Thread: Retreating via a port

Playing Takeda on hard, I was badly knocked about by the Hojo in the east, but was doing well against the Mori in the west (hadn't read ShaiHulud's advice at the time). In the east my Daimyo was eventually forced back to Izu with the last remnants of his army. At the time I had no heirs, so in a desperate attempt to save his/my neck and the game, I built a port in Izu to ferry him out to Aki.

After the port was built in Izu the Hojo duly attacked. No problem, I thought, I'll simply abandon the province and everyone will turn up safely in Aki in time for breakfast.

They never made it. The retreat didn't work, the Daimyo died, and that was that.

I'm sure it's a feature rather than a bug, but shouldn't retreats via a port be possible?
    The general claimed the troops owed their victory to him, but in truth they knew it was their gift to the general.

I also hoped ports could be used as a retreat avenue, but it doesn't work that way in the game. You have to recognized the lost cause, and move out before the final battle. At least the ai will not follow you.

MizuYuuki ~~~
    Clan Takiyama ~~~

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

I must admit, I was hanging around to collect the koku on the port I'd built. That'll teach me, I suppose...
    The general claimed the troops owed their victory to him, but in truth they knew it was their gift to the general.

Ho! that was Good! For a few Koku the army was lost!...no, the province..no, wait no heirs, so the game
    Hope you saved game before move.
    It is good to know that in oder to retreat through port you must make the decision to do so yourself.
    The only thing you have to regret are the chances not taken.
    Expect the unexpected and take in air.

Yep, I did see the funny side of it myself. That's what you get for trusting them when they say "your troops will attempt to retreat to a friendly province". And I tell you, Aki was all set to be very friendly for first thing in the morning: the tea was brewing, the sandwiches were made, and even the YA had washed their armpits.

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

However, if you attack via a port and lose the battle, your army is pushed back to the port from whence you came. (whence?)
    I had always assumed that a port attack was an all-or-nothing affair, with a defeat meaning the annihilation of the attacking arym, but it's not the case.