Poll: Which browser(s) are you using/preferring?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your web browser choice

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Default Re: Your web browser choice

Just to provide variety (and to wind Whacker up into a spitting fury ) I'll note that I use Safari (Mac OSX).

I do have Firefox installed for occasional use.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo's Ghost
    Just to provide variety (and to wind Whacker up into a spitting fury ) I'll note that I use Safari (Mac OSX).

I do have Firefox installed for occasional use.
    Bah, Safari is just a Konqueror knock-off.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Wow. That firefox is blocked thing's legal arguements are fundamentally laughable. That kind of logic would make it illegal to view a web page in any browser other then the one the page writer had it mind - since, lets be blunt here, adblock does not rewrite the page but instead alters the way the browser interprets the page.

Given the very nature of html, it would be an impossible case to win - and the makers of the page obviously know it, since the cited 'reference' is some law student's friggin blog. How very authoritative of them.

Even more amusing, follow a few links in that same board, and you get to....http://courseblog.cs.princeton.edu/s.../cos491/?p=151. Title? Why A Court Would Never Strike Out At Adblock

Anybody seen a page that actually uses that thing, so I can write a fellow webslinger a very nasty email?

As for the browser, I use firefox. It's more secure then IE and less of a target. Opera is probably even less of a target, but the Firefox to Opera difference isn't even in the same ballpack as the IE - everything else gap. And it's just not worth learning another new browser when I've already got Firefox the way I want it.
    Last edited by Phatose; 10-17-2007 at 04:22.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou
    Bah, Safari is just a Konqueror knock-off.
    Safari leaves a lot to be desired. Banquo, have you tried Camino? It's a touch-up of the Mozilla engine to make it a little more OS X native.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Everyone seen this?

Btw, I chose Firefox.
    If they weren't so bloody annoying, I wouldn't mind. The only reason I use AdBlock is because of the annoying ad that was at the bottom of the Org that made buzzing sounds.

Firefox btw
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Firefox normally, but IE 7 for when I want to view video and not unblock all the scripts and other hassles on a news site or something. Opera for covert browsing with various applications.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Safari leaves a lot to be desired. Banquo, have you tried Camino? It's a touch-up of the Mozilla engine to make it a little more OS X native.
    I don't doubt that it wouldn't satisfy the demands of a power user. However, for me it does the job and doesn't have all those coloured buttons that other browsers seem to to have. In other words, it looks good.

I've had a look at Camino, but unless you're going to tell me Safari has major security flaws, I don't really see the advantages of changing. What does it lack?
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BG
    What does it lack?
    As silly as this sounds, "love". It seems urban, bare and cold in comparison to the homely Firefox.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Rythmic
    As silly as this sounds, "love". It seems urban, bare and cold in comparison to the homely Firefox.
    That's how Firefox looks in comparison to Opera IMO. Somehow Opera looks erm, smoother to me.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo's Ghost
    I've had a look at Camino, but unless you're going to tell me Safari has major security flaws, I don't really see the advantages of changing. What does it lack?
    I'm not aware of Safari having any major security holes at the moment. But when I use it, I miss my Mozilla environment. I find web pages render a little more predictably with Firefox/Camino/Mozilla than with any other browser. Also, I have an unreasonable and undying love for anything that's cross-platform. I like being able to import my preferences and bookmarks and whatnot from X to WinXP and back again.

Internet Explorer is a non-starter for me. Check out the chief architect's reasoning as to why it's so bloated.

That highlights one of the inevitable dilemmas in IE development: tight integration with Windows which means that troubleshooting can relate to almost anything but the browser itself.

"There's benefits and there's costs to it," Wilson concedes, but he doesn't see much merit in trying to separate IE from its Windows underpinnings. "To ship an operating system that didn't have a browser in it wouldn't be sensible. It's a system service. The interesting part for us is we get to rely on the Windows system to provide capabilities for us."

And yet, despite relying on Windows to provide many capabilities, a standard download for IE7 weighs in at 15MB, compared to Firefox's comparatively slimline 6MB. What's that about?

"The big challenge for us is we don't run on just one version of Windows. We can't rely on things that are just in Windows Vista." Relying on anything in Vista might be dangerous, I want to suggest, but that might just induce my PC to crash again out of spite.

Wilson is still talking as I fume. "A lot of the things that make IE larger are really that it's delivered as a set of system services that are essentially atoms for Windows. You can use just parts of the browser. It's componentised very specifically so you can do that."

In other words, IE has to be huge and difficult to debug because it relies on system services for practically everything. If there's a quirk in the service, there will be a quirk in IE. Sounds like a horrible idea to this lemur. Gimme sandbox programming that doesn't hook into the system at the deepest possible level, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    In other words, IE has to be huge and difficult to debug because it relies on system services for practically everything. If there's a quirk in the service, there will be a quirk in IE. Sounds like a horrible idea to this lemur. Gimme sandbox programming that doesn't hook into the system at the deepest possible level, please.
    Sounded like a bunch of double-talk to me. Supposedly, being an integrated part of Windows is what makes it so great- yet the Windows integration causes it to become unwieldy and somehow even more bloated than a browser that isn't integrated?

I think the real reason that it's so deeply rooted in the OS is legal rather than practical.
    -Abraham Lincoln

I use Firefox, although I can't stand it's inability to reload the tabs I had opened the last time the browser was on, as I frequently work with a lot of tabs. Grrr... bad Firefox, bad!

I love that same feature in Opera (which has proven to be one of the most important ones for me, because it's so time and nerve saving overtime), I also much appreciate it's acrobat reader-like ability to zoom in the net pages.

This has proven to be a lifesaver time and again because I'm so freaking shortsighted. I'd recommend people with large dyoptryes around here to check Opera, if only for this particular feature... the definition of user-friendliness and care for the customer!

Yet, one of the newer versions of Opera that I'm using for some reason can't open Hotmail (a mail service which I'm very accustomed to and kind of fond of because all the mails which I've exchanged with my girlfriend whom I met at the start of '07 are there, lol...), and that's why I'm stuck with Firefox.

Reading through the thread, I've noticed the Safari browser for the pc and have a question - is it able to remember which tabs you had open the last time and re-open them automatically the next time you start it up?
    Becoming one with your sword means not becoming / one with your soul realizing who you already are / everything / that there is nothing to become.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikpalj
    I use Firefox, although I can't stand it's inability to reload the tabs I had opened the last time the browser was on, as I frequently work with a lot of tabs. Grrr... bad Firefox, bad!
    Go to Tools->Options and click the 'Main' tab. Under "When Firefox starts" click the drop down and select "Show my windows and tabs from last time".

I assume that's what you were looking for? It can do it, it's just not on by default.
    -Abraham Lincoln

I assume that's what you were looking for? It can do it, it's just not on by default.
    Yes, that was it, thank you xiahou... I've tried looking for that in the options, but have missed it every time! Gah, indeed!

I've installed Safari and all I can say is that it most obviously runs waaay slower on my machine then either firefox or opera! But I do have an old comp, a p3-1000 with 512megs and xp. People with slow pc's should avoid this and stick with their firefox/opera/IE!
    Becoming one with your sword means not becoming / one with your soul realizing who you already are / everything / that there is nothing to become.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nikpalj
    I love that same feature in Opera (which has proven to be one of the most important ones for me, because it's so time and nerve saving overtime), I also much appreciate it's acrobat reader-like ability to zoom in the net pages.

This has proven to be a lifesaver time and again because I'm so freaking shortsighted. I'd recommend people with large dyoptryes around here to check Opera, if only for this particular feature... the definition of user-friendliness and care for the customer!
    On Firefox:
    Ctrl++ Increase text size
    Ctrl+- Decrease text size
    Ctrl+0 Normal text size

For images, try one of the many image-zooming add-ons. I use Image Zoom. In fact, I don't think there's a single feature I want from Opera and Internet Explorer that I haven't been able to replicate on Firefox with the use of add-ons and native features, except for Opera's sheer speed. However, it's my choice to forgo that in exchange for Firefox's unrivalled versatility and customisability.

Whoa I just changed to Opera since I could get the Norwegian (nynorsk) language package (and it is NOT the firefox band wagon ). However I noticed that some of the Org interface (like quotes) changed with it; now that is spooky.

On Firefox:
    Ctrl++ Increase text size
    Ctrl+- Decrease text size
    Ctrl+0 Normal text size
    I just did that with my Opera, and now I can't seem to get it back to normal.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Opera doesn't have the same functionality. Instead Opera zooms the whole page using + and - and ctrl++ and ctrl+-

lynx ftw!
    Therapy helps, but screaming obscenities is cheaper.

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

I was using IE but I'm going to give Opera a whirl. My impression so far is that Opera is the Mustang to IE's . WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! So Fast!!!!!!!
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

I use IE, have Firefox downloaded, and prefer Opera.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

I browse God with Seamonkey, women with Firefox and my horse with IE.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

It was a trap, after all. Member DukeofSerbia's Avatar

Thumbs up Firefox + Opera

Every several months we have the same poll.

What I use :
    Generated: Tue Dec 18 2007 17:31:33 GMT+0100 (Central Europe Standard Time)
    User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20071127 Firefox/2.0.0.6
    Build ID: 2007112718

Enabled Extensions: [66]

* Active Stop Button 1.2
    * Adblock Plus 0.7.5.3
    * All-in-One Sidebar 0.7.2
    * Bookmark Duplicate Detector 0.6.3
    * Bookmarks LinkChecker 0.6.8.4
    * Button Pack 0.8.5.5
    * Calculator 1.1.10
    * Clone Window 0.2.8
    * Closy 1.4.0
    * ColorfulTabs 2.0.8
    * Converter 0.7.0
    * Cookie Button in the status bar 0.8.9
    * Copy All Urls 0.7.1
    * Ctrl Tab Preview 0.2.1
    * CuteMenus - Crystal SVG 1.9.1
    * Deutsches Wörterbuch 1.0.1
    * dotCOMplete 1.4.2
    * Download Manager Tweak 0.7.2
    * Download Sort 2.5.7
    * Download Statusbar 0.9.5.2
    * Duplicate Tab 0.9.1
    * Enhanced Bookmark Search 0.1.4.04.1
    * Enhanced History Manager 0.5.8.05.1
    * Exch 1.3.0
    * Fasterfox 2.0.0
    * FEBE 5.1.1
    * FireFTP 0.97.1
    * FlashGot 0.7
    * Forecastfox 0.9.6
    * Google Icon 1.4
    * Grab and Drag 2.5.0.3
    * Greasemonkey 0.7.20070607.0
    * Greek Translator 0.7.1
    * IDM CC 4.0
    * IE Tab 1.3.3.20070528
    * Image Zoom 0.3
    * infoRSS 1.1.2
    * Java Console 6.0
    * Java Console 6.0.02
    * Java Console 6.0.03
    * Megaupload SX.3.2 3.2
    * Menu Editor 1.2.3.3
    * MinimizeToTray 0.0.1.2006102615+
    * Mouse Gestures 1.5.2
    * MR Tech Local Install 5.3.2.6
    * PDF Download 0.9.3.2
    * Platypus 0.66
    * QuickNote 0.6.0.3
    * RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin 1.0
    * Right Encoding 0.2.2
    * Screen grab! 0.93
    * Session Manager 0.6.1.6
    * Show Image 0.4.2
    * ShowIP 0.8.05
    * Super DragAndGo 0.2.6
    * SwiftTabs 0.3.4
    * Tab Clicking Options 0.6.8
    * Tab X 2.0
    * Tabbrowser Preferences 1.3.1.1
    * TabScroller 0.6.3
    * Talkback 2.0.0.11
    * Torrent Finder Toolbar 1.2.3
    * Undo Closed Tabs Button 2.0
    * Unicode converter 2.098
    * United States English Dictionary 2.0.0.6
    * Web Developer 1.1.4

Disabled Extensions: [2]

* English 's Proverbs 1.4.1
    * Firefox Universal Uploader (fireuploader) 0.3.2

Total Extensions: 68

Installed Themes: [3]

* Firefox (default)
    * macfoxII 2.1.4
    * Metal Lion - Vista 1.7.8

Installed Plugins: (16)

* 2007 Microsoft Office system
    * Adobe Acrobat
    * AOL Media Playback Plugin
    * IE Tab Plug-in
    * Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U3
    * Microsoft Office 2003
    * Microsoft® DRM
    * Mozilla Default Plug-in
    * QuickTime Plug-in 7.1.3
    * RealJukebox NS Plugin
    * RealNetworks Rhapsody Player Engine
    * RealPlayer Version Plugin
    * RealPlayer(tm) G2 LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In (32-bit)
    * Shockwave Flash
    * Shockwave for Director
    * Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library
    Quote Originally Posted by Husar
    Opera.

I've got a copy of firefox and one of IE 7 installed as well, but never really use them, I just like the layout, security and possibilities of Opera without the need to install seperate addons for everything.
    Why I am not suprised.
    Watching
    EURO 2008 & Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Waiting for: Wimbledon 2008.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

I just installed Opera, and it has officially become my browser of choice over Firefox and IE.

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

Firefox, but might have a look at Opera too now. Gave up on IE entirely, windows kindly thought it should be upgraded can't remember which version too, but after upgrade it took twice as long to load pages and froze on about every 6th one.... might be have been something fixable but can't be bothered when Firefox is better anyway.
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

I used Firefox - until I clicked on Xiahou's link, that is. Incidentally I've also vowed never to change TV channels during commercial breaks again. I feel so terrible for having stolen precious time and effort from millions of people

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Loved the quote, Mouza.

I use Firefox with NoScript and it seems to kill just about any ad that adblock would (I would assume). I put up with IE if a page absolutely won't load in FF (which is just about never) or if I'm installing Microsoft updates and The Man needs to see I'm using the Approved Browser.

Long time no see Alex!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12