Thread: Medieval-The path to the Dark Ages.

Yorkist Senior Member NagatsukaShumi's Avatar

Medieval-The path to the Dark Ages

Work has just begun on Medieval-The path to the Dark Ages, and what a MOD this will be. Recently I aquired the help of Lord Krazy to help me make new units, or rather edit the current ones. This is great news for all that will be playing this MOD as you won't simply get the units with different names and stats, you'll get new units to play with and they will be balanced out so that we don't get a re-incarnation of the honour 9 Yari Ashigaru. When playing this MOD I'm sure that you will love Medieval even more than before with all new challenges and teams. This MOD will be the biggest project I've ever undertaken, and I'm very glad to have the following people helping me out :-

Damien Reddy (Lord Krazy)
    Micheal (Galestrum)

I am very honoured to have both a Roman histrory expert and a unit graphics editor here to help me out, and with them I'm sure that the MOD can become a very good MOD and a very enjoyable game for both you the Total War fans to play and maybe even the guys who made it possible, Creative Assemblies. Now enough of who I've got helping me out as they should know how grateful I am, lets talk about what you guys have to look forward to, plus some Q&A!

Features
    -Everything changed, nothing remains the same at all barely.
    -New music.
    -Historically accurate and fun to play, what more can you ask for!?
    -New Glorious Achievements for you to fulfill, can you save Rome from been crushed by the Huns or Reunite the Empire as one entity?
    -New maps, all new maps! The enviroment that the Romans and other people would have encountered are there so you don't get maps that are unrealistic to their time period.
    -New textures for maps, you may even fight on the streets of Rome in certain battles (Not in SP Campaign)
    -Historical Battles and Campaigns relevent to the Romans and the Dark Ages, they will get regular enough updates.
    -Updates confirmed! If something doesn't work, it'll be patched and made to work, even the units when balanced to a nice degree will be made even more balanced till they are perfect. So lets just say, once it's released I won't leave it to rot, I'll make it even better with updates.
    -I will make a back-up file available for when you want to go back to the normal MTW, although I don't know whether these will include files that have been patched.

Well there's the CONFIRMED features, but I still have no testers, it'd be great if guys like TosaInu etc would offer to be a tester, but anyone can be, just contact me at samandshirley@splaxton.fsnet.co.uk .

Q&A

1)Units, will they remain the same or be changed?

They shall be changed, the graphics, the name, the strengths and weaknesses, everything I can do really. So you won't be seeing Mongol Heavy Cavalrymen, instead you'll get something like Visigothian Heavy Cavalrymen. Plus they'll be balanced so the Roman Soldiers won't absolutely crush the Huns Cavalry charge for example, things like that basically so that no unit is superior over others unless of coarse it's a relationship like Spearmen and Cavalry for example.

2)What era is it set in?

It will be set in four different era's-The Collapse, Reconquest of the West, The Rise of Islam and The Age of Vikings. Now these campaigns will NOT all be in the first MOD, just the Collapse will be in the first MOD and there is a good reason for this. Basically in these four campaigns there are different factions as some factions power was no longer adequate to really be playable in this time i.e. Huns weren't powerful enough to be a playable faction in the Rise of Islam, hopefully that makes sense. Now basically the MOD will be released in four era packs, so they will all have new units and factions and of coarse challenges. So the first will be the Collapse pack where you can play as people like the Eastern or Western Empire or the Huns, Visigoths etc.

3)Will the heroes be changed?

Oh yes as the Churchill Dog would say. So now as the Huns you'll get guys like Attilla the Hun, not say William Wallace or Robin of Locksley. Basically I'll put as many heroes I can into the game, though some may not really be classed as heroes and may just be added to fill up the list, this is of coarse unless I can delete heroes.

4)Eastern and Western Empires? What are they?

Well I don't know much about them historically but basically from where the MOD starts the Roman Empire was split in two, one in the Rome area and the other in the Constantinople area. In the first MOD, The Collapse, you will be able to play as both Empires. This campaign will be very diplomacy based and trade and peace between the empires will be very helpful when trying to execute the the problem of the Huns and the Visigoths.

5)So each pack only has one campaign?

Nope, they will all have three starting at different points in the time period each pack represents, so you won't just get one because I feel that would be pretty boring and make the MOD very repetitve very quickly.

6)How much will this be tested?

Quite alot actually, I'm not going to release an un-tested campaign into the community, l if I did there would be alot of complaints of different problems arising and I don't want that.

7)So once each oen is done is that it?

Oh no thats not it at all, I'll release add on's to each pack like different battles, new unit stats and so one, so once it's released it final breath it won't be over by any means, other stuff will be released for it.

8)After it's finished what are you going to do?

Rest. . Seriously I will rest for a majority of the time afterwards simply because it'll tire me out and I'd like to spend quality time with my Medieval game myself instead of having a MOD to do along with playing it. Plus I'll eb around for a while to help you out with stuff then I'll just rest and occassionally check out what you guys are doing with it.

9)When's it going to be done?

It'll be done when it's done, that all I am going to say about that, but don't worry I'll inform you and I'll post lots of piccies for the little uns' .

10)If I find a problem will you remedy it?

Simple answer, yes I will cure and problems in the MOD.

11)Any big names helping out?

Erm, if they want to help test I'd be honoured to let them, or if they can help in any other way (Map making etc) I'll be honoured to have them on the team.

12)Any website?

Well..... nope not at the moment, if the org would like to give me webspace then I'd gladly accept and make a site. If they would then they can mail me or reply to this message, or I will e-mail them with the idea.

13)Guide?

Erm, there will be a guide produced and out for the MOD yes, it'd be great if guys like DD would offer to help out, but if not then I suppose I could compile it myself.

14)Missing Links?

Missing Links will be made too during the progress so don't worry about that.

Anyway, thats enough from me, reply with any questions you'd like and expect a few screenshots when I get the game.

------------------
    Power to the Sultan!
    -Clan Seljuk
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

oh man.......you rule

------------------
    What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby? Maybe we'll never know.
    What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby? Maybe we'll never know.

please
    think of the kittens....
    please, think of the kittens : https://www.msu.edu/~balocati/godkills.jpg

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

this belongs in the modding section,

there is an awful lot of work to accomplish this,
    and you've not seen the full release yet,
    good luck with it all, it would be great to see some of these ideas become reality

------------------
    Clan Doragons Medieval Website
    Mods, Unit Descriptions and more
    DoragonBarocca of Clan Doragon
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

They should be, and the only things I've confirmed is things I know can be done from responses from Ca themselves and looking at files etc. So all should be easy enough to do.
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

Senior Member Senior Member Lord Krazy's Avatar

I think we should be banished to
    the modding section too.lol

LK

Banish us! Gah!
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

Senior Member Senior Member Shiro's Avatar

Banished. Check this out there.

------------------
    "Everything Shiro said sounds good to me."
    -Solypsist
    ------------------
    "Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense"
    -Order of the Garter Motto
    "Everything Shiro said sounds good to me."
    -Solypsist
    "Catiline is the one with the black rag and Shiro is erm...the other one..."
    -Tosa