, you'll have guns, horses and a full treasury. Now is the time to show your soft, southern neighbours what true Apache grit is about. Concentrate your remaining weaker troops into stacks and soften up anyone nearby; then hit them with improved troops. Keep aside one or two decent stacks to send on the Warpath against the Spanish. These can create havoc en route and should do enough to earn you the further gun and horse upgrades.

Preserve troops at all times and don't over stretch yourself: if your treasury gets bare and you have a few casualty-heavy results, you're defenceless - and remember, this never happens to your opponents as they get the cash bonuses each turn. If you're sensible, you can grow at a reasonable rate and do so in a fashion that puts you ahead of the game technologically.

Just because you can get upgrades, it doesn't mean you have to. In fact, fighting and winning with lower grade troops is more of a challenge and potentially more satisfying - plus, when you get upgrades, you feel like you've earned them, not just adopted an easy work-around.

Not a strategy to everyone's taste but it worked for me.
    As the man said, For every complex problem there's a simple solution and it's wrong.

small note on the french:
    because they are in horde mode, i found it possible to assasinate them into submission because of the low numbers and local concentration of family members

Battles are bloody affairs - particularly when you face the Mesoamericans. Hugh armies, high attack values combined with low armour values make for high casualties. I found the Chichimecs, with their huge stacks of heavy infantry very hard initially. You usually hadn't done enough damage with your missile troops before they get to your line.

Until you get Kotisenkos (sp?) and Onde's men, the priests are probably your best bet. Don't rely on your general's body guard - they are lightly armoured and vulnerable - only commit them in rear charges - not attrition as they will lose against mesoamericans or Europeans who are tougher with higher attack values. Lost track of the number of general's I've lost.

Money is not an issue. As one of the other posters said - your armies have a low maintenance cost - so go large! Elite armies are hard to build, so just build lots. I made one of the Mesoamericans my vassals (after taking two of their cities, then threatening them and offering them 15000). Next turn I'm in a war with the Aztecs and I have 500 000 florins in the kitty!

Until you get Onde's Men you really don't have a line of battle infantryman that can go toe to toe with jaguar, eagle or other heavy infantry. Even with Onde's men, I'm finding it hard fighting the hordes of Aztecs that I'm now facing. I'm losing more than I'm winning - if it weren't for the continual streams of reinforcements coming from the north I'd be cactus and my frontier of former Chichimec territory would have long been swallowed up.

Try using your mounted thunder braves to snipe and harry flanks. Thunder braves are great at shooting, but crap in combat - they won't last. Target your opponent's general, as you can guarantee he'll be doing the same (I've watched as I moved my general down the line - the opposing Aztecs followed him from the left to the right flank!). One tactic which is long but worthwhile is having only mounted troops - stay ahead of him, snipe his flanks and rear and don't let him get into combat until a large proportion of his army is gone or broken.

Remember that thunder braves have long range and cause fear against your native opponents. The Europeans seem to have been limited and/or stamped out by their more numerous native american opponents. The aztecs, apachean and mayans are rampant. Now if I can only get the Mayans to declare war against the Aztecs...

it work in 1.4 on m/m and dont know if it a bug or feature but it seems that rebels in settlements dont have fire at will turned on and there are no more arrows chasing at you, so basically to capture settlements you need large portion of archers doing one volley, escape and replay. It takes long than usual full attack but this way you can lose less than 10 men fighting againts settlements with 6 archer units(dogs).

Maybe is was just me, but playing h/vh was incredibly simple for one reason: Braves are insane morale killers. I get one general, 6 dog soldiers (or the K guys when I got them) 12 braves, and some medicine men for the chant and destroyed. As the enemy comes towards your lines (and every AI faction did that for me, even when I attacked) your dog soldiers will cause horrible damage, then when they get within range of the braves, a few spears sends them running. Even if they didn't run, the braves are powerful enough to survive in melee (and easily destroy the faction beneath you). The french died en masse because they simply charged, and the Spanish don't have enough numbers to cause you a problem.

Another thing I did was ally Aztecs, they would never backstab because everyone was against them, so you could often stick an army beside theres and have them kill the enemy for you.

Another thing, warpath is vastly overrated (and my elder died right at the start, so I could only use one), because every town you conquer can build your staple troops in a few turns. Not to mention that every city can support it's own full stack.

My two cents. Hello everyone, also.

I have a question for my fellow chiefs: Is there any reason not to keep medicine men in chant? Are there any negative effects at all? From what I've seen, it gives a big morale boost, lowers enemy morale, and takes nothing away. Does it stop when fighting?
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh
    Why waste time on thought when you have a big charge bonus?

Aged retainer Member Guyus Germanicus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benandorf
    I have a question for my fellow chiefs: Is there any reason not to keep medicine men in chant? Are there any negative effects at all? From what I've seen, it gives a big morale boost, lowers enemy morale, and takes nothing away. Does it stop when fighting?
    Can't answer that question. But thought of something else. I've been fighting with apaches recruiting at least four medicine man units per stack. I haven't tried this - but I was wondering - could you not get the best of both functions by having one medicine man unit chant while using the other three to swarm to the enemy?

I have found braves to be less reliable for frontal attacks simply because they tend to want to perform their function of spearthrowing first. I've found that my enemy usually tries to close with me quickly minimizing the amount of time they remain under my arrow showers. Unlike in RTW when the enemy would simply stand forever still while your archers could decimate them from afar. So, to compensate, I have recruited four scouts to compliment my medicine men. I recruit four units of braves as well. But it's the scouts and the medicine men that form my front line shield. And what I typically will do is swarm one enemy unit with 6-7 infantry. Get the rout started. Then hit another enemy unit. Concentration of force tactics.

If I do periodic warpaths, the experience bonuses I acquire after a couple successes can give my scouts 2-3 silver chevrons which kicks their experience and skill levels up making them more formidable over time. So I'm getting a 11-12 attack factor power on scouts. In my current game I have a medicine man unit with three gold chevrons.

So, to summarize, pre-Onde, I have 8 straight up infantry per stack (4 scouts & 4 medicine men), five dog soldier (pre-Koitsenko) or five Koitsenkos, and one chief. I always try to attack the French with at least two stacks at once - safety in numbers. It's amazing what swarms of Injuns can accomplish. A side benefit of recruiting so many scouts and medicine men has been that I reach the infantry recruiting threshold for Onde men quickly. Then all I need to do is win 50 battles, which usually takes a little longer.

Once the gunpowder and horses are acquired I vary the stacks somewhat. I go with six mounted thunderbraves, keep the scouts and medicine man numbers the same, use at least 4-5 Koitsenko's and a chief, where possible. I'll vary it a bit with mounted archers. The mounted thunderbraves can really do a number on the armoured french units - both cavalry and heavy infantry. I think the thunder braves are the key to hitting the Tarascans and Txatclans (sp) with their eagle warriors, janguar troops and temple guard, etc.

Will share more as I make discovery as to what works best.

Bottomline, I always try to use two stacks in every attack. I've been toying with the idea of having one stack made up almost entirely of mounted thunderbraves and archers - simply harrass the be-hayzoos out of the Central American tribe until they close with my other stack which has real infantry. Ondes, medicine men, koitsenkos, and a few thunderbraves.

It should work. What are your variations, guys? Any favorite tactics.
    "Those who would sacrifice a generation to realize an ideal are the enemies of mankind."
    -- Eric Hoffer

"Everyone after he has been fully trained, will be like His teacher." -- Luke 6:40

I concur - I tend to have a mobile stack of mounted thunderbraves sheparding a more HTH stack of Kotsienkos/Medicine Men/Ondes' Men/thunder braves with high star general. I still find it hard in big battles with mesoamericans - the sheer numbers makes them bloody affairs. Also - the Aztecs at the stage of game I'm in (VH/VH about turn 70 odd) have LOTS of stacks. I've counted around 20 full stacks of jaguars/eagle warriors coming my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpole
    I got the Onde's men, though it took a long time!

The Tarascans get an extra 12000 florins per turn, which lets them build unlimited troops. They also decare war when Amiable. I don't see how to beat them.
    My theory on why this is the case is to sort of imitate the fact that the Tarascans were the only culture in Mesoamerica at this point to actually smelt bronze, and use it as weapons. Since, you know, CA is too silly to actually try to create units for the Tarascans that are different from the Aztecs.

I have a friend who has an apache game going, and he says the key to success is to attack EVERYTHING and everyone, As fast as possible. He's also said that after you hammer away at the french to get weapons, he has achieved an alliance with them...and they're working in tandem against the Tarascans.

Also, he's said that Apache Braves are the key unit for victory. I'll be trying it out later, so I'll be sure to let you all know.

Don't Koitsenko have same melee stats as guachichil warriors? So one can melee test Guachichil against Onde's men and decide which is better. Guachichil will win of course every time and to that result add the amount of kills Koitsenko will rack up with their bows before the lines meet and subtract the dread Onde's men cause . Verdict: Onde's men good against cavalry but I'd rather have Koitsenko's in a scrap any day.
    Oh and I ran test campaign with just apache braves recruited and got hunter's wigwam and then hunter's longhouse so they do count towards the missile units recruitment total. At same time as i got koikotsenko (hunter's longhouse) i got raiders wigwam even without making a single melee unit. So i retested and made only rabbit boys and same result: when i got to hunters longhouse i got raider's wigwam with it without making a single melee unit. Tried one just recruiting medicine men and got nothing not a sausage, zip.
    Last edited by Gaius Terentius Varro; 09-17-2007 at 18:21.

I was surprised to find how easy an Apache campaign has been so far. I took captured all nearby rebel settlements and advanced east until I met the french in close to Lousiana. I brought four stacks (no onde or koitchenkos). I won all battles against the French without much trouble. I followed the advice to outnumber but before the reinforcement arrived I always found that I had won. Now I have gun infantry and cavalry and the french live on only because I have not finished them.

Economy is not a problem ever. Cheap upkeep means you can mass recruit all the time.

Maybe it will get tougher but with gunner I doubt it. Fun but very easy. The French troops are too few to be able to win. Especially braves can be very useful for breaking morale of superior troops in a critical moment.

Apache remind me of Russia in the GC. Much missile and much room to expand. The favour of deciding when to do battle is just too favourable to make you fail.

Playing on VH/VH

Annoying Warhammer know-it-all Member DrZoidberg's Avatar

How do I get my reinforcements to actually reinforce? Whenever I attack with several Apache armies my reinforcements just stand there from where ever the entered the map and don't budge, until my head force is wiped out. I put them in aggressive mode. Doesn't seem to do the trick. How does it work?
    Sorry you must have been boring. -Dr Zoidberg

Senior Member Senior Member Cheetah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg
    How do I get my reinforcements to actually reinforce? Whenever I attack with several Apache armies my reinforcements just stand there from where ever the entered the map and don't budge, until my head force is wiped out. I put them in aggressive mode. Doesn't seem to do the trick. How does it work?
    Are you sure you have checked the proper boxes before the battle? There is a list showing generals and armies and you have to allow the AI to controll these armies and use them as reinforcement (i.e. check both boxes). IF you did so then the general's unit card will appear in the upper right corner of the screen during battle. Just select the unit card (which selects the whole army) and then left click on the spot you want them. Also you can select the stance. Probably you just forgot to order them to move with left click.
    Lional of Cornwall
    proud member of the Round Table Knights

"If you wish to weaken the enemy's sword, move first, fly in and cut!" - Ueshiba Morihei O-Sensei

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah
    Are you sure you have checked the proper boxes before the battle? There is a list showing generals and armies and you have to allow the AI to controll these armies and use them as reinforcement (i.e. check both boxes). IF you did so then the general's unit card will appear in the upper right corner of the screen during battle. Just select the unit card (which selects the whole army) and then left click on the spot you want them. Also you can select the stance. Probably you just forgot to order them to move with left click.
    I thought they'd behave just like they do in ordinary MTW2. Thanks

How many times will french land with their expeditions ? Im in 55 turn.

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

10 times. Gives you plenty of fun to practice your skills. The last stacks will be led by a captain who is also faction leader. Assassins can do the job for you.
    Tosa Inu

lol, ive got army of mounted gunners for that But you talk about 10 stacks or 10 movies about this? Because i destroyed already 8 stacks i think from 2 expeditions.
    Last edited by icek; 10-06-2007 at 10:59.

Quote Originally Posted by icek
    lol, ive got army of mounted gunners for that But you talk about 10 stacks or 10 movies about this? Because i destroyed already 8 stacks i think from 2 expeditions.
    I think it's a never ending story. But apart from the two first ones which are big, the later ones are pathetic. Not even a full stack. I don't even bother having an army ready for protection. I just buy the troops in the nearest settlements and kill the poor sods.

The number of victories needed to get Thunder braves and horses seems to vary depending on difficulty on M/M (I know, I know too easy!!!) it only took two victories against the Spanish to get both. In both cases I captured a lot of prisoners and ransomed them - maybe that helps.

Still no Onde's men or Koitsenkos though....
    Old warriors know more tricks!

how does one use medicine men properly? I see that they have high attacks but low defense. What do you do? Just charge in and hope the enemy rout?

They cause fear no matter if they're in combat. I keep them behind my lines as a back up force to rush in, when needed. But once more advanced troops came, I didn't think they where worth it. A full unit of braves or dog boys are better, and have cheaper upkeep.

i have yesterday complited the most boring experience ever i had with tw games that is called apache campaign. Fighting mesos are so dull...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast