Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faction Thread 11: Dark Elves

Default Faction Thread 11: Dark Elves

Placeholder
    Careless Orc Costs Lives!

Default Re: Faction Thread 11: Dark Elves

Campain map: As discussed elsewhere, Dark Elves shuld have a realy strong navy, and wuld prefer invation from the sea.

Dark elves shuld have a strong defence aginst chaos. They have a chain of forts along the border in warhammer fantasy. I suggest alot of castles shuld be placed here.

oh NOM NOM NOM Member Spankfurt's Avatar

Maybe with alot of free garrisoning. 8 free slots in each tower? you dont want to be paying for 25+ regiments up there every turn.
    ­­well guys, im off like a lepper teste

Perhaps making a series of easily-defended chokepoints along the mountains would help the DE out? Impassible terrain/high mountains and such so that the borders are more manageable.

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world, like blue mantles beneath the stars...
    Is fhearr fheuchainn na bhith san duil.

I agree with that idea Taranaich.

Quote Originally Posted by Taranaich
    Perhaps making a series of easily-defended chokepoints along the mountains would help the DE out? Impassible terrain/high mountains and such so that the borders are more manageable.
    yea i have to agree if the DE dont have some kind of terrain advantage against chaos then i think they might get steam rolled. would also be nice to see a fort in the gaps with garrisoned units at the start of the campaign
    For Middenheim & The Empire!

Annoying Warhammer know-it-all Member DrZoidberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Taranaich
    And make the closest chaos waste settlement small and far off. If the DE start with towers at that border they'll see them come a mile off and can easily bolster defences when needed.
    Sorry you must have been boring. -Dr Zoidberg

Also, maybe, the basic unit, could be somewhat cheap and easily available.
    I mean, every single dark elf is used as soldier in the witch king armies... so basically all the dark elf population have a basic training and can be used as basic cannon fooder.

oh NOM NOM NOM Member Spankfurt's Avatar

In many ways, GW(games workshop) Contradicts itself. It makes it seem as if the forces of good have waining populations, yet it keeps on killing off millions of people either way. The dark elves should be extinct the way they're going, unless they're part Irish and have whole clans of children :D
    ­­well guys, im off like a lepper teste

Quote Originally Posted by Spankfurt
    In many ways, GW(games workshop) Contradicts itself. It makes it seem as if the forces of good have waining populations, yet it keeps on killing off millions of people either way. The dark elves should be extinct the way they're going, unless they're part Irish and have whole clans of children :D
    Your bang on with that, its something GW needs to sort out, High Elves and Dwarves breed at a slow rate and are classed as dying, yet they seem to throw thousands upon thousands of lives away, they, along with Dark Elves should be extinct.

Lizardmen is another example of that, they hardly hatch any new civilization, yet they again throw thousands at invaders.

P.S sorry for taking it off topic

well warhammer wouldent be very good if it was just humans vs chaos as chaos would win (wasent the first version of warhammer just chaos?)
    For Middenheim & The Empire!

Quote Originally Posted by Enthes
    (wasent the first version of warhammer just chaos?)
    I decided to dig out a few of my now scarce memories with some friendly reminicing amoung friends so...

Nope, it had other races like humans, goblins and night elves too. The latter became dark elves later, I think when slann appeared, in 2nd edition. Most notably, magic was different, there was next to no 'depth' and armies were not well-balanced at all. It took 2nd edition to even think of point values (if I remember rightly) but in an open-ended way so that wasn't balanced particularly well either. Too much scope for affording anything and stacking your army 'deck' with good stuff. It wasn't until 3rd edition that they got tighter on that but since then I guess their development has been aimed at rules simplification as well as background. Not a bad thing mind, not when 3rd edition was pretty complex, especially movement.

2nd edition was the first I played, though a friend of mine picked up an old copy of 1st edition for us to laugh at. That's mainly because it had virtually no background and was pretty simple; if anything I'm probably understating it too. Of course we laughed at 2nd edition as well, with it's vimto monks and dark elf 'ninjas' being aimed at what I can only assume was adolescent male powertrip fantasies of the day. Ah the nostalgia, especially when we used to get ads on TV for the Vimto soft drink *grin*.

WH background was in development through White Dwarf articles and such for a while before the WHFRP game came out but that's what really brought background character to the WHFB game. Of course much was 'borrowed' but then what isn't in an RP setting, especially one that was meant to be loosely based on real life stuff. Almost unforgiveable though was the rule borrowing, some, er, 'inspired' by Runequest that GW had rights to publish once upon a time. It makes me chuckle whenever someone mentions lawsuits and getting closed down, considering this is very much a fact - they nicked stuff themselves and while the companies concerned existed, though they changed enough to make it pass inspection. One example I recall off the top of my head is the 1st edition WHFRP to hit table, which is exactly the same as that used by Chaosium for RQ, except they replaced the scale with different dice. I don't doubt they'd pursue such things but I wonder if they'd have to defend their own past actions, by doing the exact same thing they'd be accusing others of.

Their creativity may have been somewhat lacking (in fact Bwian and crew have probably put more effort into this mod than the designers did into 1st edition WHFB!) but their marketing strategy can't be faulted. That's easily evidenced by the fact that they're still here after all this time, especially when many game companies aren't. To some extent they probably had a hand in that however, seeing as how they had stores (quite often the only RP dedicated stores) in many UK cities, along with a dedicated RPing magazine that reduced and then stopped promoting other company's products. It was all part of the original marketting push, with the sole aim of enabling Mr Ansell to float the company and then sell it, though he bought it back, or bought into it again I think. Hmm, probably a good job the life of "Bwian" is well known or I might be tempted to think the name was an homage to Mr Ansell ;)

Oh yeah, to make this vaguely resemble the topic (maybe too late, sorry), please, no dark elf ninjas :p

nooooo!!!111!!! gief drak elv nijnas plx!!!

...or perhaps not, on a second thought ;)
    Nice with a little history though, I used to play (and still own the rules) of 1st edition 40K, 1st edition Blood Bowl and 2nd edition WHFB and GW was quite different back in the days.
    Can´t say all changes have been to the better, they released some pretty nice games back then... old epic, Adeptus Titanicus and so on... but well, well...
    I'm very much off-topic.

Annoying Warhammer know-it-all Member DrZoidberg's Avatar

But we'll surely have dark elf pirates?
    Sorry you must have been boring. -Dr Zoidberg

Pirates commanded by Captain Drizzt Blackbeard? Yarr!

we should get more split land the 7 towers of naggororth not the chaos waste one i mean the cites har ganath? the witch elf place and exucuinors and malikeths city the capital

Aren't there six? The Six Cities? Har Ganeth, Hag Graef, Klar Karond, Karond Kar, Ghrond and Naggarond.

This should be the only cities they start with. The watchtowers to the north should be represented by forts/ watchtowers.

Fireblade

Fireblade is correct. The large cities should be the main focus of the DE territories. Any more would make them to powerful. In going with the GW fluff here is a bit on their cities

Naggarond: Capital city, home of the Witchking Malekith and the feared Black Guard units. Should be a city in the game.

Clar Karond: to the south of the sea of chill, home of the DE navy, where most of the Corsair units come from. Should be a city in the game as well.

Har Ganeth: Home of the Executioners unit. Once a HE army was captured here and the whole city was covered in blood of sacrifice. This should be a city.

Hag Graef: Where the original Cold Ones were captured, in the mines of Hag Graef. This should be a citadel with the ability to have mines in the territory.

Klar Karond: Huge trading city where all the slaves are brought to be sold, it is also home to the beastmasters. Should be a city.

Ghrond: This was built as a defence against chaos invasions, and was given over to the Temple of Khaine, and has a large contingent of sorcerers. Definantely a citadel.

Watchtowers should just be that in the game, watchtowers. Let characters build them themselves.

Might be a bit off topic here but wouldnt a reskinned battle field assasins/hassashim be able to fullfill the role of shade and shadow warrior (if either will exist in mod)?

If I remember correctly Bwian said that all the units in this mod would be authentic and that he wil do no re-skinning. I hope that helps to answer your question.

Mmm reskinning the models might have been a poor choice of words, what i was trying to say was to use the code or w/e u call it which allows the battlefield assasins to dissapear if standing still for shades/shadow warriors. Just the mention of a ninja made me think bout it

Awesome Cold One Knight Member Goncalou's Avatar

Post Re: Faction Thread 11: Dark Elves

Quote Originally Posted by Maniacus
    Mmm reskinning the models might have been a poor choice of words, what i was trying to say was to use the code or w/e u call it which allows the battlefield assasins to dissapear if standing still for shades/shadow warriors. Just the mention of a ninja made me think bout it
    dont shadow warriors use bows though.
    It's a fool's race to be run, if all is lost if it be won.

Talking Re: Faction Thread 11: Dark Elves

O.K., here it is im gonna tell u all the names of the dark elf characters and units: Beastlord Rakarth of Karond Kar, Kouran, Captain of the Black Guard, Tullaris of Har Ganeth, Shadowblade, Master of Assassins, Malus Darkblade, Scion of Hag Graef, Morathi, The Hag Sorceress, and Malekith, the Wicth King. Now for the units: Spearmen, Crossbowmen, Corsair, Dark Rider, Shade, Wicth Elf, Cold One Chariot, Cold One Knight, Executioner, Harpies, Hydra, Black Guard, Reaper Bolt Thrower, Manticore, Dark Pegasus, Dark Steed, Black Dragon, and Cold One. Sorry, i no there will be no flying units but i included them anyway. And finally for the cities:Ghrond, Karon Kar, Har Ganeth, Naggorond, Hag Graef, Clar Karond, and Arnhiem. There it is all the cities, units, and characters. P.S. theres 7+ wacth towers on the chaos border, and another charcater is that Queen of the Wicth Elves that hates the cult of Slaanesh.
    P.S.S. will there be an option for dark elf players to become the cult of Slaanesh, that would be kind of cool, Thanks.

Arrow Re: Faction Thread 11: Dark Elves

Quote Originally Posted by Underway
    Fireblade is correct. The large cities should be the main focus of the DE territories. Any more would make them to powerful. In going with the GW fluff here is a bit on their cities

Naggarond: Capital city, home of the Witchking Malekith and the feared Black Guard units. Should be a city in the game.

Clar Karond: to the south of the sea of chill, home of the DE navy, where most of the Corsair units come from. Should be a city in the game as well.

Har Ganeth: Home of the Executioners unit. Once a HE army was captured here and the whole city was covered in blood of sacrifice. This should be a city.

Hag Graef: Where the original Cold Ones were captured, in the mines of Hag Graef. This should be a citadel with the ability to have mines in the territory.

Klar Karond: Huge trading city where all the slaves are brought to be sold, it is also home to the beastmasters. Should be a city.

Ghrond: This was built as a defence against chaos invasions, and was given over to the Temple of Khaine, and has a large contingent of sorcerers. Definantely a citadel.

Watchtowers should just be that in the game, watchtowers. Let characters build them themselves.
    What about Arnhiem, that should be a starting place or rebel settlement shouldn't it. And can the modders make the wacth towers like the permanent forts in the brittania campaign or something.

how will u guys do the DE family tree, because Malekith can't have any children cause in the DE army book it says the first child born from the powerful dark sorcerer (malekith assumes this is himself) will over throw him. so will malus darkblade or another character be the faction heir or will malekith adopt people, or will he just not be able to die of old age please give me some feedback i love the total war series and the dark elves, lizardmaen, brettonia, high elves, and wood elves warhammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Goncalou
    What about Arnhiem, that should be a starting place or rebel settlement shouldn't it. And can the modders make the wacth towers like the permanent forts in the brittania campaign or something.
    Arnhelm as is the elf way to write it (arnheim is the spelling used by empire scholars) is a high elf outpost on the shores of naggaroth.

Cult of slaanesh would be a nice option, but something which should be in a second version, there is work enough to do already without another faction i believe. It would be somehow similar to the lithuanians becoming christian in kingdoms.

About malekith, what about something like the teutonic order, no family tree but a bunch of generals of which one will become king after malekith dies (in battle that is)

Fireblade

Please, post one time only, and edit your posts if you want to add something.

If you guys that are making the mod havent figured out unit names yet besides things like elite and veteran spearmen you guys could use that factions/units champion/hero/lord/ names. So for dark elf spearmen it would go like this: Spearmen, Lordling Spearmen, Noble Spearmen, and finally Highborn Spearmen.
    P.S. Can u tell me which faction the DE are being modeled after, cause i no chaos is denmark, brettonia is france, and empire is the holy roman empire, so if u can tell me id really appreciate it, thanks.

Milan I think.

How strangely fitting, Milan being the sneaky back-stabbing bastards they are.

The Cult of Slaanesh could work simply as a trait or a part of a retinue. I'm not too savvy on Slaanesh, so don't know what the effects would be, but that's one way of doing it. The Lithuania-model could work as well.
    As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one. - Godwin's Law

Quote Originally Posted by Severe
    How strangely fitting, Milan being the sneaky back-stabbing bastards they are.

The Cult of Slaanesh could work simply as a trait or a part of a retinue. I'm not too savvy on Slaanesh, so don't know what the effects would be, but that's one way of doing it. The Lithuania-model could work as well.
    -X% to income tax to represent slaves/money being spent on their excesses
    +X Morale to units on the battlefield to represent their lust for the pleasures (and pains of battle).

Something like that if the whole Slaneesh thing would be a simple trait rather than a faction which IMHO is better since theres already enough work on the platter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast