Thread: Ak-Ink

Default Ak-Ink

Question regarding this settlement...

How historically accurate is it? It seems odd to me, as this small settlement completely throws off much of the strategic value of the danube border. The settlement has almost all its territory east of the danube, a time sliver which unfortunately contains the city west / south of the danube, and its culture is not recruitable by the Romani.

I would have throught the Romani would have pushed thier borderat the danube under Hadrian. Am I incrrect on this note?

Default Re: Ak-Ink

let me say this (I am a Hungarian so I know a lil bout this) That Ak-Ink was there for a very long time even before the romans (they called Aquincum, which means good water i think) it is were Budapest stands today and the romans held it and later gave it to the Huns in some treaty or anothor
    hope that helps

no doubt about that, but that only reinforces my point. Why was this territory made un recruitable for roman type 2 government units, and why did controling this settlement, which the Romans did control, give ownership to a vast tracks of land which the Romans never control?

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brymht
    no doubt about that, but that only reinforces my point. Why was this territory made un recruitable for roman type 2 government units, and why did controling this settlement, which the Romans did control, give ownership to a vast tracks of land which the Romans never control?
    Agreed. I was kinda miffed myself about not being able to make the Danube my definitive frontier when I was playing whichever guys was on the "civilized" (wahaha) side of the river. The province is just plain jarring IMO.

I mean, I know the map is not based on what the Roman Empire looked like (although personally I think it should to an extent...and that's coming from a Roman hater ), but I'd rather think that a major river that served as a frontier quite a few times historically ought to make perfect sense as a provincial border.

Although I suspect this problem isn't the kind of problem that *must* be fixed whatever the effort, as it is merely an aesthetic complaint; I also remembered vaguely that changing the map even a little bit takes one hell of a work, so that may be the real reason.

Exactly: it requires re-doing quite a lot of scripting; because all the scripted coordinates would be off. Not to mention the VC's and Sweboz reforms which IIRC can be triggered by holding Ak-Ink.

FYI: I never really play by "that's the border on the strat map; therefore that's the border as far as my strategy is concerned". I would simply stick to defending the Danube; and let the Getai wander aimlessly on the plains across it. At least that's what I did in my .8x Aedui campaign.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

actually, shouldn't the player attempt to hold Dacia and then be driven back
    HWÆT !
    “Vesall ertu þinnar skjaldborgar!” “Your shieldwall is pathetic!” -Bǫðvar Bjarki [Hrólfs Saga Kraka]
    “Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl þonne his ellen déah.” “The course of events often saves the un-fey warrior if his valour is good.” -Bēowulf
    “Gørið eigi hárit í blóði.” “Do not get blood on [my] hair.” -Sigurð Búason to his executioner [Óláfs Saga Tryggvasonar: Heimskringla]

Wes þū hāl ! Be whole (with luck)!

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios
    Exactly: it requires re-doing quite a lot of scripting; because all the scripted coordinates would be off. Not to mention the VC's and Sweboz reforms which IIRC can be triggered by holding Ak-Ink.
    Ah, so that explains it.

It's just a minor complaint anyway. Doesn't make my Antigonid Empire any less...beautiful. [megalomaniac mode]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios
    FYI: I never really play by "that's the border on the strat map; therefore that's the border as far as my strategy is concerned". I would simply stick to defending the Danube; and let the Getai wander aimlessly on the plains across it. At least that's what I did in my .8x Aedui campaign.
    Wouldn't you lose income from enemy looting though?

Not quite that much that it would be cheaper to maintain the extra force to stare the occasional stack away... as long as they keep moving (which they do) they do not cause much harm (i.e. devastation).

And on top of that: by the time you start to consider such strategical issues (defending the Danube rather than the plain across it) this means you are mid/end game where your economy is powerful enough but your combined enemies are even more so. Then it's not the time to bother about chasing of comparatively harmless wandering stacks; then it's the time to seek out the most advantageous position to hold your ground while conducting some very important/profitable campaigns elsewhere. I think.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Exactly. Since right next to ak-ink there is a lovely bridge, the province itself is easily defensible. With sufficient troops stationed there you might even scare off the Getai from attacking you. The Danube is really a nice frontier to have.

EB Token Radical Member QwertyMIDX's Avatar

It's also worth noting that while to our minds a river seems like a good border, historically it was usually the center of a territory rather than the edge of one.
    History is for the future not the past. The dead don't read.

Operam et vitam do Europae Barbarorum.

History does not repeat itself. The historians repeat one another. - Max Beerbohm

Why is this? Because that was the most fertile part of the land, so the concentration of people were greatest there?

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

In version 8.1, I actually changed the Roman recruitment units available in Ak-Ink, to make a type 2 government possible, and opened up the map and gave most of its territory to other neighboring provinces. I didn't change the settlement details any more than that.

Would this break the Germanic reform script, if the city and settlement name didn't change, only its borders? I understand that I would have to delete my saved games in this instance.

Quote Originally Posted by bovi
    Why is this? Because that was the most fertile part of the land, so the concentration of people were greatest there?
    They were also often significant routes of trade.

And if you controlled both sides of the river; you could extract money from the trade route by taxing it. That's kinda hard if you only control one side.
    - Tellos Athenaios

good point. For anyone who know's Eastern European geography, this earea just east of the Danube and west of the Carpathians is big plains, right? (assuming this is modern hungary, or is this further north?) If so, controlling the western side of the river would really give you know advantage in the ewastern side at all.

I'm pretty sure this city has nothing whatsoever to do with the Germanic Reform script
    HWÆT !
    “Vesall ertu þinnar skjaldborgar!” “Your shieldwall is pathetic!” -Bǫðvar Bjarki [Hrólfs Saga Kraka]
    “Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl þonne his ellen déah.” “The course of events often saves the un-fey warrior if his valour is good.” -Bēowulf
    “Gørið eigi hárit í blóði.” “Do not get blood on [my] hair.” -Sigurð Búason to his executioner [Óláfs Saga Tryggvasonar: Heimskringla]

My mistake then; I thought this was one of them rich in resource areas you needed to control for the reforms to kick in sooner rather than later. Apparently not.
    - Tellos Athenaios

excellent. I'm making a few tweaks, will make this one of them.

For all involved in making this mod, its fricking awesome. l loving my Romani campaign. :)

Please excuse my poor graspe of the english language. :)

no problem, maybe I should have included it, but at the time I was figuring out rich lands of ore, the steppe of inner Europe didn't seem like it would be very rich, but I didn't take into account those resources to the East of the river
    HWÆT !

So there resources may need to be changed in descr_regions as well depending on the regional boundary changing. This can be done.