Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Bugs and Patch Changes v1.6 (BI)

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: BI Bugs (read first post before posting)

Quote Originally Posted by KSEG
    Are all the reports in this thread is actually sent to CA?
    There isn't much point in reporting a bug if the devs won't notice it right?
    Since the developer visit here occasionaly, I am sure they know about it. One of them even posted in the LM bug thread some time ago.

Incidentally, wouldn't it be wise to start this thread over again for 1.5/1.6?
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Default Re: BI Bugs (read first post before posting)

Units don't just sometimes get stuck fighting the ghosts of already departed foes - sometimes those ghosts fight back. A while ago I was mildly suprised when a fair few of my Egyptian phalangites managed to die passing over the remnants of smashed enemies - although I'll grant that those spikes protruding from the wrecks of Scythed Chariots would no doubt be rather dangerous to cavort around IRL, I'm pretty sure they aren't supposed to kill people in the game...
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

deleted to make new thread for 1.6 bugs.
    Last edited by Slicendice; 12-24-2005 at 01:15.

After I installed BI, I can't get back to my previous RTW saves my campaign there (huge), but they seem to be there in the folder!?

Anything that isn't 'member' Member Squid's Avatar

Install the 1.6 BI Patch and you should have access to your saves again.

-Trait/Ancillary/Building Editor

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
    and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Aged retainer Member Guyus Germanicus's Avatar

OK, I've looked over the threads and I don't see any posting for this bug:

In my BI games, regardless of the faction I am playing, I'm having this same problem if I attack a city with large stone walls or huge stone walls. I send my siege towers to the walls, and invariably, one or two or three of the towers get stuck.

By that I mean, the units line up the siege tower against the wall, as they're supposed to, then when they are supposed to disappear into the siege tower to ascend the tower to the top of the city wall, they don't. Instead, the men tumble about at the entrance at the base of the siege tower and stay stuck there.

Getting them unstuck, by pressing the halt button and having them return to the outside of the siege tower, is a real ordeal. If I didn't try to get them unstuck, they would literally stay there, tumbling about at the base entrance of the tower throughout the battle.

Usually this only happens to one or two of my siege towers. Depending on the size of the defending garrison, I will build between 4-5 siege towers for an assault. But in one case I've even had three of my siege towers become afflicted with this malady.

Having browsed thru several threads on this site, I haven't seen that anyone else in the guild is having this problem.

Is there a fix for this problem? Has anyone else had this problem?
    "Those who would sacrifice a generation to realize an ideal are the enemies of mankind."
    -- Eric Hoffer

"Everyone after he has been fully trained, will be like His teacher." -- Luke 6:40

Quote Originally Posted by Guyus Germanicus
    OK, I've looked over the threads and I don't see any posting for this bug:

In my BI games, regardless of the faction I am playing, I'm having this same problem if I attack a city with large stone walls or huge stone walls. I send my siege towers to the walls, and invariably, one or two or three of the towers get stuck.

By that I mean, the units line up the siege tower against the wall, as they're supposed to, then when they are supposed to disappear into the siege tower to ascend the tower to the top of the city wall, they don't. Instead, the men tumble about at the entrance at the base of the siege tower and stay stuck there.

Getting them unstuck, by pressing the halt button and having them return to the outside of the siege tower, is a real ordeal. If I didn't try to get them unstuck, they would literally stay there, tumbling about at the base entrance of the tower throughout the battle.

Usually this only happens to one or two of my siege towers. Depending on the size of the defending garrison, I will build between 4-5 siege towers for an assault. But in one case I've even had three of my siege towers become afflicted with this malady.

Having browsed thru several threads on this site, I haven't seen that anyone else in the guild is having this problem.

Is there a fix for this problem? Has anyone else had this problem?
    According to the readme file I saw on patch 1.5/1.6 this particular problem was supposed to be dealt with in these patches. But I have the Gold Edition of RTW deployed on my laptop, from the ERAs package. So I'm supposed to already be patched to 1.6. Nevertheless, I'm still getting the aforementioned bug.

So I welcome any suggestions from them who might help.
    "Those who would sacrifice a generation to realize an ideal are the enemies of mankind."
    -- Eric Hoffer

"Everyone after he has been fully trained, will be like His teacher." -- Luke 6:40

Enforcer of Exonyms Member Barbarossa82's Avatar
    Englaland (and don't let the Normans tell you any different!)

Quote Originally Posted by Guyus Germanicus
    According to the readme file I saw on patch 1.5/1.6 this particular problem was supposed to be dealt with in these patches. But I have the Gold Edition of RTW deployed on my laptop, from the ERAs package. So I'm supposed to already be patched to 1.6. Nevertheless, I'm still getting the aforementioned bug.

So I welcome any suggestions from them who might help.
    They didn't fix the problem with 1.5/1.6, they caused it. Pre-1.5/1.6, there was a separate problem whereby men would occasionally fall down between the siege tower and the wall. This was what CA claimed to fix with the last patch, and perhaps they did fix it. But in doing so they caused this, more serious problem.

There have been some efforts by modders here at the org to correct the issue by editing the details of the tower, but without much luck. However, it is apparently possible to mitigate the problem by repeatedly pressing backspace (cancel orders) and re-issuing the order to get up onto the wall. It is very annoying when it happens though.
    Self-proclaimed winner of the "Member who Looks Most Like their Avatar" contest 2007

My Armenian AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa82
    They didn't fix the problem with 1.5/1.6, they caused it. Pre-1.5/1.6, there was a separate problem whereby men would occasionally fall down between the siege tower and the wall. This was what CA claimed to fix with the last patch, and perhaps they did fix it. But in doing so they caused this, more serious problem.

There have been some efforts by modders here at the org to correct the issue by editing the details of the tower, but without much luck. However, it is apparently possible to mitigate the problem by repeatedly pressing backspace (cancel orders) and re-issuing the order to get up onto the wall. It is very annoying when it happens though.

Thanks Barbarossa.

I read about that other issue in this forum, about the men falling off the towers. Apparently CA has been short of good testers in the past. Hopefully with Jack Lusted there now testing has improved. I can't understand how such an obvious bug could just slip through the cracks or be allowed to stay in a release. My customers at work would drive me crazy if I did that to them. Taking cities with large or huge stone walls is de rigueur in BI. You can't get around it. And waiting out sieges takes too long. Some of these cities could hold out for 9 to 10 turns.

I shall try the 'backspace' key. What I've usually been doing is simply spacing out my siege towers so that at least one unit can find a way to get on the walls unopposed. Then I can move them to support by capturing wall towers to stop the wall towers' archers from sniping my tumbling brethren in my siege towers. I have never had a success getting a tumbling unit to the top of a wall. Probably I've just not shown the patience. I usually just try to get them disengaged from the tower from the ground by cancelling their command and then re-issuing commands to move away from the siege tower until they finally respond. And that takes awhile.

What an a n n o y i n g little bug!!!

Thanks again for responding Barbarossa.
    -- Eric Hoffer

I do what Barbarossa mentioned and it always works for me. After hitting backspace wait until all the soldiers are standing still before re-issuing orders though, they seem to make better progress that way in my experience. You can also mod out the Large Stone Walls by going to the export_descr_buildings file in your data folder if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    I do what Barbarossa mentioned and it always works for me. After hitting backspace wait until all the soldiers are standing still before re-issuing orders though, they seem to make better progress that way in my experience.
    Thanks. I'll give that a shot.
    -- Eric Hoffer

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    I do what Barbarossa mentioned and it always works for me. After hitting backspace wait until all the soldiers are standing still before re-issuing orders though, they seem to make better progress that way in my experience.
    Phoenix, et al -

The backspace/re-issue command eventually works in siege tower assaults. But, I dare say, it would be problemmatic in the extreme if you're assaulting a well-defended settlement. You can't be banging away at the backspace key and fight a seriously defended wall. One thing I noticed while using the backspace command. If you time your hitting 'backspace' so that the tumbling unit finishes his tumbling just as he steps into the siege tower, he will then ascend the tower when you re-issue the command to ascend the tower.

Also, I've noticed a couple other serious bugs in BI.

Today, while playing the Huns, I had both Constantinople and Thessalonica under siege. The sieges would terminate in the same term if I waited them out, and I did. When the turn ended, I won both cities. Since I had not yet 'settled' in a homeland I was going to sack them both to collect the money and reduce the population, then re-besiege and retake them to settle in/occupy with reduced populations.

When the turn ended, the AI granted me the win at Thessalonica, offered me the option to 'sack' or 'occupy,' and I choose 'sack'. But what the game did was: (1) it granted me the sack option for both cities - Thessalonica AND Constantinople - without prompting me with a separate choice for Constantinople, (2) it gave me the money for the sacking of both cities, (3) invested my armies in both cities as OCCUPIERS, and (4) left the populations in tact as if I had chosen to occupy instead of sack. I lost half my Hun army because the game interpreted my battle as an occupation, and I was faced with two hugely unmanageable city populations. OHHHHHHHHH I was PO'd!

But that's not the only bug. Seems when a foreign army takes Thessalonica, the port goes away and it doesn't appear as a building option. Grrrrrr That happened when I was playing the Huns and the Goths on separate occasaions.

I can't believe what a slipshod product CA put out with Barbarian Invasion. It makes you have second thoughts about buying the Kingdoms expansion of M2TW.

Any comments Mods? Would to read the reflections of serious veteran gamers on this subject? Apologias, mea culpas, whatever. . .

I consider myself just an amateur even though I've been playing for about a year and a half.
    -- Eric Hoffer

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567