Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good games to buy?

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Good games to buy?

Ok, so I have like some money to buy 2 games. Any genre, I dont care. My notebook is powerful enough to run M2TW on max, so no problems.

Just suggest. Except FIFA 2008. I cancelled my order because it would arrive in November...
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Default Re: Good games to buy?

bioshock, medal of honour airborne, crysis (when its out) and im sure you can find some others.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Some games that are not too ancient which I have enjoyed:

Excellent
    Vampire Bloodlines - best CRPG since Baldur's Gate 2
    Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2 - second best CRPG since BG2

Very good
    Civilisation 4 - just as addictive as Civ2, but more nourishing.
    Dawn of War Dark Crusade - possibly the only RTS worth playing IMO.
    Jade Empire - well done CRPG with simple "beat em up" combat.
    Mafia - idiosyncratic (driving old cars and shooting a bit), but good story.
    Max Payne 2 - possibly the only shooter worth playing IMO.
    Bioshock - rather like Morrowind, succeeds spectacularly in building a world; less successful as a game.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mount and Blade.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

CIv 4 played it, nice game. M&B, have it, played it a dozen times, bored of it...

Something else guys? Which is fresh out on the market and is good.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Not exactly fresh but Rise of Nations is a great game for laptop. Clean visuals, and thankfully isometric 2d. Hate games like Command&Conquer that are psuedo 3d. It's a bit like Civ4 but real-time, I call awesome

I'm just making do with what I've got until Crysis and CoD4 come out, they're both going to be great games. (actually I might get Halo 3 later today seeing as I have 2 xbox 360s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    Not exactly fresh but Rise of Nations is a great game for laptop. Clean visuals, and thankfully isometric 2d. Hate games like Command&Conquer that are psuedo 3d. It's a bit like Civ4 but real-time, I call awesome
    Rise of Nations is 3D, actually, but a nice game, yes.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_the_great
    I'm just making do with what I've got until Crysis and CoD4 come out, they're both going to be great games. (actually I might get Halo 3 later today seeing as I have 2 xbox 360s)
    Good! why have one breakdown if you caan have two breakdowns

No I am not bitter.

@Husar, no it isn't

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot

Mate, you need Company of Heroes. Get Opposing Fronts too, while you are at it.
    I support Israel

Hmm, buy NWN2 if you don't already have it. And then save the rest of your money to buy Spore. Or save all of your money, buy Spore twice, and give me one copy.

Eh, I found NWN2 a bit inferior to NWN, mostly due to the lack of the large modding community that NWN has. I didn't find NWN2 superior except for the graphics update and the update to 3.5 ruleset.

I didn't like NWN. It might have had good mods, but I didn't play them because of constant internet problems.

I always thought NWN to be inferior to Baulders Gate, and NWN2 was a step back in the right direction.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

I haven't tried yet but my friends at the LIB enthusiastically recommend Morrowind and Oblivion. (The fans even managed to get vote for a dedicated board at our forum for the two.)
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Lover of Toight Vahjoinas Member Bootsiuv's Avatar

NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer is coming soon, and it looks interesting.

Other games include World in Conflict, which looks very nice.

Resident Evil 4 is a good game for only 20 bucks, although the graphics are a bit on the poor side (at least that's what I've heard, I've found them to be very good, and it's definitely a good old fashioned scary game, which is always welcome).

And of course the other big names right now, like Bioshock, and Crysis and Hellgate: London in the near future are but a few.

Galactic Civ II seems to be fun, although it's CtD randomly on me every time I've tried to play for an extended period....so it seems unstable at best.

And then a little farther down the pipline are games like Far Cry 2: Episode 2, and Sins of a Solar Empire both look very exciting....

In other words, it's a good time to be a PC gamer (even better if you have Vista and a DX10 supporting video card).
    SSbQ*****************SSbQ******************SSbQ

I haven't tried yet but my friends at the LIB enthusiastically recommend Morrowind and Oblivion. (The fans even managed to get vote for a dedicated board at our forum for the two.)
    Of course, if you don't have Morrowind by now, you really should. It's one of those games that are really exeptional.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bellum
    Of course, if you don't have Morrowind by now, you really should. It's one of those games that are really exeptional.
    Thanks. I got the games but haven't yet had the chance to try them.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

I second that Morrowind vote, especially with both expansions, which you can get dirt cheap.

Does Company of Heroes have single player?
    Because I need only Singleplayer games...

Proud

Been to:

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval
    Of course it does, the original CoH has a great single player campaign. CoH: Opposing Fronts, comes with two single player campaigns, one for the Germans and one for the Brits.

The CoH series also sports excellent player vs. AI gameplay. There are also plenty of mods and user made maps available for the CoH games.

Check out the modding section of Relic's CoH forums...

http://forums.relicnews.com/forumdisplay.php?f=189
    "Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

I just got CoH OF but can't get the bloomin' thing to work on my computer!

Quote Originally Posted by Spino
    Of course it does, the original CoH has a great single player campaign. CoH: Opposing Fronts, comes with two single player campaigns, one for the Germans and one for the Brits.

The CoH series also sports excellent player vs. AI gameplay. There are also plenty of mods and user made maps available for the CoH games.
    I dunno... just my opinion (or taste in games), but I just couldn't get past the first half dozen or so missions in CoH. Too many events were scripted instead of reactive AI....

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Things like -- "watch out, 8 Tigers just rolled in from the north!".... or "quick, you must abandon the town square and fall back to X position, because you're suddenly under artillery bombardment".

Individual enemy units reacted fairly well, but they were propped up by these scripted actions that, once you learned what would happen, could be fairly easily countered. It also killed any replay value for me, since the missions basically play out the same way each time, and you're locked into limited choices of what units you can build for each mission. I think I've been spoiled recently by playing more dynamic, open-ended strategy games like RTW, M2TW, and GalCiv2. But it's just personal taste. Obviously a lot of people do like the game.

Games I've enjoyed this year besides M2TW:

Galactic Civilizations II -- get it with the Dark Avatar Expansion. No tactical battles, but it's the best turn-based strategy game I've played in the last few years, with great developer support. It's not a graphics showcase but it does have a very cool 3D ship builder module, where you can create your own designs from supplied parts.

Bioshock -- I agree with econ21 that it's more style than substance.... basically a first person shooter in very fancy dress. The style is so good it's worth it, and I'm not even a big fan of FPS games. Check the SecureRom thread here to see if you're comfortable with the DRM. I only bought it because the publisher is promising a SecureRom removal tool (which is more than CA has done for Kingdoms) and is dropping the limited activations after a certain period.

Silent Hunter 4 -- the best WWII sub sim ever made (IMO). It requires patience, and it needs the Trigger Maru mega-mod to reach full potential (search the subsim.com forum for more info).
    Last edited by Zenicetus; 10-02-2007 at 01:52.
    Feaw is a weapon.... wise genewuhs use weuuhw! -- Jebe the Tyrant

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Bioshock,Sim City, SIms, Elder Scrolls IV, Quest for Glory and King's Quest. Will keep you busy.

Excellent
    Vampire Bloodlines - best CRPG since Baldur's Gate 2
    Just curious what the requirments for this are? My pc can't run anythin much past RTW on medium
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

I need to check out Vampire Bloodlines, then...

And, personally, I pefered Dawn of War over CoH.

Lover of Toight Vahjoinas Member Bootsiuv's Avatar

@Zeneticus

I've found GalCiv2 to be unstable at best....It always crashes....I have XP SP2 with a VisionTek Radeon 1550x (256 MB), and 768 MB of Ram.

That should be more than enough to play the game, as, like you said, it's pretty low on the requirements. I've checked the site for any solutions, and have found that I should update my drivers. I have done so, and it still crashes after 30-50 turns.

I suppose I'll have to wait for Sins of a Solar Empire before I have an enjoyable spacefaring experience.

A few things about GalCiv2 irked me, anyways. The fact that the planets don't orbit the stars realistically takes away much from the immersion IMO. The colony build screen is also a little ridiculous....those are some MASSIVE structures you must be building, if you can only fit one in a few hundred thousand square kilometers.

I was very fond of Imperium Galactica II, but it suffered from some of the same issues.

I'm still waiting for a space Civ game that looks somewhat realistic. Give me vast distances when I zoom in close....I want to feel like I'm playing over light-years of space. Even the gigantic galaxies in GalCiv2 are far too close together, and bear little resemblance to reality. The same red and blue dust clouds in the background every game is also disappointing....they could have changed it up, and added more of the beautiful objects that we see in space. The entire game, while fun, is too abstract for my tastes.

I'm hoping Sins of a Solar Empire will address some of these realism issues.

On one last note, Freelancer was a very fun game. Probably the best space game I've ever played, with the most unique and entertaining locations.
    Last edited by Bootsiuv; 10-02-2007 at 03:30.
    SSbQ*****************SSbQ******************SSbQ

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer of Hope
    Just curious what the requirments for this are? My pc can't run anythin much past RTW on medium
    I suspect you will be out of luck. It uses the Half Life 2 engine, which I think is more demanding than RTW. There's a good website that checks if your computer can run certain games.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval
    CoH campaigns are pure brilliance from start to finish. Cutscenes are funny and engaging. Missions are varied and statifying.
    I support Israel

I like the Opposing fronts British Caen campagin much more than the American Normandy campagin. I haven't really played the Panzer elite Market Garden campagin yet.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast