Thread: AI Offensive Siege Behavior

Default AI Offensive Siege Behavior

I'm sorry if these bugs have already been discussed to death, but I tried searching "AI Siege Behavior" and couldn't find anything.

I dragged out two siege battles much longer than I should've due to poor AI. In the first, after lots of fighting, I had a full-strength Town Militia and some archers in my center square. The enemy had a decent cavalry unit and a bunch of badly beat-up infantry units. So what does he do? The cavalry unit guarded the gate while he sent his infantry up one unit at a time. They'd get close to me and panic. Eventually I think he massed his infantry and that worked, but it took over 15 minutes for him to do that.

Leading to the second battle, I have a kick-butt computer (AMD 4800+ with two GeForce 7800GTX in SLI and 2 Gig of RAM) and, using the biggest unit size, the game wouldn't let there be more than two full stacks (one each side) on the battle map at once. I received a graphics-related notice that my computer can't handle more. What gives? RTW didn't have this problem.

The second battle was at Jerusalem. I had about 3/4 of a stack of Englishmen and mercenaries, and was attacked by 2 full Mongol stacks. I decided to go down in glory. The second Mongol stack was intercepted by the bug above. The battle boiled down to about 1/2 of a Mongol horse unit in the center square, versus 3 of my crossbowmen (figures, not units). I don't know where the rest of the Mongols were, I know many were dead, and maybe they were locked out of my gates, as I had sortied to take them on. Anyway, the Mongol horse just stayed in the square and let my 3 crossbowmen shoot them all to death! I won with 3 survivors! Camerone, eat your heart out!

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

Default Re: AI Offensive Siege Behavior

The reinforcements delay "bug"can be repaired by editing medieval2preference.cfg. Change in the line unlimited_men_on_battlefield = 0 the 0 in a 1.

The AI has its difficulties with sieges. I have won sieges just by pulling back to the town square and let the timer run out.
    Tosa Inu

Default Re: AI Offensive Siege Behavior

Either Kingdoms or one of the patches set the "unlimited men" flag for me. Thanks for the advice.