Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Europa Romanorum: Roman unit guide

Default Re: Europa Romanorum: Roman unit guide

Very useful, thanks!

I have a question, however: why did you set some areas in Thracia at level 3 government in pre-marian times?

I guess it is for the Rhomphaiaphoroi, but looking at the recruitment viewer you need a level 5 MIC to recruit thme as the romani, so a level 4 government should be needed.

It also seems confirmed by the export_descr_buildings; they are produced in

Code:
    royal_barracks_Z1 requires factions { seleucid, } and building_present_min_level government gov4 and not building_present_min_level government gov3
    I guess "royal_barracks_Z1" is the level 5 regional MIC, am I right?

(I used to have a look to RTW files a lot of time ago, but I don't remember very well how they are structured; also, this is the first time I look in the EB files; so, I'm totally not sure of what I said here... please tell me if I'm correct)

EDIT: uhm, by looking at the map I noticed some small differences: maybe this isn't for 1.0 but for a previous version... sorry if so, I didn't know. Still very useful, most things haven't changed :)
    Last edited by Pezlu; 01-17-2008 at 21:56.
    (from keravnos, for correctly recognizing the shield design of the Indohellenikoi Eugeneis Hoplitai as a hippocampus)

*bump*
    Finished Campaigns
    Lusotannan 0.8
    Quarthadastim 0.8
    Sab'yn 1.0
    Romani 1.0
    Ongoing Campaigns
    Lusotannan 1.2

Long may the barbarians continue, I pray, if not to love us, at least to hate one another,seeing that, as fate bears remorselessly on the empire, fortune can offer no greater boon now than discord amoung our enemies - Tacitus

Default AW: Re: Europa Romanorum: Roman unit guide

Quote Originally Posted by SunShadow
    EDIT: uhm, by looking at the map I noticed some small differences: maybe this isn't for 1.0 but for a previous version... sorry if so, I didn't know. Still very useful, most things haven't changed :)
    Yes, the map is from 0.8. The changes affect the two new provinces (Atiqa and Babylon), but recruitement for the Romans there is the same as in the neighbouring provinces.

Disclaimer: my posts are to be considered my private opinion and not offical statements by the EB Team

Enemy of cauliflower Member Visitor13's Avatar

I'm playing as the Romans, hold north Africa, have the highest level barracks built, but elephants are hiding from me. I just can't recruit them. Hardly a major annoyance, but I'd be grateful for help.
    Last edited by Visitor13; 03-09-2008 at 14:53.
    A big THANKS to all Total War modders

Heed the wisdom in Omanes Alexandropolites' signature!

Dunno. When you have an allied governement and level 5 local barracks you should get them. What provinces have yout tried?

Disclaimer: my posts are to be considered my private opinion and not offical statements by the EB Team

Ippone, Kirtan, Siga, Sala, Lixus, Adrumento, Lepki. These are my African cities with level IV governments. According to the Recruitment Viewer I should get elephants in all these except Lepki. I have highest level barracks in Ippone, Siga, Adrumento and (I think) in Kirtan. The building descriptions said I'd get elephants, but no dice.

I have never tried to recruite elephants with the Romans (or any other faction) so I can't confirm it. I'll have a look into it as soon as possible.

@ Visitor 13 : Deep in a Romani campaign right now. I have not tried to recruit elephants yet, but will do so now and get back to you ASAP.
    Last edited by Disciple of Tacitus; 03-10-2008 at 02:56.
    Finished Campaigns
    Lusotannan 0.8
    Quarthadastim 0.8
    Sab'yn 1.0
    Romani 1.0
    Ongoing Campaigns
    Lusotannan 1.2

Long may the barbarians continue, I pray, if not to love us, at least to hate one another,seeing that, as fate bears remorselessly on the empire, fortune can offer no greater boon now than discord amoung our enemies - Tacitus

The map for marian is missing. The goverment type map is not loaded correctly. Can someone upload a new one or fix the post. Thanks!

All images are still there. When they don't show refresh the page, imagehack sometimes has problems in displaying single pictures.

@ Visitor 13. I haven't forgotten you. Am ramping up my MIC construction in Africa to see if I can recruit elephants. As soon as I start to see results, I will let you know.
    Finished Campaigns
    Lusotannan 0.8
    Quarthadastim 0.8
    Sab'yn 1.0
    Romani 1.0
    Ongoing Campaigns
    Lusotannan 1.2

Thanks for trying to help.

Minor correction to my previous post - I don't have a level IV government in Siga, and the highest level barracks are only in Ippone and Adrumento. The heffalumps still refuse to come out of the forest.

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

No need to work Tacitus, I´ve got it covered. Nope, you can´t recruit Eles in Africa as Romans no matter what you build. And yes, I had a L4 Gov and L5 Regional MIC and yes, the building desciption did say I was gonna get some Eles, but no, I didn´t. So, it´s a bug or mistake or whatever, but the Eles are enot there.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Thanks General,
    Now I can sink some of that hard earned cash into some vexilliations to patrol this very feisty section of my empire - apparently w/o heffakumps.
    Finished Campaigns
    Lusotannan 0.8
    Quarthadastim 0.8
    Sab'yn 1.0
    Romani 1.0
    Ongoing Campaigns
    Lusotannan 1.2

Elephants don't really fit a Roman army, I think. Did they ever used them? I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by konny
    Elephants don't really fit a Roman army, I think. Did they ever used them? I don't know.
    They did at least once - Kynoskephalai

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

Didn´t Cato and Metellus have something like 60 elephants at the battle of Thapsus as well? Of course, this were probably provided by their ally Juba, but a L4 Gov should be able to represent Juba´s assistance.
    Anyway, I think it should be possible for basically any faction to recruit elephants if they build a Gov4 Regional MIC5 in a African province.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

theweak-themighty-the CRAZIII Member craziii's Avatar

god, how I wish you had included the color keys into your pictures, would save alot of trouble. thank for the hardwork non the less.

Quote Originally Posted by craziii
    god, how I wish you had included the color keys into your pictures, would save alot of trouble. thank for the hardwork non the less.

Crazii,
    What I did is print out all pertaint maps - Thanks again Konny - and then handwrite the necessary info. I used to lay them by the computer, but they started getting coffee stains, water, beer, port stains, so now they are hanging on the wall by my computer. I refer to them every time I play. And they look nice!
    Finished Campaigns
    Lusotannan 0.8
    Quarthadastim 0.8
    Sab'yn 1.0
    Romani 1.0
    Ongoing Campaigns
    Lusotannan 1.2

Is there going to be an updated map for 1.1?

In either case, I'm playing Romani, and noticed that I probably can't
    build any troops in Mediolanum and Naissus in Polybian times.

I understand that in some regions you can't recruit any military
    unit at all. But I was thinking that Mediolanum should at least some
    Gauls since it's in Cisalpine Gaul, and Naissus should have some units
    since it's in the Thracian vicinity.

Anyone else have similar experience?

The Roman recruitement for Gauls is changed in EB 1.1: Recruitement now starts at level 3 local MICs. That is because the AI was recruiting much more Gauls than Romans, once it got its hands on them. You need to build a level 2 governement (or 3 or 4) and build two regional MICs in vain (you can also use process_cq to speed it up, because this change is only meant for the AI).

You should change the governement in Segesta, Bononia and Patavium in Polybian times.

Quote Originally Posted by konny
    The Roman recruitement for Gauls is changed in EB 1.1: Recruitement now starts at level 3 local MICs. That is because the AI was recruiting much more Gauls than Romans, once it got its hands on them. You need to build a level 2 governement (or 3 or 4) and build two regional MICs in vain (you can also use process_cq to speed it up, because this change is only meant for the AI).

You should change the governement in Segesta, Bononia and Patavium in Polybian times.
    Thanks konny,
    I also started a thread under "EB Gameplay Guides & AAR's" in case nobody
    noticed my post here.

Please don't double post.

BTW, I forgott:

Quote Originally Posted by spqr_arcani
    Is there going to be an updated map for 1.1?
    No, not planned. Some new units were added, but in general recruitement remains the same for the Romans, save for this change with the Gauls, what has no effect on you in the long run because you have to build to level 3 local MICs in these lands anyways.

As a newcomer to EB id just like to say THANKYOU This guide not only showed me how to play romans but also gave me a much better understanding of government buildings-regional troops correlations across other factions. I was playing Lusitania & wondering why i cant recruit Iberian heavy infantry or cavalry

can you make an updated version of this plz? also can the romans still recruit the crete archers? (sorry my recruiment viwer is screwed up...)

I believe the recruitment viewer can answer your questions.
    It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
    Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-Sir Winston Churchill
    ΔΟΣ ΜΟΙ ΠΑ ΣΤΩ ΚΑΙ ΤΑΝ ΓΑΝ ΚΙΝΑΣΩ--Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth.-Archimedes on his work with levers
    Click here for my Phalanx/Aquilifer mod

Quote Originally Posted by mp0925 View Post
    can you make an updated version of this plz? also can the romans still recruit the crete archers? (sorry my recruiment viwer is screwed up...)
    Yes they can.

Recruitement basically stays the same, save for the mentioned changes with recruitement of Gauls and the units added for EB 1.1

This is a very important source of information for the Romani players, so I'll sticky it. Great work, konny!

"Death Smiles at Us All,all a Man Can Do Is Smile Back."
    Maximvs Decimvs Meridivs, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, Iberian Gladiator.

Quote Originally Posted by TWFanatic View Post
    I believe the recruitment viewer can answer your questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by mp0925
    (sorry my recruiment viwer is screwed up...)

I have a question about roman MICs, too: I conquered Kalabria and Brettia and placed the government-building typ I but still can't build the roman MIC (yes, I have destroyed the greek one) which is really bad because I would really like to recrute some Samnite Heavy Infantry there. Any idea?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast