Thread: Invalid Pixel Format Error

Default Invalid Pixel Format Error

I installed STW, patched it and when I try to load a battle I get the error: DDERR_InvalidPixelFormat (88760091). How can I fix this, could the problem be my video card? I have a S3 ViRGE GX2 with the latest drivers. Thanks.

Default Re: Invalid Pixel Format Error

Quote Originally Posted by IvalidPixel
    I installed STW, patched it and when I try to load a battle I get the error: DDERR_InvalidPixelFormat (88760091). How can I fix this, could the problem be my video card? I have a S3 ViRGE GX2 with the latest drivers. Thanks.
    A dinosaur of a graphics card. At the best this is going to be a 4MB AGP 1.0 spec card. The hw DirectX compliance is around version 6 IIRC - though newer drivers will probably support higher versions probably up to about 8.0. Though in theory it should barely run Shogun, I would scrap it and buy a decent card. Are you sure you have the latest drivers? Also can you post the specs for the rest of your system? The error points to drivers and/or display modes being the issue.
    Last edited by caravel; 10-04-2007 at 13:15.

I thought you were going to say something like that. This computer is so old and outdated that its a lost cause. I think what I'm going to do is buy a new laptop. I'm sure you have more expertise then I do, so what would you recommend? I would like something around $1500, that will last for the next couple of years. Something that will be able to play the newest games with little problems. I was thinking about a HP pavilion dv 8000 with a dedicated graphics card for games. If I would buy that laptop would I have the choice of what graphics card I can put in? I'm all ears.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InvalidPixel
    If I would buy that laptop would I have the choice of what graphics card I can put in? I'm all ears.
    Generally no. It's rather that you choose the laptop depending on the gfx-card you want. 1500$ should buy you a decent laptop that will run Shogun though.
    I've just recently purchased an Acer Extensa for cheap 600€. It plays MTW and STW. It only has an Integrated gfx chip from Intel and no dedicated gfx-card like others have. If it says for example Nvidia or ATIXPress then it probably has a decent dedicated card. However, the newest games will never run well on laptops, simply because the gfx-cards are not that powerful as in desktops.
    Components that you have influence on in Laptops: size of harddisk, size of RAM. The rest is dependent on the model you purchase and you can't switch components as easily as in desktops.

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller