Thread: some casual observations

Senior Member Senior Member Forward Observer's Avatar

When you start a campaign you always have an emissary and a ninja, but no training facilities for either. Do we assume that they went to correspondence school, or are they just self made men?

When I invade a province and the defender decides to retreat instead of fighting, facilities are still destroyed. Did the former tenants destroy them or did my men do it out of spite because they missed a fight.

The guy who reports crop returns always blames the peasents for bad crops, and praises my rulership for good crops. Is he a kiss-ass or what?

I it just me or do the Hojo's seem almost as annoying as, say---Kevin Costner. Not quite but almost.

The rebels always wear white. I thought that the bad guys wore black. Maybe they are the good guys.

Almost always, just before battle when those drums start up, one or two of my carefully placed defenders decide to shuffle off somewhere in spite of my explicit orders. Did they not pay attention in the pre-battle briefing, or are they dance crazy and just have to move ot the beat of the drum?

Instead of Super duper Geishas, why didn't the developers just give ninjas the G.I. Joe kung fu grip. (I may have to explain this reference to the kids. Back in the late 60's or early 70's ,Hasbro, who made the GI Joe dolls, introduced a line of them with spring loaded gripping hands which they called GI Joe with kung fu grip. It always sounded funny to me.)

After a successsful battle with a really good kill ratio, there is always one or two units that I feel deserve special commendation. Wouldn't it be nice if I were able to give them either special honor awards, milk and cookies, or at least an extra ration of sake and hookers.

Even when routing, the commander of any army (non-Diamyo) is 10 times harder to kill than the rest of his troops. He must be hopped up on crack or something because he just couldn't be that good.

This same general should be vulnerable to arrow fire like everyone else but nooooh! During a bridge attack, I once hammered a command unit that would not move with 4 successive archer units. The arrows killed every last man, but the general who was obviously immune. He finally shot us the bird, and relieved his bladder on a big pile of our arrows. I had the last laugh though, because later I surrounded his butt with about 300 men and stuck him like the pig he was.

The Portuguese and later the Dutch show up with Arquebusses and muskets. Now, if the Germans show up, we can have Mausers. Let it rain, baby. Let it rain.

I hope this nonsense doesn't bother anyone beacuse I find it therapeutic to write stuff about my favorite (non combat flight-sim) game, but if it does, just two words--bite me. Cheers.

------------------
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

[This message has been edited by Forward Observer (edited 04-22-2001).]
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

I have one thing to add:
    Whenevery you fight a battle and your general is running, it says he is a disgrace and coward. But if he dies when running it says he sacraficed his life in battle with great honor
    - A conclusion is simply the place where someone got tired of thinking.
    - The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history.

To a large extent it does make sense that Taisho/Daimyo characters are harder to kill than the rest of his unit, since part of the purpose of the unit is to act as his bodyguard.

As far as I know you don't have to kill every last member of a unit to kill the leader - I believe I've lost the occassional leader due to a 'Harold' arrow shot from some lucky enemy archer, and knocking off the enemy taisho is far from impossible, especially when the rest of the unit is running.

Actually what DOES bug me most is the fact I have accidentally lost heirs due to the fact that they were merely a unit commander and not the taisho in a battle, and unit commanders do seem to cop it far more easily.....

I'm fairly certain that heirs should in some way be part of the command unit, since once your units are on the field its a little difficult to remember which one contains daddys pride and joy!!

Life is short
    And Then You die

I have killed Genrals with arrows,not many,maybe 2-4.
    its logical that the genral will have "gods protection" over him,after all if he would be as all other man you will never have a rank 6 genral!

------------------
    "A WISE MAN ONCE SAID,LETS KICK THAIR ASS!"
    "A WISE MAN ONCE SAID,LETS KICK THAIR ASS!"

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

FO... lol

I need no longer feel shame for my inanity, for I'm no longer alone in it...hehe

------------------
    Wind fells blossoms, rain
    fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks
    O stranger, Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their will.....

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

FO,LOL.I used to have that GI Joe with the Kungfu grip.Brings back fond memories,wish I still had him he's worth about $1500 to collectors.
    Tito
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Daimyos and other Taishos use Buffout and Psycho before fights. ;-)

------------------
    He is justly served; It is a poison temper'd by himself.
    He is justly served; It is a poison temper'd by himself.

Kung-Fu Grip. That's an STD isn't it? No, maybe I'm thinking of the Kung-Fu Drip.

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

Quote When you start a campaign you always have an emissary and a ninja, but no training facilities for either. Do we assume that they went to correspondence school, or are they just self made men?[/QUOTE]

Actually the structures are in place; right down to the ninja dojo for Imagawa.

Actually what DOES bug me most is the fact I have accidentally lost heirs due to the fact that they were merely a unit commander and not the taisho in a battle, and unit commanders do seem to cop it far more easily.....

I'm fairly certain that heirs should in some way be part of the command unit, since once your units are on the field its a little difficult to remember which one contains daddys pride and joy!!

[/B][/QUOTE]
    I have read in other posts that this does happen and it would be prudent to keep daddy and junior in separate armies to prevent the possibility of both losing their life during same battle and a potential early end-of-game.
    I always keep the heir(s) as Taisho/General of another army to train and increase their honor in the event of the death of Diaymo for whatever reason....even Dunhill's Kung-Fu Drip!
    The only thing you have to regret are the chances not taken.
    Expect the unexpected and take in air.

FO:

Very funny.
    As good as your other "top ten" like post.
    “You know the sound of thunder Mrs. Garret."
    "Ofcourse"
    "Can you imagine that sound if I asked you to?"
    "Yes I can Mr. Hickok."
    "Your husband and me had this talk, and I told him to head home to avoid a dark result. But I didn't say it in thunder. Ma'am, listen to the thunder.”