Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Quick update (Updated July 28th!)

Default Re: Quick update

great looking units there Tar! thanks for the previews
    O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti täde
    keimetha tois keinon rhämasi peithomenoi!

Thanks guys!

Cadwalader: I'm glad you like the dragon pikemen, I really wanted a sort of "gothic pikemen" unit. They're the second best pikemen in the game after Gunderland Nobles, who are basically normal Gundermen in better armour.

Justiciar: Even though I don't agree with Dark Horses' Romanised Aquilonians, I have to admit a Roman-type unit was cool. Since Acheron is the Hyborian equivalent of the Roman Empire (run by evil sorcerers) it seemed fitting to have a throwback unit that persists to Conan's time. I personally think the Aquilonian Black Legion and Black Dragons date back to Acheron too, except they adopted plate armour and hyborian weapons.

The map (which was never really worked on much apart from provinces and such) has been scrapped, in favour of Vincent Darlage's awesome maps, which he has very kindly allowed me to use and adapt for the mod. This map is based on rigourous research and toil to create a Hyborian Age map that is accurate to Howard, as well as beautifully fleshing out the landscape, terrain and environment. The regions and settlements are pretty much the same, though one or two have to be nudged around.

I'd post a link, but unfortunately the site that hosts his maps has exceeded it's bandwidth, so I'll post my versions of the map (with faction overlays) soon. He even sent me the bump maps he used - what a guy!

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world, like blue mantles beneath the stars...
    Is fhearr fheuchainn na bhith san duil.

it's a great map, and big props to Vincent for letting you use them. here's a link to the aforementioned map:http://www.enworld.org/Inzeladun/conan/map.htm
    Last edited by Senta; 12-01-2007 at 05:57.
    O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti täde
    keimetha tois keinon rhämasi peithomenoi!

Ah, that's one of his old maps, though it's still very similar to the new one and gives a good idea of the mod's map.

The new maps basically flesh out the Black Kingdoms and east of the Vilayet, which look totally different geo-politically. The Hyborian nations are pretty much identical though, seeings as they're both based on Bob's own illustrations.

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world, like blue mantles beneath the stars...

Here's a good map I found:

Another quick update to explain what's going on:

On the Hyborian Age side of things: progress is going a bit slower than hoped, but I've managed a few extremely cool new things, specifically regarding siege weapons and projectiles. No pictures yet, they'll go in a mini-preview dedicated to weapons which will appear soon, since Argos is proving a lot more complicated (and hopefully interesting) than I thought.

In non-Hyborian news, I'm also now an official Europa Barbarorum member! Having received an invitation and being a huge fan I simply couldn't refuse. Although I'm going to do my best for EB, it won't be at the expense of Hyborian Age: it's in addition to the work I'm doing, not supplanting/infringing upon it, so don't worry about Hyborian Age going by the wayside. I feel this would be useful to help me hone my craft as well as contributing to a much bigger project, so that The Hyborian Age will be enriched.

Apart from all that, I've had some... interesting events in my personal life going on, unfortunately slowing down the mod further, but things are picking up so hopefully the mod will get back on track soon.

yaay
    Also welcome to Europa Barbarorum. That is my favorite mod since they released the first beta.

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

Hey,congradulations! I'll definitely have to get EBII when it comes out now.

I,too,like the Dragon Pikemen,and also the Legion of Acheron. Are the Dragon Pikemen,by any chance,a branch of the Black Dragons (but not necessarily a general's bodyguard unit),or not?

How about adding an execution stipulation to the Black Guard's profile: I don't know how historical it is,but the profile for BI.exe's Imperial German Bodyguard stated something like,"If their charge died,the bodyguards themselves faced execution,and so had a vested interest in seeing their employer survive."
    Last edited by Spartan198; 03-08-2008 at 06:06.
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanGlory198
    Hey,congradulations! I'll definitely have to get EBII when it comes out now.

I,too,like the Dragon Pikemen,and also the Legion of Acheron. Are the Dragon Pikemen,by any chance,a branch of the Black Dragons (but not necessarily a general's bodyguard unit),or not?
    They are indirectly related. Both Aquilonia and Nemedia have a lot of Acheronian influences in their cultures: basically, all the latin or "Roman" elements of those nations are remnants of Acheron. In addition, the two nations have a dragon as a royal standard: given the heavy symbolism prevalent in Hour of the Dragon of Xaltotun and Acheron, I'm treating this as part of Acheronian heritage. Dragon Pikemen and Black Dragons are both linked to Acheron.

The Dragon Pikemen and Black Dragons are thus perpetuations of Acheron's influence on the kingdoms. The main difference is that Dragon Pikemen are relatively recent innovations developed to counter the Gundermen: the Black Dragons have an almost uninterrupted lineage back to Acheron.

How about adding an execution stipulation to the Black Guard's profile: I don't know how historical it is,but the profile for BI.exe's Imperial German Bodyguard stated something like,"If their charge died,the bodyguards themselves faced execution,and so had a vested interest in seeing their employer survive."
    A nice touch, yes.

Sorry it's been so long since the last preview, but since taking on cherryfunk a lot of options which weren't available to me before have opened up, and this means some big changes. The nature of those changes will be explained in the inaugural Conan: Total War preview, but I thought I'd give you chaps some fun things to speculate on:

Nine more factions have been added to the first release.

Five of the new factions will be playable, four unplayable.

One of the original factions has been replaced with a larger, more unusual faction.

Battlefield magic has become something truly terrifying to behold.

The regions/settlement plans are almost complete.

And, just to show you all I'm not being a lazy heathen...

Who are these chaps? What is their role? Whom do they serve? And where do they get those nifty sashes?

Quote Originally Posted by Taranaich
    Sorry it's been so long since the last preview, but since taking on cherryfunk a lot of options which weren't available to me before have opened up, and this means some big changes. The nature of those changes will be explained in the inaugural Conan: Total War preview, but I thought I'd give you chaps some fun things to speculate on:

Nine more factions have been added to the first release.

Five of the new factions will be playable, four unplayable.

One of the original factions has been replaced with a larger, more unusual faction.

Battlefield magic has become something truly terrifying to behold.

The regions/settlement plans are almost complete.
    Great news,especially on the factions. Just means more choices when the beta comes out. Though I'm anxious to see what this "larger,more unusual" faction is.

And, just to show you all I'm not being a lazy heathen...

Who are these chaps? What is their role? Whom do they serve? And where do they get those nifty sashes?
    Wow,those are really nifty sashes. Argossean crossbowmen?
    Last edited by Spartan198; 04-18-2008 at 05:00.
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan198
    Great news,especially on the factions. Just means more choices when the beta comes out. Though I'm anxious to see what this "larger,more unusual" faction is.
    Heh heh heh...

Wow,those are really nifty sashes. Argossean crossbowmen?
    In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have given it away in the file name...

Heh heh heh...
    Uh-oh,that doesn't sound good for King Conan.
    In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have given it away in the file name...
    Actually... I took a wild guess.
    Last edited by Spartan198; 04-19-2008 at 00:17.

Actually, it's a faction that probably has rather fond memories of Conan...

It will also present a totally unique challenge to the player -- and one of the most unique campaigns of any Total War game or mod ever created...
    Last edited by cherryfunk; 04-19-2008 at 01:41.

As cherry said, the faction has generally good relations with Conan:
    unfortunately the faction leader has a major, major bone to pick with him...

Actually... I took a wild guess.
    I should've known.

As cherry said, the faction has generally good relations with Conan:
    unfortunately the faction leader has a major, major bone to pick with him...
    I misread Cherry's post. My mistake.
    But if the faction leader has a bone to pick with King Conan,it still might provide a minor annoyance to mighty Aquilonia,though.

Much more likely to cause problems for Conan's enemies in Stygia and Turan...

What,like a friendly rivalry type of bone to pick?

More because the faction doesn't have any settlements very near to Aquilonia, this faction doesn't really have Aquilonia as a priority. Then again, this faction isn't really very friendly with anyone, which makes them all the more interesting.

What,like a friendly rivalry type of bone to pick?
    Could be, could be: the justifications for both friendly and unfriendly rivalry with the Cimmerian are there. It's up to the player to decide what to do in regards to good king Conan. It's going to be quite a complex faction with many conflicting motivations among the main characters, due to the very nature of its government.

I would actually like to see Conan's main rival Thoth-Amon play a part in this mod.

Unless of course the mod takes place after the book "Conan of Aquilonia" that is

Quote Originally Posted by Codeman90
    I would actually like to see Conan's main rival Thoth-Amon play a part in this mod.
    Thoth-Amon's role in the game will be different from the pastiches and comics: although he's undoubtedly the pre-eminent sorcerer of the age, he has bigger plans and problems than to concern himself with a brainless northern barbarian such as Conan. The two times Thoth-Amon does interact with Conan (in God in the Bowl and The Phoenix on the Sword), it's sheer coincidence: both were assassinations, which Conan just happened to be a witness to, and there's no direct contact. There's no indication that Thoth-Amon has any emotions towards Conan apart from apathy, or at most irritation, in the original tales.

Having said that, that doesn't mean you don't have to play it that way: that's just the default position in the game. If you play as Stygia or Aquilonia you can choose to make the rivalry happen, and the two nations are bound to come to blows at some point. Whatever you choose to do, Thoth-Amon will have quite a unique (and powerful) role in the mod, be certain of that!

Unless of course the mod takes place after the book "Conan of Aquilonia" that is
    The mod takes place some time after The Hour of the Dragon: exactly how long is still being ironed out, but it's in the region of 6 months to two years.

The pastiches will not be a primary source for the mod: a few elements might make their way in, but only if they don't contradict the original tales or are deemed "Un-Howardian" in tone.

The mod's inspirations and resources are thus:

1. The original Conan stories, fragments, drafts and synopses by Robert E. Howard
    2. Other Hyborian Age stories linked to the Hyborian Age by Robert E. Howard (such as the James Allison tales)
    3. Other Robert E. Howard historical tales that would complement the Hyborian Age mythos and atmosphere
    4. Elements of the Hyborian Age which are alluded to by Howard's contemporaries Clark Ashton Smith and H.P. Lovecraft
    5. Elements from worthy Conan pastiches - Karl Edward Wagner, John Maddox Roberts etc.

While this might seem restrictive, it actually allows more freedom to interpret the Hyborian Age, as well as stay true to Howard.

I for one am glad you're putting your inspirations to such scrutiny. If you were to just throw everything "Hyborian" in there regardless of its source and content, it could possibly turn out like Conan the Destroyer. And no true Conan fan wants that, right?

I for one am glad you're putting your inspirations to such scrutiny. If you were to just throw everything "Hyborian" in there regardless of its source and content, it could possibly turn out like Conan the Destroyer. And no true Conan fan wants that, right?
    It's also because the amount of Conan and Conan-related material out there is simply vast: think of the hundreds of comic issues from Marvel and Dark Horse, and the dozens of pastiche novels out there. It would be ludicrous to try and implement all those in a single mod, especially when they flatly contradict each other (even the names of Conan's parents differ in some books!)

By sticking to Howard's originals, the inconsistencies can be kept to a minimum, and any that are unavoidable (such as chronological issues between the Conan tales and the Hyborian Age essay) can be treated as the result of conflicting accounts by the Nemedian chroniclers, with the pastiches treated as anecdotal legends or myths.

A full list of sources for the mod will probably be put in a readme/manual: even discounting the pastiches/comics, there's a huge amount of material.

It's also because the amount of Conan and Conan-related material out there is simply vast: think of the hundreds of comic issues from Marvel and Dark Horse, and the dozens of pastiche novels out there. It would be ludicrous to try and implement all those in a single mod, especially when they flatly contradict each other (even the names of Conan's parents differ in some books!)

By sticking to Howard's originals, the inconsistencies can be kept to a minimum, and any that are unavoidable (such as chronological issues between the Conan tales and the Hyborian Age essay) can be treated as the result of conflicting accounts by the Nemedian chroniclers, with the pastiches treated as anecdotal legends or myths.

A full list of sources for the mod will probably be put in a readme/manual: even discounting the pastiches/comics, there's a huge amount of material.
    One of the main reasons why I am routing for you, as we all do T. is that you take the time (and have the mindset) to separate the wheat from the chaff.

It is that simple.

You like EB? Buy CA games.

Hey, does 'The Vale of Lost Women' count as wheat or chaff?

Quote Originally Posted by keravnos
    One of the main reasons why I am routing for you, as we all do T. is that you take the time (and have the mindset) to separate the wheat from the chaff.

It is that simple.
    Cheers! I try my best.

Hey, does 'The Vale of Lost Women' count as wheat or chaff?
    The unfortunate period racism/sexism aside, VoLW has some nice insight into Black Kingdom society, and the Vale itself is an intriguing place. I'd say a few kernels of wheat in an ounce of chaff personally.

Question about the black kingdoms and Kush.

Are they going to be more like Axum and Songhai; the city dwellers are civilized, but they have tribal levies and elites that are pretty back asswards, or, are they going to be mostly naked spearmen/archer armies?

Join the Army: A Pontic AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=96984
    ...uh coptic mother****er:A Makuria Comedy AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...93#post1814493

Quote Originally Posted by russia almighty
    Are they going to be more like Axum and Songhai; the city dwellers are civilized, but they have tribal levies and elites that are pretty back asswards, or, are they going to be mostly naked spearmen/archer armies?
    Kush will resemble the earlier Nubians, but elements of Axum will probably be in evidence. Although there was a strong Stygian/Egyptian influence in the Chaga (Stygian-Kushite nobility), after the events of Snout in the Dark the Chaga seemed to have been wiped out or at least ousted from the country.

Kush's army will pretty much consist of lots of tribal levies and a few powerful elites: their soldiers are probably the weakest of the barbarian factions, but environmental bonuses, cheap cost and vast numbers work to their advantage.

Although Kush is the only black kingdom faction, each of the other black kingdom regions will have their own character and culture, so the Kush player will have the feeling of forging a great Southern Empire.
    Last edited by Taranaich; 05-25-2008 at 11:42.

When's that Argos preview coming? I've been looking forward to it for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
    When's that Argos preview coming? I've been looking forward to it for a while now.
    I'm afraid to say the Argos preview's been put on hold until after the inaugural Conan: Total War preview, which is itself an unspecified distance away. Sorry to disappoint.

Given the amount of time between previews though, I'm going to start using this thread as a mini-preview thread, where if there is a long time between previews me & cherryfunk will post a screenshot or piece of information pertaining to the mod just to keep the community informed. It's been such a long time since the Turan thread that I'm feeling kind of guilty that you lads have been kept in the dark, though me and cherryfunk have done a lot of work in the private forums.

So every so often if there's no big preview, I'll try to put something here for your perusal. I'm ironing out the first mini-preview, which should be out this week at the very most.

Thanks for your patience!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast