Page 6 of 69 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: ALEXANDER EB

Post Re: The best AI for EB 1 is on Alex.exe!

For Those who have Interloper bug (that is not realy a bug.. but can ruin your game).

The files are being worked on.. please be patient
    ;)
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-10-2007 at 21:57.
    “Give me a place to stand and with a lever I will move the whole world.”

Default Re: The best AI for EB 1 is on Alex.exe!

Quote Originally Posted by Maksimus
    Can you just add an example how to add in night-fights and and bi options..?
    Tellos specified what to do... but what about option + option + option
    and how would the trait of nigh-fighter ? Will it be enabled for all or no?
    But!!! The options bi are uor problem.. It is mentioned that it wont work when you just enable it due to faction elimination screens .... so... help
    Read the damn thread pls! Repeat: try using "options +prebattle_night_battle_tickbox" instead of "options bi" in descr_strat. Supposedly "options +someoption" string enables just some specific bi features instead of them all.

As for night traits, i don't have my eb yet (hence, no eb txt files)! I test everything on XGM still.

For Those who have Interloper bug (that is not realy a bug.. but can ruin your game). Here is a download link that has Interloper Fix (these files are with Immortall Fix and deleted Interloper traits)
    I believe deleting traits is just as bad for savegames as adding traits (even if there aren't immediate & obvious problems). Btw, did you ever tried adding any new traits ("immortal" in this case) to the end of trait section? If that won't help, nothing will. Time to start new campaign.
    occasional ALEXANDER EB member
    :::Alexander::: less hopeless AI engine for EB https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=94861

Smile Re: The best AI for EB 1 is on Alex.exe!

I have been able to enable Night battles on Alex.exe and eb 1 !

The explanation of how do do this will be included in the main post.. I would do it right now but.. It's just that there are still some issues Lgt and myself are working on... like.. how to fix negative interploter effect without having to delete them.. And because the trait system is save-game compatible It is very likely the next download link will be without negative unrest points (traits) and when we fix is out -- by this a call to help anyone that can help... Then the new upload link will be enabled..

The testing is current.. so I will post here if there are any side-effect (and I am sure there ar non - this Alex.exe after Lgt's help is much more stable - In hours I got not One CTD and by now.. I don't need 2 minutes for my CPU to recovery after I exit EB)

In about 10 hours the manual explanation and a download link for this will be established. In short, the ''options bi, enabled'' in descr_start are working very well.. So it is possible that right by those 'basic' download links for ones that would like only to use advanced ALX and BI features there would also be some advanced options (acctually *txt files to download) for added 'shield wall's' or any other BI feature (for example.. In EB descr_start, Not one familly member has a trait that enables him to fight at night so those traits should be added by hand..)

Any suggestions are openminded

thank you all!
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-10-2007 at 21:57.

Closet Celtophile Member Redmeth's Avatar

Does the interloper trait still act crazy even when starting a new campaign?

Acctually If anyone has that prob and find it to be so ..hardy.. in a way.. I will delete That trait (Interloper) and will make the game work without it...
    That would be further messing around with the traits and just lead to the next problems. Any changes, even the smallest, to the trait file will mess up the entire thing in savegames.

It seems to me that the traits acquired by characters are saved somewhere and read line by line by the engine. I had once added command starts to different traits. That worked without problems in new campaigns, but messed up all the traits of the characters in older saves.

Disclaimer: my posts are to be considered my private opinion and not offical statements by the EB Team

Quote Originally Posted by Redmeth
    Does the interloper trait still act crazy even when starting a new campaign?
    i dont have the interloper problem with my new campaign

but all my client ruler dont have the same saison trait that familiy member (ex: client ruler has spring trait and family member has summer, this is really not important)

Wink Re: The best AI for EB 1 is on Alex.exe!

Quote Originally Posted by juba1
    i dont have the interloper problem with my new campaign

but all my client ruler dont have the same saison trait that familiy member (ex: client ruler has spring trait and family member has summer, this is really not important)
    Exellent! ... I will now upload the files and explain how to modd manually!
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-10-2007 at 21:58.

I have updated the main post!

Actually the discrepancy between Season traits of various Agent types (I.e. family members, generals) is quite worrysome since it implies the entire system of movement penalties and bonuses is screwed up... Whether or not this has any more sinister consequence (scripted triggers) apart from yet another trait bug (the Babylonian Years festival) remains to be discovered *but* I wouldn't be surprised if the Saka reforms didn't work properly anymore.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios
    Actually the discrepancy between Season traits of various Agent types (I.e. family members, generals) is quite worrysome since it implies the entire system of movement penalties and bonuses is screwed up... Whether or not this has any more sinister consequence (scripted triggers) apart from yet another trait bug (the Babylonian Years festival) remains to be discovered *but* I wouldn't be surprised if the Saka reforms didn't work properly anymore.
    We can just wait and see... But, to add.. that - these advanced features for Alex.exe are realy in beta stage.. We should have at least 5-7 gamers that would push trough these issues and post here if there are any problems.. Anyways, I think that when EB 1.1 comes out We would be able to use not only night battles but also some advanced BI features - like.. Hording, shielldwalls, or other.. Anyway, EB 1.1 will not be save-gaem compatible so..

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios
    The problem with the client rulers season trait being off is known and to fix it would require adding a few thousand lines of code if not more so it was chosen to leave it that way as it would be a hit to performance in no way proportional with the yield.

I think the Babylonian New Year trait was changed so that it no longer causes problems.

so... did anyone tried the instructions yet?
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-10-2007 at 21:59.

Gonna do it later tonight and let you know.

Thank.. you.. Then post so we can all see that someone made it.. and then if there are any probs I'll just fix it during the day

so... did anyone tried the instructions yet?
    I tried downloading your group of files (most recent batch). You forgot the one called chat_filter.san (unless you left that out for a reason), but other than that it all seems to work perfectly. I haven't seen any night battles yet, but don't have any high-star generals. The campaign AI seems to amalgamate armies better as you said in your notes. Looking forward to occasional big battles and not pissy little sieges the AI normally hassles you with every turn.

I see you've used this command in descr_strat
    Code:
    options bi, night_battles_enabled
    Can someone report if they got the faction eliminated pics to show up correctly when they eliminate a faction of course

I installed as directed...now I have a CTD after faction selection screen on new campaign...reinstalling everything and will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazing141
    I installed as directed...now I have a CTD after faction selection screen on new campaign...reinstalling everything and will report back.
    It's better to use download link.. Really the manual might be hard to implement because there are some Trrigers and traits that are in EB script's already - but just need to be 'unlocked'.. And because Some traits and descriptions in *txt files that you need to 'hunt down' and because some need to be added.. well.. there is nothing to help here

It's more likely that for EB 1.1 all will be more stable and clear!

Got it working but as the poster above mentions, the "faction eliminated" screen picture doesnt appear, instead you just get a box wit text...

Also, while I have the box "try a night battle" appearing, the game wont let me click on it to actually do a night battle--do I need to have a particular trait before that I can check the box and night batter becomes selectable?

Quote Originally Posted by CutLunch
    I tried downloading your group of files (most recent batch). You forgot the one called chat_filter.san (unless you left that out for a reason), but other than that it all seems to work perfectly. I haven't seen any night battles yet, but don't have any high-star generals. The campaign AI seems to amalgamate armies better as you said in your notes. Looking forward to occasional big battles and not pissy little sieges the AI normally hassles you with every turn.
    Oh... yes.. I have .. I forgot to add it.. .. anyways.. You should have an option to use and try a 'night-fight' with any (I think) general.. Or if not - then he should gain some victories before he start's a battle. Pyrros can make night battles from the start for example (and he has no night_fighter trait)...so

Quote Originally Posted by Blazing141
    Got it working but as the poster above mentions, the "faction eliminated" screen picture doesnt appear, instead you just get a box wit text...

Also, while I have the box "try a night battle" appearing, the game wont let me click on it to actually do a night battle--do I need to have a particular trait before that I can check the box and night batter becomes selectable?
    I think you just need one better general, Like I said.. Pyrros can do it right away and so can Gonatas.. I think that some trait like 'good commander' or .. you know, win a couple of battles and the try again
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-10-2007 at 22:00.

I see you've used this command in descr_strat
    Code:
    options bi, night_battles_enabled
    Can someone report if they got the faction eliminated pics to show up correctly when they eliminate a faction of course
    Saw it? The info form Blazing141? The faction eliminated pics are not the prob any more - I think that if they can't be shown - the ALX.exe engine just pop's up the text... Realy.. Alexander is god for EB

Well they were not causing CTDs or anything just preventing the pics from showing up,
    I'm not too big on night battles anyway they were very rare in those times, mostly skirmishes or raids were carried at night. Think about it for a Hellenistic faction to mantain the order needed for the line of phalanxes at night would've been close to impossible I believe, and for horse-archers to shoot in the night....

Most important thing is that the immortal FMs are gone.

Well they were not causing CTDs or anything just preventing the pics from showing up,
    I'm not too big on night battles anyway they were very rare in those times, mostly skirmishes or raids were carried at night. Think about it for a Hellenistic faction to mantain the order needed for the line of phalanxes at night would've been close to impossible I believe, and for horse-archers to shoot in the night....

Most important thing is that the immortal FMs are gone.
    Yes, I don't like night-battles much either.. That is just one + to EB 1 on Alex.exe, But what I am waithing for is Lgt to see if he can make some features from BI into Alex.. like swimming, or hordes.. or shiellwall (whic is ment anyways for some units in EB but due to RTW.exe engine limits it could not be implemented..).. And I am sure night battles were often in the Far East and nomad lands.. That is all the way from East Europe to China.. And even Germania and Gaul.. so.. For greeks I agree.. And if you are to play one night-fight with phalanx you will see that IT IS realy hard to command.. so, that is 'value' for me..

Anyway, If you are just to 'check' ALX.exe on EB for just 10 turns... you will be happy.. I can't give you data for campaign speed because I don't know how to measure it.. but!

My CPU is in very 'lighter' ambient and more friendly environment after I use Alex engine for my EB game

I know its impolitic but has anyone have any idea about 1.1 and when it might be coming out? The AI is definitely better using Alex, BTW. Maks is right about that.

Oh... I hope it will be New Year's present from EB team to the fans!
    In that case.. I will make EB tattoo on my PC!

And can anyone confirm that he had night battles ok...with any general .)
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-10-2007 at 22:01.

No, not night battles, but have you seen that the AI is able to retrain units with the ALX.exe?

I had watched some AI moves and the Epeirote had about 1/2 stack in Taras. Of this they moved out all save one (suposingly) unit to fight some Roman invasion armies. After these battles the 1/2 stack was drasticly reduced and the few suvivors moved back to Taras. I thought they were done for because they had not build any new units in the town meanwhile.

But no! The very next turn they had 7 units with exact full strength and a lot of chevrons in Taras. Either the AI had retrained them (what it is not able to do with the RTW or BI.ex) or it is cheating against itself and had beamed them form the mainland (they don't have any ships). But even then they should have been some units understrength in Taras.

I have checked some towns of the AI and all units were full strength there, save for the lowest class units like Pantodapoi, archers and the like. Now I understand how the Maks have been able to hold Pella for the last 25 years against KH, Epeiros and Getai: they have some full strength double gold chevron elite in there that they are retraining constantly between two attacks.

Disclaimer: my posts are to be considered my private opinion and not offical statements by the EB Team

Quote Originally Posted by konny
    ...but have you seen that the AI is able to retrain units with the ALX.exe?
    Konny, you sure about that? AI is not retraining units in Medieval II, that's for sure...

I have no other explanation for the magical 1-turn recovery of AI armies in one city.

Quote Originally Posted by konny
    No, not night battles, but have you seen that the AI is able to retrain units with the ALX.exe?

I had watched some AI moves and the Epeirote had about 1/2 stack in Taras. Of this they moved out all save one (suposingly) unit to fight some Roman invasion armies. After these battles the 1/2 stack was drasticly reduced and the few suvivors moved back to Taras. I thought they were done for because they had not build any new units in the town meanwhile.

But no! The very next turn they had 7 units with exact full strength and a lot of chevrons in Taras. Either the AI had retrained them (what it is not able to do with the RTW or BI.ex) or it is cheating against itself and had beamed them form the mainland (they don't have any ships). But even then they should have been some units understrength in Taras.

I have checked some towns of the AI and all units were full strength there, save for the lowest class units like Pantodapoi, archers and the like. Now I understand how the Maks have been able to hold Pella for the last 25 years against KH, Epeiros and Getai: they have some full strength double gold chevron elite in there that they are retraining constantly between two attacks.

W...What?! Are you sure I always thought that it was just my imagination .. now I am sure it is your's too

My god! That is the reason I ended my campaign with Epeiros.. I never had enough army to run down those AS in Sardis... They had large wall, royal barracks and they were apparently retraining the troops! I mean.. I know that after killing two of their armies at Pergamum they just could not get another one.. Then when they 'it seems now' retrained some units - they had another army in the next turn! I really thought I did not see one army coming form the East - but NO! Now I am sure it was retraining

Anyway.. konny.. did you noticed and saw that AI is really training the best unit's it has.. I mean, do I played maybe more EB on Alex then other gamers here... but, after AI gains the Army barracks and/or royal in the east.. you can not.. I will say that again - you can not beat him! Neither AS or Aegypt.. It is clearly impossible!!!

EBBS script is not a friend of EB on Alex.exe! And even those construction or share systems either.. You know that in about 250 bc.. Almost all of Aegypt or Seleucid towns have Royal or Army barracks?! I know! I have reached Alexandria and Babylon with Epeiros spy!

Some City Mod or 'balance' of construction times or balance of EBBS script is needed for EB 1.1, even if it means adding Army Barracks to all capitols and then make Main barracks construction time like 5 or 10 times longer.. because AI is going to win either way.. Unless you cheat! ...

I am working right now on one basic balance mod for EB on Alex.. I just can't take this hard Alex AI engine with EB way's that are made for RTW engine.. It will mess your game.. you will see after 250 bc
    Last edited by Maksimus; 12-10-2007 at 22:01.

Page 6 of 69 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast