Thread: Crusades Campaign: Jerusalem

Default Crusades Campaign: Jerusalem

This topic is for the Kingdom of Jerusalem faction in Kingdoms expansion's Crusades campaign.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

Default Re: Crusades Campaign: Jerusalem

Basically your objective to win is to eliminate Egypt and hold Baghdad for 10 turns which IMHO makes KoJ the easiest faction to win this scenario with. Here´s my strategy.

Egypt will always move on Alia and the Beni Camps in Arabia. Saladin will launch a Jihad on Jerusalem on turn 2 (1176). The north is secure through your alliance with KoA and through the eastern deserts there will be no threat so your only front is the west and Egypt.

1174ad. Goal: secure south and take rebels in the north to force KoA into turkish lands. For offensive armies I use the squires, archers and mounted sergants that I have an abundance of.
    *Balain of Ibelin marches on Alia reinforced with troops from Ascalon, Jerusalem and Kerak.
    *Prince Guy lay siege on Banyas reinforced from Arsuf and Acre.
    *Raymond of Tripoli lay siege on Ballbek.
    As garrison troops I use 2 dismounted knights and one KoJ in each settlement.
    I convert Ascalon, Arsuf and Tyre to settlements and will settle on having castles in Kerak and Ballbek which will be more than sufficient.

1176ad.
    *Prince Guy takes Banyas and Raymond of Tripoli takes Ballbek.
    *Gerard the crusader takes Guys army and lay siege on Damascus.
    *Raymond of Tripoli lays siege on Homs.
    *Balain of Ibelin faces two stack of reinforcement Jihad armies in the south and takes them out. Marches towards Alia. A half stack of egyptians is heading this way too.
    You might have noticed that I use all my generals atleast once. This will enhance their loyalty and sense of feeling appreciated. Baldwin IV is kept in Jerusalem to defend it and Ascalon which will soon encounter the Egytians.

1178ad.
    *Gerard takes Damascus. Marches to the Tyre coast where a ships is waiting.
    *Ray takes Homs and marches on the tripoli coast to board a ship.
    *Prince Guy (or an emergant general) takes these two armies (above) to Cyprus.
    *Balain attacks the egyptian force usually led by their heir (nice ransom) that is laying seige on Alia. Lay seige to Alia.

1180ad.
    *Lay seige on Nicosia on Cyprus.
    *Take Alia and move Balain NW to intercept all the egyptians that is pouring in over the Sinai desert.

1182ad.
    *Take Nicosia and Lay siege on Limassol (victory goal).
    *Move all excess troops towards Ascalon.
    A crusade reinforcement led by Richard the Lionheart will soon arrive. Use him and Balain to secure the bridges west of Sinai and move on Saladins lands when you feel ready. Use diplomats, spies and assassins in each army stack to protect and counter assasins otherwise Balain and Richard will not make it.

1184ad.
    *Limassol falls and I ship these troops to the Egyptian front.
    By this time I usually can spare troops and take a general to take the Beni Camps (3) in the Arabian desert. Taking these settlements will give you a nice backdoor to Baghdad and you can use the rivercrossings of the great rivers as nice defendable positions against the Turks and in the future the Mongols.

I´ve modded the Turks into a far stronger faction due to their fragmented position so they are quite a challenge in my games, just the way I like it. And if you play turtle for a while after taking out the Egyptians you´ll face the mongol invasion north of Basra and the Turks will see a new leader emerge - Osman! Boy, I do like this script. Have fun.

Merciless Mauler Member TheLastPrivate's Avatar

Does the KoJ get Marshall of the Templars, like the hospitaller equivalent of Antioch?

Gae Ma Ki Byung:
    Possibly the earliest full-armored heavy cavalry in human history, deployed by the Goguryeo from the 3rd century A.D.

They do. And they have the Countable of Jerusalem cav. unit, which has a size of 60.

I played as Jerusalem first and honestly I wasn't too impressed. It was extremely easy, the music wasn't really that impressive, and it was like everything was handed to you.

Idk, I kind of prefer building things up on my own over having armies and insanely heavy knights just handed over to me. It just seemed way too simple and straight forward for my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
    I played as Jerusalem first and honestly I wasn't too impressed. It was extremely easy, the music wasn't really that impressive, and it was like everything was handed to you.
    Odd. Whit my start the Egyptians started steamrolling towards me. When you defeated their initial four near full balanced stacks you can attack them. Before you should save your skin....

Besides, the music is great imo.....

Hi everyone

I have finished a Jerusalem campaign by turn 58 on M/M and found the earlier strategy seems to be the only way to go.

I was a little concerned when I got a message saying Byzantine were close to completing objectives on turn 52!

Also I managed to take Limasso from the Byzantines (Objective) but both Nicosia and Attalei would not siege properly. Each time I laid siege a message would come up saying I was at war and the Principality of Antioch had broken their alliance with Byzantine. I would then have to siege again with the same result. Eventually I left them alone as my catapults/trebuchets were too far away.

Luckily the mongols arrived but left me alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Atreides
    Odd. Whit my start the Egyptians started steamrolling towards me. When you defeated their initial four near full balanced stacks you can attack them. Before you should save your skin....

well the egyptians came knocking on my door, but i bit back with a few full stacks of some heavy troops, and i was able to push them back and take cairo/the other important cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Atreides

Yea this was my experience on H/H.

The Jihad was called and two or three turns later their were full stacks on top of me.

==============================================

Anyone else find the Jerusalem campaign tougher than Antioch?

The Egyptians were a much tougher opponent that the Turks. You really do need the high command rating generals you start off with in Jerusalem as it seems all the Egyptian generals have 4+ command stars.

Though I thought it was ridiculous how many times I caught Saladin with a small army. Eventually I killed him taking Cairo when he had less than half a stack. You would think the AI would give the best general the best troops.

- By the way in Cairo you get the Ark of the Covenant. Be sure to adopt atleast one general with a solid dread rating as the Ark gives +5 dread.

Right now I'm at about turn 70 and Egypt is eliminated and I got 20 settlements. The game has slowed down considerabley because of the time it takes to move armies east into the desert. Now the ultimate showdown with the Mongols will have to take place as all I need is 5 more territories and BAghdad.

Making super-elite Knights Templar:

Get a horsebreeder's guild HQ, Knights Templar HQ, Swordsmith HQ, and buy a castle with Hospitaller HQ from Antioch.
    A citadel with Tourney field and a templar/hospitaller chapter will produce 3 gold chevron (9 experience) right off the bat. I somehow got to 10 experience knights althogh it won't go as high, if I right-click on the training roster it will say experience:10. It will also keep asking me to retrain the unit but it doesn't work either. But 9 experience Templar right off the bat is enough, really. Im thinking of disbanding my marshall/constable and retrain them so i can get 9 gold chevron marshall...

Gae Ma Ki Byung:
    Possibly the earliest full-armored heavy cavalry in human history, deployed by the Goguryeo from the 3rd century A.D.

Hmm, I guess I lose the unique units forever if I disband them. Good thing I saved....and I just found out I have a castle that wants to train 11 xp templars.... too bad I can't have those...

Gae Ma Ki Byung:

Makedonios Ksanthopoulos Member Privateerkev's Avatar

I would agree with PseRamesses's strategy except for his southern moves. I take Balain, Guy, and all the southern forces that aren't taking the three northeastern settlements, and move them as far down that road to Egypt as possible on turn 1. I run out every unit's mp. Which means that instead of keeping units together, I move cav ahead. The stuff on the road will be strung out but safe for turn 1.

If you do it right, you can get a full stack army on the north bridge to egypt and an all-cav force led by Balain on the south bridge by turn 2. The cav force will be attacked twice on Egypt's next turn but with charging and the knights high morale, you will win. You can get a full army stack to the south bridge by turn 3 to relieve the all-cav stack. I send the very beaten knights back to refit and leave Balain and the army on the south bridge while Guy and his army are on the north bridge. Also make sure each man has a spy in his stack because there will be at least one assassination attempt on each general each turn for pretty much the whole time they are on the bridges, until you hurt Egypt enough to where they stop recruiting assassins.

The two stacks sent into your territory by Egypt on turn 1 will return and try to attack you from the KoJ side of the river. You might get attacked on the bridges from both directions at once for a couple turns. My computer stinks so it gives me the stacks one at a time. Just defend one side, and when the first force routes, the second will appear behind you. Then just cross the bridge and set up on the other side so the second stack has to cross the river to attack you.

After the two stacks behind your lines are dead, Egypt is stuck on their side of the river if you hold both bridges and keep sinking their navy. You can then hold indefinetly as long as you eventually get some artillery down there to counter the pieces they eventually make. Jerusalem is best to make artillery at the early point in the game.

By this point, I have taken all of the northeastern settlements (4), turned all coastal settlements to cities, and taken both Cyprus settlements. You are then free to take Alia. Also, you can land three full general led stacks where ever you want on the Egyptian coast while Egypt is still trapped on their side of the river. Take the two settlements way to the far west and squeeze them like a vice. They will keep attacking your two bridges but Magonels will slaughter them. I rack up more than 300 kills per Magonel unit per bridge defense.

Then, you can pretty much do what you want. Go turtle, expand east, take Byzantine lands, ect...

Last edited by Privateerkev; 11-11-2007 at 15:20.

Knight of the Order of St. John
    Duke of Nicosia

Warrior on the edge of time Member kitbogha's Avatar

HI all,
    Started off with this campaign and found it to be really good fun (if wholesale slaughter and backstabbing can be described as fun!). I started by engaging the Egyptians straight away (nothing like a pre-emptive attack!!) and when I had them on the run started sending out units to take the rebel cities in the deserts to the east and managed to up my city numbers by taking them. sweeping west across north africa, to set up a platform for later attacks on the Byzantines. Part of Cyprus was rebel so I took that giving me a toehold for attacks into Anatolia.
    The inevitable friction with the Byzantines was brought to a head when a message flashed up to say they were close to victory, so I quickly diverted some units I had ben building for my Mongol campaign and took five of their cities in Northern Iraq area, starting an all out war with them which cost lots of lives and money but finally resulted in their being wiped out.
    I avoided contact with the Mongols until late on in the game when I needed only to Take Baghdad and blitzed them with six full stacks, using one to take the city and the other five to form a ring of steel around it until the ten turns were complete.
    I found that keeping on good terms with Antioch was worthwhile, as they form a nice buffer between you and the Byzantines and they even did me a favour and wiped out the Turks for me! I even bought a couple of their cities, which was nice...
    "I like a man who grins when he fights"
    Winston Churchill.
    "It is not sufficient that I suceed - all others must fail.”
    Genghis Khan

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastPrivate
    Hmm, I guess I lose the unique units forever if I disband them. Good thing I saved....and I just found out I have a castle that wants to train 11 xp templars.... too bad I can't have those...
    Are u SURE?!?!

cuz my unique units are about to be eliminated bcuz they lost ALOT of manpower...

Quote Originally Posted by Boyar Son
    Are u SURE?!?!

cuz my unique units are about to be eliminated bcuz they lost ALOT of manpower...
    As long as you don't have them eliminated they regenerate by themselves.

But if u disband i think they're gone tho.

And in my Turks game Jerusalem had like 6 units of marshall and constable in the end... so cpu obviously cheats with those :p

Gae Ma Ki Byung:

I figured that I would risk everything on an all out assault on Egypt, trusting my allies to the north to keep the Turks busy. I played on H/H, put a full stack on a ship and managed to sneak it past the Egyptian navy. It landed by Alexandria, captured it and then took the settlement to the south.

Meanwhile Ascalon was and Kerek were attacked by Saladin and his heir, but Baldwin was within striking distance in Jerusalem and beat both beseiging armies back before quickly re-fitting and taking the battle to the enemy aiming for the castle on the Med coast. At the same time I took most of my army from my amphibious assault and headed in the same direction. The 2 armies working together with some nighht fights were able to prevail and I am sitting pretty (although I have no idea what is going on elsewhere - it is only turn 10 though).

I am not sure the strategy is sound - had the Egyptian navy bothered to attack my lowly galley it would not have been pretty. Also if the troops in Cairo had been deployed immediately against my invading marines I am sure I would have been driven back. As it is Richard has turned up and Damascus is about to fall.

:p this campaign is going horrible for me. Im not a great fighter, but against horse archers i suck. First i thought cavalery would destroy those horse archers easily. But boy was i wrong. I got two of my best generals killed, in an epic stupid battle, where i forgot there were enemy reinforcements coming. Antioch beat me on Baalbek and i failed to take the rebel town just south of it xD. But luckily im finally starting to understand how to play against Egypt and things are going better. Using a half circle of infantry now with archers in the middle and some cav behind them to flank enemy's when they get near and kill enemy archers.

p.s. if someone has some hints on fighting the actual battles, please tell me lol :P Especially heavy cav , where should i use them for?

Yay im finnaly learning how to kill those damn egypts :D