Thread: Samurai (not Ashi) Horde?

Has anyone ever tried HORDE tactics themselves? Rather than producing the useless ASHI by the millions, I think it'd be fun (and cheap) to create Yari Samurai by the thousands.

They're pretty cheap, and useful for defense and attack both. On defense, you just position them all as close to the attacker's zone as possible and try to force a rout as soon as possible.

As I progress in this game (I always play single player) I get weird whims now and again.

Duff
    Duff -
    Look for me online as HIRO SAITO

With all the money I would have at the end of the campaign I usually have monks hordes.

------------------
    Honour to Clan No Fear.

Visit my resource centre at: http://terazawa.totalwar.org

Ashis are not useless (check out the thread "ashis waste of Koku?"). But whatever works for you is fine.

I'm the only useless thing in the game...

But that's okay, I like it that way. No one bothers me...they all just walk past me, like I'm invisible.

Have you seen my hand?

------------------
    Honour And Pride
    --Bodhiharma Daidoji
    Honour And Pride
    --Bodhiharma Daidoji

The other day someone used an Archer horde in a multiplayer game. I was quite confused as to why my monks were being routed, until I discoverd all that players units were archers, and they decimated my monks in melee with his partner's units.

I know make it a point to check more closely before I commit shock troops to such a confused area.

haha.....yesterday I came up against the Usesugi archer horde. With my horde of honor 3 monks and heavy cavalry....oooh that was a bloodbath

even though he was defending (I had to do this twice, once to beat him down into tha castle, and once when he sallied) he charged down a big ravine, while my troops gathered on top. I rained arrows on him, then said "what the hell" and ordered a full attack on his daimyo unit! haha.....1920 troops all going after this poor sap, it was almost depressing to watch the hopeless resistance it put up. in the end:
    uesugi causalties - 856
    my casualties - 32

------------------
    SAYA NO UCHI NO KACHI
    SAYA NO UCHI NO KACHI

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

I sort of dislike playing against armies that are made up of one type or another unit and no other; usually of all Archers for the Uesugi, all Ashi for the Hjo, and usually all Cav Archers/Yari Cav for Takeda.

What ends up happening is that I make tailor-made banners to fight these specific enemy armies, for example a Cav based army to fight Uesugi, but these prove to be boring since I prefer armeis that are more well-rounded or at least have a variety of units. Also, by some point in the game I'm stuck with ten unbalanced armies.