Thread: Teutonic Campaign: Novgorod

Default Teutonic Campaign: Novgorod

This topic is for the Novgorod faction in Kingdoms expansion's Teutonic campaign.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Typing from the Saddle Senior Member Doug-Thompson's Avatar

Default Re: Teutonic Campaign: Novgorod

Novgorod is a missile cavalry faction, period. The Teutonic Order’s line infantry simply outclasses yours in every way until you get gunpowder and Cossack Gunners.

Boyar Sons, with their armor-piercing javelins and dual-purpose melee power, are the unit of choice. Kazaks are a necessary support unit that take care of “soft” targets and inflict morale penalties. Killing armored Teutonic units with Kazacks, however, requires a lot of hits even if firing from the sides or behind the target. Kazaks are not good in melee and should stay out of it unless it’s a routed unit chase.

It’s tempting to work with the Order and crush the Lithuanians between you. That wouldn’t take long. I may try it someday. However, the Order is the far more dangerous enemy. I allied with the Lithuanians and drove the Teutonic Order out of its Baltic and northern provinces. The Order, meanwhile, captured a Lithuanian Baltic province in an effort to get to their besieged northern territories — opening up a nice corridor for me to follow into their heartland.

I don’t remember ever storming a walled, besieged city before getting gunpowder. I’d wait however long it took or until the Order sent a relief force. The idea was to use the sieges to force a fight and kill as many of the Order’s troops as possible. I had some very destructive battles in which I ran all over the map — defeat one force here, turn around and defeat the reinforcements, then finally kill off the garrison sally with whatever survivors I had left. One battle in particular cost me almost a whole stack, but broke the Order.

By the 30th turn I’d wiped out the Teutons, and that was in the first try at the campaign. I’d wrapped my way around Lithuania’s northern border into the heart of German. The Teutonic Order’s headquarters castle is quite a prize, a citadel that can be quickly developed to produce Dvor Cavalry and much better infantry.

Don’t mess with the Poles. You’re in forest now, making missile cavalry battles dicey. Also, Polish Nobles beat Boyar Sons handily.

I hoped to break my alliance with the Lithuanians and make short work of them. However, the Mongols attacked me. They aren’t tough if you’re familiar with missile cavalry tactics.

I was surprised and delighted to find that Denmark had taken very little of Scandinavia. I sent a strong force across the Baltic with bombards, and will take much of the country. I have a strong force watching my northern boarder with the Danish provinces there. If the Danes don’t like my occupation of the Baltic island and Scandinavia, I’m prepared to deal with their displeasure.
    "In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns."

Novgorod is a pretty fun and easy campaign, IMO.

The Lithuanians will keep your alliance until you break it. Period. They are your friends. Together, you can take out the Teutonic Knights, for the both of you can run circles around their heavier infantry. Missile Cavalry is your friend.

I am at turn 100 right now and essentially own the entire Eastern half of the map. Simply take your time, and strike whenever you have an opportunity (which is also why I have Sweden :-D). I'm preparing to go to war with the Lithuanians.

One thing I have noticed is that the Polish, at least in this campaign, have become a giant white monster. Good thing I'm allied to them right now.

Merciless Mauler Member TheLastPrivate's Avatar

Quick question: Is there ANY difference between the Novgorodians and the Russians in the original M2tw?

Gae Ma Ki Byung:
    Possibly the earliest full-armored heavy cavalry in human history, deployed by the Goguryeo from the 3rd century A.D.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastPrivate
    Quick question: Is there ANY difference between the Novgorodians and the Russians in the original M2tw?
    There doesn't seem to be, anyway. Then again, I'm not exactly familiar with the Russian roster.

The Novgorodians are exactly the same as the 'Rus unfortunatley. I was hoping for some variety in this, but oh well.

I am a fan of the Rus' and Novgorodians for sentimental and practical reasons. I did two games as the Novgorodians on VH/VH and as soons as the Teutonic Knights could declare war on me, they did (ie turn 3). My inititial strategy was to basically ignore the Mongols and Lithuanians and make an alliance with those two in order to secure my southern front. Lithuania will be busy by the Polish/Teutonic coalition in the start of the game, and Poland also tends to attack the Mongols. I split Denmark away from the Teutonic side by allying with them. I usually send a small calvary stack of 5 boyar sons to help them while I build up for an assault on the 3 Latvian territories (Riga, Corland, and Ostya). This gives me access to the sea, and I will continue attacking down the Baltic coast. The reason I chose Denmark is that they are a powerful ally, but they are rather distant except for the Estonian provinces. The Estonian provinces of Tallinn and Narva can easily be bought off from the Danes or invaded as their core troop producing lands are quite distant.

Poland causes problems eventually, but that should be expected if you are Russian. Polaks do not like us too much. So invade them and show them who will conquer them again in 300 years. At this time you should have the order's former baltic provinces, thus making bank from all the Hanseatic trade you are getting. I made alot of expansion by just buying up provinces from people.

As for tactics, go look at the Russia guide as they are basically the same thing. Early in the game, I usually have a half stack of cavalry (mostly boyars and 2 kazak units for routing) and the rest is a complement of infantry (spear militia). If at all possible, do not attack Teutonic cities and try and force them outside the walls. Once you get some actually large castles, go and recruit dismounted dvor/boyar sons, as they can hold their own against any Teutonic foot soldier except the Rittenbrüder.

Join the ICLADOLLABOJADALLA! Member IrishArmenian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastPrivate
    Aside from a spiffy new yellow coat and a nice little bear, no.

"Half of your brain is that of a ten year old and the other half is that of a ten year old that chainsmokes and drinks his liver dead!" --Hagop Beegan

histroricaly, there was alot of cav in Russian armies?? or did they use inf too?

YuriVII, te "pycckhh" (did i get that right?)

So I played as Novgorod, and it was pretty cool. They are in a MUCH better position than in the original game, plus the yellow looks cooler.

I bought the Danish provinces on the coast and basically bumrushed as many rebel cities as I could. Then, I allied with the Danes (who were willing) and the Lithuanians. I then attacked the Teutonic Order, who was penned in by the Lithuanians and the Poles. With the TO eventually defeated, I built up trade and constructed heavy infantry type armies, which I love. From there, it was a cake walk. Game. Set. Match.

By the way, the music in the teutonic campaign is my favorite, sooo dramatic and epic.

?? ? ???????, ?? ? ???? ????????? ???????????. ? ?? ????????.

?? ???????? ??????? ?????

Da, ja russkii, no u menya Estonskoe grazhdanstvo. Ya iz Tallinna. Vy v Amerike izuchaete russkij yazik?

Oppps I guess the form does not recognize cyrillic.

from what you said:

your russian.

are you an american that speaks russian.

"no u menya Estonskoe grazhdanstvo. Ya iz Tallinna" dont understand that tho...

also were rus armies mosly peasants?

I said translated: Yes I am Russian, but I have Estonian citizenship. I am from Tallinn. Are you studying Russian language in America?"

As for Rus' armies it depends on what principality you were talking about. Are you talking about Kiev, Novgorod, Vladimir-Suzhdal, and at what time.

Taking the example of Alexander Nevsky, most of his army was militia. Who ranged from peasants who couldn't afford anything to craftsmen and merchants who could afford some chain mail. A motley crew.

how about novgorod and kiev?

I illustrated Novgorod by citing Alexander Nevsky's battle on Chudskoe Lake. Kiev I have less knowledge about. I should do more research on Kalka battle.

Warrior on the edge of time Member kitbogha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mithradates VI
    The Lithuanians will keep your alliance until you break it. Period. They are your friends.
    I thought so too, until they tried to stab me in the back. I was very disappointed in their short sighted attitude, when they launched a suicidal attack on one of my bordering cities, which was well prepared to fend them off. I don't understand why they should do such a thing, we were allies and they didn't benefit at all, they were brushed off with casual distaste, and now.....well, let's just say I don't forget such insults and once I have finished with the Teutonic Order they can expect a visit from some of the good people of Novgorod.
    I am enjoying this campaign, and have found it challenging enough not to be a walkover like some of the other campaigns. There have been some good battles against the Teutonics and now I have gunpowder I am annihilating those scum. With the gunpowder upgrade Novgorod has a good choice of units at her disposal. I have twelve cities in my hands and am looking forward to bringing the whole region under my control. Who next? Ah, yes, the plucky Lithuanians......
    "I like a man who grins when he fights"
    Winston Churchill.
    "It is not sufficient that I suceed - all others must fail.”
    Genghis Khan

Unhappy Re: Teutonic Campaign: Novgorod

does anyone have a strategy for leveling up your catles fast to obtain cossaks because all i can get are Kazaks who arent great just sufficient. plus the TO send swarms of armies that have The fearsome swordsmen (cant spell name) and all i have are town militia and

Heaps Gooder Member aimlesswanderer's Avatar

The TO armies are extremely well armoured, but tend to be very slow moving. Just get a bunch of missle cavalry and you can run rings around them and shoot them up from all sides. If you run out of ammo and they aren't worn down enough to charge, just retreat and try again. After a few battles like that I'd wiped them out (killed family members).

Basicaly the TO have the heaviest infantry in the game, so don't try and go toe to toe with them, use their lack of speed against them. Kazaks and boyars are great for wiping out the TO. Later on you get good heavy infantry, but initially it's missle cavalry all the way.
    "All things are born from darkness, and all things return to darkness". Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

Thumbs up Re: Teutonic Campaign: Novgorod

Thaks wanderer i did that in my first campaign but i never retretead because I thought i would lose men anyway so instaed i would charge bright into them and either be wiped out or suffer heavy casualties

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

The key to a Novgorod campaign is very simple:

Castles.

The best way to get your economy and defense up and running at the same time is to convert all border provinces to castles, and all interior provinces to cities. as you expand, begin to convert more and more as you go. This is important, because you are surrounded on 3 sides by 4 potential enemies, of which are extremely dangerous.

What I did was allied with the Teutonic order, but they soon betrayed me, prompting me to join forces with Lithuania. Currently, I am fighting the Mongols, Denmark, and the Teutonic order. All are being held off succesfully by flexible stacks depending on the faction. Here's my guide to it:

Fighting Mongols: keep flexible stacks, but replace any and all archers/artillery with horse archers. hopefully higher level ones.

Fighting Denmark: With the Danes, you can pretty much use a standard army at them. a little cavalry, tons and tons of Spearmen (the unit; it is the best early unit you have), several archers, and a couple trebuchets and you can conquer them with ease.

Fighting the Teutonic Order: I cannot stress this enough:

HORSE ARCHERS HORSE ARCHERS HORSE ARCHERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Your infantry will never stand up to their infantry, period. They can dominate you in everything except for your best archers,your horse archers, and your heaviest cavalry.
    So the best combo against a Teutonic army is several heavy horse archers, spammed heavy cavalry, and a couple infantry to protect your arty if you need any. anything else is suicide.

Fighting Lithuania: Since they have worse infantry then yours, you can use pretty much standard Spearmen and Axemen. not too big of a deal unles you let them convert to christianity and get western knights. then you are screwed.

Trade is also extremely important. I had a trade agreement with the mongols, they DoWed, and i lost 3000 in income.
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

Allied with the danes and lithuanians as soon as i could. Took all rebel towns i could. Expanded the one castle town to the north i had quickly and build as many quick troops as i could. Made trade agreements with all other nations, this is nice because when they attack you they get a reputation penalty. After that i waited till i got attacked, luring them with some empty towns at the border with all my concentrated troops hiding in the forest. As soon as the teutons attacked i quickly countered them and took one of their big castle towns. I expanded the castle town and rushed straight for riga. With lithuania and me bashing at their walls they eventually cracked after 6-7 tries. I had to do most work though because lithuania had problems at their west border with teutons and polaks bashing them. Teutons were quickly destroyed. The polaks killed the holy roman empire, while lithuania recovered and killed the mongols. The danes than decided to betray me, i quickly conquered their hardly defended towns at my northern border. After that i conquered the rebel islands and took sweden. The rest will follow later,

update:
    The Polaks and danes decided to fight eachother. At the same time lithuania started to grow as the prime military power and started a religious war against me sending in all their bisschops(about 8 of them all full piety bars) So yeah i had no choiche but to make an army off assasins and remove them from my territory. When i slayed them all, they got angry and declared war. I quickly spearheaded their capital, which was hardly defended, in negotiations i forced them to give up two other towns which split their teritory in half. Meanwhile my economy is very strong and i can spend whatever i want because i have way to much money. (120k and growing even with full spendage) The wave of hurt me less than my enemies and now im really the strongest power in the world.(at all fronts) Now im building up gunpowder troops , so i can face the tarters, which i guess will invade sometime soon. I'll probably tease the lithuanians some more taking a bit more towns, because im worried about the polaks, that are allied with lithuania and are winning their war against the danes. Taking all in account i will probably be victorious even when i have to fight all three of them. I will try to get the last few teutonic towns under lithuanian control. That's it maybe a new update tommorow.

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

Welcome to the .org Russian bear!
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

Thank you Prussian to the Iron!

As for my story:

It ended with everyone declaring war to me. The danes took back Scandinavia and there was very little i could do about that, because their troops were very powerfull and outnumbered me. Than i attacked the polaks in the south , this front got quickly stuck facing both lithuania and poland. Than i opened a new front to the north and really send everything that was still left in my towns there. Most of those towns being former teutonic towns, they were important targets, while they have the biggest castle city's in game. And they were coastal city's, so i could prevent suprise naval attacks on my islands. Lithuania northern pocket was quickly overrun by my forces. Now the polaks had to fight me on two fronts. While the Polaks still had numerical adavantage, my troops were quickly catching up and were far more trained in rank than the polak army. After capturing some of their important towns like Danzig they surrendered and we had peace negotiations in which i forced them too hand over two more towns. I than did the same with lithuania who still had their southern ex- mogol pocket. I allied them both and they helped me in my fight against the almighty danes. The Danes put up much resistance, way more than i expected and i was happy i had allies fighting them too. The Polaks were loosing towns too the danes, i took them from the Danes and gave them back to the Polaks, improving my relationship with Poland and keeping them in the race. When the Danes finally started to crack, a new fase started. No more giving back towns to the Polaks and time for religious warfare against my allies.(p.s. by now i won the map, but kept playing for a bit longer) I put all my 15 priest on a lithuanian town put in a spy and used an assasin to destroy public order buildings. Revolt in no time, killed the rebels with my troops and took the town. I repeated this proces with the other towns of lithuania and poland. Than i attacked the remainders of the Danes and everyone was destroyed.

- The End -

p.s. I now started playing Jerusalem kingdom in the Crusader campaign. I might make a simular diary on it soon. Although it is not going very well, because i lost some major battles.(playing to aggresive :p) But yeah playing the actual battles is normally my weakest point so im not to worried, because my economy is nr. 1 as always.