Thread: Teutonic Campaign: The Mongols

Default Teutonic Campaign: The Mongols

You must edit the game files before this faction is playable. To do so:

Open your main M2TW directory, then mods, teutonic, data, world, maps, campaign, imperial campaign, then the file called 'description_strat'. Edit the top section so it looks like this:
    Code:
    campaign		imperial_campaign
    playable
    	teutonic_order
    	lithuania
    	denmark
    	novgorod
    	mongols

end
    unlockable
    	hre
    	poland

end
    nonplayable
    	norway
    	kalmar_union
    	slave
    end
    The Mongols do not have any victory conditions when modded into play.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Master of Puppets Member hellenes's Avatar

Default Re: Teutonic Campaign: The Mongols

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg
    You must edit the game files before this faction is playable. To do so:

Open your main M2TW directory, then mods, teutonic, data, world, maps, campaign, imperial campaign, then the file called 'description_strat'. Edit the top section so it looks like this:
    Code:
    campaign		imperial_campaign
    playable
    	teutonic_order
    	lithuania
    	denmark
    	novgorod
    	mongols

end
    unlockable
    	hre
    	poland

end
    nonplayable
    	norway
    	kalmar_union
    	slave
    end
    The Mongols do not have any victory conditions when modded into play.
    I have a question how do i change the kings purse to not be negative?
    Impunity is an open wound in the human soul.

ΑΙΡΕΥΟΝΤΑΙ ΕΝ ΑΝΤΙ ΑΠΑΝΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΑΡΙΣΤΟΙ ΚΛΕΟΣ ΑΕΝΑΟΝ ΘΝΗΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΔΕ ΠΟΛΛΟΙ ΚΕΚΟΡΗΝΤΑΙ ΟΚΩΣΠΕΡ ΚΤΗΝΕΑ

The best choose one thing in exchange for all, everflowing fame among mortals; but the majority are satisfied with just feasting like beasts.

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

@hellenes

remove the - in front of the 2500 in the descr_strat.

It should look like 2500 in stead of -2500.
    Tosa Inu

Master of Puppets Member hellenes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Alphonse
    @hellenes

remove the - in front of the 2500 in the descr_strat.

It should look like 2500 in stead of -2500.

THAANKKSSS MAAAN!!!!!!!!!!!
    Impunity is an open wound in the human soul.

ΑΙΡΕΥΟΝΤΑΙ ΕΝ ΑΝΤΙ ΑΠΑΝΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΑΡΙΣΤΟΙ ΚΛΕΟΣ ΑΕΝΑΟΝ ΘΝΗΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΔΕ ΠΟΛΛΟΙ ΚΕΚΟΡΗΝΤΑΙ ΟΚΩΣΠΕΡ ΚΤΗΝΕΑ

The best choose one thing in exchange for all, everflowing fame among mortals; but the majority are satisfied with just feasting like beasts.

Started playing with mongols recently. Neither did I change victory conditions nor the kings purse. The victory conditions since I didn't bother, though planning on the standard amount of cities, with Krakow and Novgorod required. The negative kings purse may be an error by CA or WAD. Afterall you only have a small part of the Golden Horde territory, and most resources would go to more important fighting in the east- so if one does not want -2500, I would say just go with -500, 0 or 500.

Nevertheless, with -2500, one does not make any profit at start, one lose money (~2400 to begin with). So first ting is getting ones economy up and running. Let your diplomats sell trade rights for as much as possible (I also ended up allying with the TO, the only one who would accept alliance, have not spoken with the Polish yet though but I think it is unlikely that they accept as well). Conquer the independent settlements around, Lvov is very important (it allowed me to make a profit apart from the cash received from diplomacy), and don't be afraid to disband some units if you feel it is needed and they can't be used to grab yet another settlement.

Apart from economic woes, two problems arise. First your cities don't share your religion, they are orthodox while you are muslim. And the second is that all your starting family members are illoyal bastards, so keep your heir in his city where he won't rebel, while the other one heads with his army to nearest village, and assault it immediately.

Army is what one would expect. Infantry is basic spearmen and decent foot archers, the strength of the mongol army is the cavalry with its horse archers and lancers.
    We have this almost mythical tree, given to us by the otherwise hostile people in the east to symbolize our friendship and give us permission to send caravans through their lands. It could be said to symbolize the wealth and power of our great nation. Cut it down and make me a throne.

Question Re: Teutonic Campaign: The Mongols

when i cut and paste the mongols and other factions into the playable portion of the descr_strat, and then try to save my changes, i cant do it because it is a read only file, so then when i change the name to descr_strat1 or something, it says the path way is incorrect?
    am i doing something wrong?

right click the decri_strat file and uncheck read only then click apply

Quote Originally Posted by Laman
    The negative kings purse may be an error by CA or WAD. Afterall you only have a small part of the Golden Horde territory, and most resources would go to more important fighting in the east- so if one does not want -2500, I would say just go with -500, 0 or 500.
    The negative purse is there to prevent the AI Mongols from expanding too quickly. They (and Norway) don't get any financial help every turn either (7000 per turn to each faction on VH). I think the max purse in Teutonic is 1500.
    I found the Mongols quite fun and replacing arquebusiers/musketeers with 4 units of rocket launchers worked really well

Warrior on the edge of time Member kitbogha's Avatar

Hi all,
    Just did the mod and played the first 24 turns (surprisingly easy even for a semi-computer-literate like me, when I finally worked out how to access the files). It's great and I can't wait to get off work tonight and continue. The Mongols have a great selection of troops available. This is an interesting campaign to play and rewrite history. I have no intention, for instance, of returning to Mongolia and abandoning the conquest of Europe when Ogedei passes on.
    Just one more thing. I would be intrigued to play the Mongols in the Crusades campaign. Can this be modded in the same way?
    "I like a man who grins when he fights"
    Winston Churchill.
    "It is not sufficient that I suceed - all others must fail.”
    Genghis Khan

Warrior on the edge of time Member kitbogha's Avatar

Played a few more turns on this and as my cousins in Liverpool might say, it's "dead boss!" (trans-"fantastic")....
    At turn 90, 24 settlements under the control of the Mongol Khan Subedei the Ugly.
    So far it's been pretty much a walkover: wiping out the local rebel settlements, then the friendless Lithuanian pagans, then the seriously overrated armies of Novgorod. Finally, though a worthy adversary has come to the fore-my erstwhile allies, the Teutonic Order have finally shown their true colours and attacked several of my settlements.
    I have yet to fight them, they have three of my towns in what was latterly Lithuania under siege and have moved a full stack down to Cracow where Subedei has just defeated two HRE armies with contemptuous ease. Next turn there will bloodshed aplenty and we will see. I can't help thinking that I should have dealt with this particular serpent while it was still a mere worm, though....
    A question:-when do I get access to some decent heavy cavalry?
    "I like a man who grins when he fights"
    Winston Churchill.
    "It is not sufficient that I suceed - all others must fail.”
    Genghis Khan

Heaps Gooder Member aimlesswanderer's Avatar

Is is just me or do the starting relos all have zero traits and abilities apart from Faction Leader and Faction Heir? That's a bit of a problem.

The inability to build imams is also problematic, I have to resort to surrounding priests who wander in. Religious unrest takes ages to go down when relying only on mosques.

Money isn't a problem after the initial stage, just build the mines and roads and money rolls in.

After taking the rebel settlements and 4 Lithuanian ones I am looking at trying to get a Vassal for once, since I have a good (or at least not so bad reputation).
    "All things are born from darkness, and all things return to darkness". Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

Merciless Mauler Member TheLastPrivate's Avatar

The Generals don't even have proper bodyguards, they have Khan's guard instead.

I personally think all of this negative purse and traitless generals are CA's oversight, not giving them proper attention as they aren't a playable faction.

I modded the campaign file to give them proper bodyguards and some traits like frickin' loyalty, making the campaign more legitimate.

Gae Ma Ki Byung:
    Possibly the earliest full-armored heavy cavalry in human history, deployed by the Goguryeo from the 3rd century A.D.

Post Re: Teutonic Campaign: The Mongols

I recently modded the Teutonic campaign to include Norway and the Golden Horde as playable factions. Though I've had nothing but trouble with "fixing" Norway's recruitable unit lineup, my experience with the Mongols has been interesting, thus far.

I changed the Kings Purse to zero, although one could make a case for keeping it at -2500. In my original, non-modded campaign as the Danes, the Mongols expanded just fine even with the hit to the treasury. I myself am not sure, as yet if the -2500 purse is as has been mentioned WAD or a mistake. I also changed the way Mongol units were recruited, putting less emphasis on getting units from castles/city walls and I added in Dismounted Archers, Light and Heavy Lancers so the unit lineup would be more diverse. Furthermore I gave traits to the initial family members so their loyalty would be more on par with reality then entirely nonexistent.

My initial impressions on Hard/Hard seem to show an unwillingness of other factions to engage me, at least in the early going. I took L'vov and Chernobyl and I've been busy upgrading my economic capacity. Life early on is hard and the treasury frequently went negative, disbanding units helps but waiting out the garrison at L'vov took time too and that was a contributing factor. The Mongols can't recruit Imams, which makes sense in a way since they were generally tolerant of other faiths. This means unrest of the religious type early on, though building Masjids helps quite a bit. In my modding I arbitrarily selected Poland as my area of expansion, making Cracow and others required cities for victory, I may change that decision later but ironically the Poles were eager to ally with me in the early going. At the moment the only real warring is going on between Norway, the Danes and the Holy Roman Empire, the Eastern front is all quiet.

I'll have to see how things turn out and come up with a better strategy for early expansion, this is my first time using the Mongols and it seems like an interesting way to go in a campaign designed around the Teutonic Order.
    "Religion is a thing which the king cannot command, because no man can be compelled to believe against his will..."

Red face Re: Teutonic Campaign: The Mongols

it is very good!!

Not much going on in this thread, so I'll liven it up a bit.

Firstly, while the mongols start off with their generals using Khan's Guard, new family members will in fact receive proper general's bodyguard, which will help immensely, as the mongols cannot build heavy cavalry until you capture Polish or Teutonic castles.

In my game, I first captured neutral cities and built up an economy. All the computer factions seemed to not attack me for some reason. I then conquered Russia easily. Their horse archers are inferior to those of the mongols, so they are an easy target. Once you have access to mongol heavy archers, the Teutons should be next. I expected a tough fight, being that their military outnumbered mine, but they went down fast. They simply cannot compete with armies of heavy horse archers. Their knights, while strong, are easily bogged down by spearmen and attacked from the rear. I blitzed through the faction like lightning, only slowed down by citadels. I never assaulted those, instead waiting the 9 turns or so.

The polish put up a much stiffer resistance. Their very strong polish knights go straight for your lines, and will punch a hole straight through your very weak spearmen. I finally ended up combating them by sending my own knights directly at them.

By the time I reached the west, The Holy Roman Empire was no more and Denmark was all that remained. They, like the Teutonic Order, are no match for massed armies of heavy horse archers and Khan's Gaurd will destroy a full unit of Danish Axemen on a frontal charge.

As for your units, heavy horse archers are the MVP. Strong archery, strong armor, strong melee with maces. Once gunpowder becomes available, rocket launchers can single handedly win battles. I always keep them handy. Khan's Guard, obviously, are the best heavy cavalry in the game. Once you sack a few Fortresses and Citadels, you can start using them to sweep through your enemies. In the early game, use your generals offensively, as they are your only effective knights. Light lancers are good support, but cannot do the same sort of damage.

My ideal force is a general, 4 units of Spearmen, 4 units of foot archers, 2 rocket launchers, and the rest of the army made up of heavy horse archers (and khan's guard when they become available).

Your weakness will be seige battles. Your only non spear foot infantry are mongol infantry, which are not exactly stellar in a fight. They'll beat spearmen, but will be chopped to pieces by the heavy infantry of the Europeans. If you can get to the walls and use your archers to rain destruction on the defenders from their own ramparts, you can cause some serious damage, but if they bottleneck you around the front gates, your lightly armoured infantry will be slaughtered. I would never, ever recommend assaulting a castle with multiple walls unless you just feel up to the challenge and can afford losses. Of course, if the defenses are really, really light, go for it. A fun tactic when the enemy turtles in their town square is to wheel your rocket launchers into the city and bombard the town center from the roads.

The mongols are my favourite faction, so give them a try. Good luck finishing Genghis Khan's work!
    Last edited by DisruptorX; 09-08-2008 at 21:52.
    "Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou lovest. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of Melkor, master of the fates of Arda. Therefore with my eyes thou shalt see, and with my ears thou shalt hear; and never shall thou move from this place until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end". -Tolkien

The mongol infantry are seriously awesome troops. In fact my armies were initially composed of the starting horsemen (dwinding with every battle) and ever more Mongol Infantry and Spear militia.

I've also assaulted a few fortresses/citadels that had full stacks of Teutonic Order troops and won using a couple of trebs +1 catapault (for gate) and making full abuse of the infantry's awesome 9 ranged attack.

hey guys i wanna play this campaign so bad but when i try to edit the file it says access to the file as denied and i it wasnt a read onnly file i checked guys pls tell mes?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

You cannot edit the file while the game is running. Stop the game, make sure it's unlocked then try. If still not available, restart and try. If STILL not available, unlock it with this program.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

thanks for the tip, but i downloaded it and tried again and now it says it cant create file! this is irritating!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."