Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebel Roman soldiers defending Rhegion?

Default Rebel Roman soldiers defending Rhegion?

What's going on here then? Is it just some freak accident or is the city supposed to be defended by hastati and whatnot? If so... What's the history behind it?

Default Re: Rebel Roman soldiers defending Rhegion?

well as the advisor SHOULD say its a turncoat legion that took over the city it was supposed to defend from Phyross. doesnt your advisor pop up and tell you?
    Brothers in Arms- A Legionaries AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...86#post1853386

For me it popped up with that information after I had taken Taras.

My advisor said nothing... Maybe it's because i have help turned off.

If you take Taras as the Romani, the advisor will pop up and urge to take Rhegion next, and he tells you why. Basically, during the Pyrrhic War, a detachment of Roman troops sent to Rhegion to defend the city decided that, since Rome had her hands full with Pyrrhus, they could just take over the town. And they did. They rejected Roman control and generally abused the population until after the Pyrrhic was over and they were killed by Roman forces who retook the city.
    Currently Playing as:

If you like EB, you'll love:
    https://www.ancient-warfare.com/cms/

Yes, the advisor informed me only after taking Tarantum as the Romani.

My advisor never told me anything of this. I've only seen it once this far and that was when I had set foot on Sicily.

EB II Romani Consul Suffectus Member Zaknafien's Avatar
    Somewhere inside the Military-Industrial Complex

seems you didnt turn the script on a few times, huh?

"urbani, seruate uxores: moechum caluom adducimus. / aurum in Gallia effutuisti, hic sumpsisti mutuum." --Suetonius, Life of Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve
    My advisor said nothing... Maybe it's because i have help turned off.
    Your supposed to have helped set on so that the EB script can take place.

When you load a game click on a city or something so that the advisor pops up and then you click the "show me how" button which enables the EB script to happen which is pretty important.
    And even after that the advisor will only appear when something actually important happens, not every turn to tell you to build roads or something.

Believe that having help advisor on has nothing to do with the script! Help advisor will only confuse things up. When the script is on the advisor wil porp up whenever necessary even if you set the help advisor off, at least it works just fine for me.
    From the markets of Lilibeo to the Sacred Band in the halls of Astarte, from those halls to the Senate of Safot Softin BiKarthadast as Lilibeo representative

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafien
    seems you didnt turn the script on a few times, huh?
    Nope, that's the first thing I always do.

in that case, you must went for rhegion before Taras i suppose. Ah well, to each their own.

"urbani, seruate uxores: moechum caluom adducimus. / aurum in Gallia effutuisti, hic sumpsisti mutuum." --Suetonius, Life of Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by johhny-turbo
    Your supposed to have helped set on so that the EB script can take place.

When you load a game click on a city or something so that the advisor pops up and then you click the "show me how" button which enables the EB script to happen which is pretty important.
    And even after that the advisor will only appear when something actually important happens, not every turn to tell you to build roads or something.
    No, you never need to have the advisor on, he/she will appear anyway with these messages and the script activation.
    I have always played EB with advice turned off, since the advice is completely irrelevant to EB.
    Veni
    Vidi
    Velcro

Read the biography of the character in Rhegion.

MARMOREAM•RELINQUO•QUAM•LATERICIAM•ACCEPI

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafien
    in that case, you must went for rhegion before Taras i suppose. Ah well, to each their own.
    Negative. Ah well, is the advisor supposed to pop up regularly in a Romani campaign?

King of the Golden Hall Member Landwalker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucasiewicz
    Negative. Ah well, is the advisor supposed to pop up regularly in a Romani campaign?
    In the brief amount of time I've covered in my own Romani campaign, the advisor has popped up twice--once after the capture of Taras, suggesting I move against the treacherous rebels of Rhegion, and once when I began moving into Sicily, warning me that attacking Messana or Syracusae would antagonize the Karthadistim.

Cheers.
    "ALLIANCE, n. In international politics, the union of two thieves who have their hands so deeply inserted in each other's pocket that they cannot separately plunder a third."

"ARMY, n. A class of non-producers who defend the nation by devouring everything likely to tempt an enemy to invade."
    --- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

As the Romani:

If you capture Taras in the first 10 years, the advisor should tell you about the situation in Rhegion if it's still rebel-held. If you approach Rhegion in the first 8 years and have not yet captured Taras, you'll also get an advisor message. If you capture Rhegion from the eleutheroi in the first 10 years, there's a message telling you what happened to those you captured it from. There is also a warning if you approach Messana in most cases.

In order to get these advisor messages, the script needs to be running.
    The truth is the most valuable thing we have. Let us economize it. - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Atilius
    As the Romani:

If you capture Taras in the first 10 years, the advisor should tell you about the situation in Rhegion if it's still rebel-held. If you approach Rhegion in the first 8 years and have not yet captured Taras, you'll also get an advisor message. If you capture Rhegion from the eleutheroi in the first 10 years, there's a message telling you what happened to those you captured it from. There is also a warning if you approach Messana in most cases.

In order to get these advisor messages, the script needs to be running.
    Ah, it might've been later then 10 years in my game. Though not much probably.

I always turn the script on of course, i've been playing this mod for over a year now.

I never got any messages until i actually took Rhegion, it said the traitors had been captured and killed in the forum or some such. I believe i took Taras on turn 5 or 6 but never got any messages at that point.

A rebel legion?

wow I didnt know they would go so far as to reject there own country and fight for themselves...

Uneasy with Command Member Treverer's Avatar

Ehm, N.B., if you read the "History in Year" from 272 to around 268, you'll get roughly the same info at some point.

BTW, EB-team, thx for the HiY-pop-ups, one is never too old to learn more ...

Yours,
    Treverer
    Towards the end of the book, the Moties quote an old story from Herodotus:

"Once there was a thief who was to be executed. As he was taken away he made a bargain with the king: In one year he would teach the king's favorite horse to sing hymns."
    "The other prisoners watched the thief singing to the horse and laughed. 'You will not succeed,' they told him. 'No one can.' To which the thief replied, 'I have a year, and who knows what will happen in that time. The king might die. The horse might die. I might die. And perhaps the horse will learn to sing.'"

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

If you capture Rhegion on the AI turn, ie they sally from a seige, somethimes the advisor pops up and disappears again when your turn comes around and you don't get a chance to read it. Could be what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyar Son
    A rebel legion?

wow I didnt know they would go so far as to reject there own country and fight for themselves...
    You mean, like the rest of the times Roman armies more loyal to their generals than nationality marched on Rome? Not uncommon.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

I've always thought the advisor level needs to be at least on low for those messages to appear. I can't really tell, because I've only used low advice with EB (and not once have the vanilla advices appeared).

King of the Golden Hall Member Landwalker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thaatu
    I've always thought the advisor level needs to be at least on low for those messages to appear. I can't really tell, because I've only used low advice with EB (and not once have the vanilla advices appeared).
    Nope, it works perfectly well on No Advice. I just started a new Romani campaign (due to some computer freak-outs and about four reinstalls), and I got all the appropriate messages regarding Rhegion (including the "Results Message" when you capture it. The trick to this is, if you win on an AI sally, i.e. not your turn, you have to click the advisor before you click on your decision to Occupy, Enslave, or Exterminate.)

Cheers.
    "ALLIANCE, n. In international politics, the union of two thieves who have their hands so deeply inserted in each other's pocket that they cannot separately plunder a third."

"ARMY, n. A class of non-producers who defend the nation by devouring everything likely to tempt an enemy to invade."
    --- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

What did happen to the renegade legion? Were they crucified?
    "I am the Flail of God. If you have not committed such sins would God have sent me to punish you?" -Genghis Khan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Durian
    What did happen to the renegade legion? Were they crucified?

I know they were killed in the forum to help save face with their allies but i'm not sure if they were crucified or just killed.

About 600 i think got killed off as a result of their actions.

im pretty certain they were flogged and beheaded. Crucifixion is the worst form of punishment, reserved for slaves mostly.

Wasn't it actually illegal/unheard of to crucify a Roman citizen?

MARMOREAM•RELINQUO•QUAM•LATERICIAM•ACCEPI

it was illegal and has never happen that romans were crucified as far i known, crucify was only for slaves and mayby from time to time in war but mostly for slaves only.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast