Thread: Plan for the map?

Default Plan for the map?

I couldn't find a visual plan for the map so I made my own proposal including all the territories that were listed in the Gods of the North mod, along with a few extra areas that could not be excluded (mainly because Ophir extends below them and I can't just crop them out).

I also included part of the Vilayet Sea and its surrounding areas because I thought the map needed more water.

Default Re: Plan for the map?

Here is a map I found of the world:
    http://content.answers.com/main/cont...boria_1024.jpg

I revised the map a little more to try and enlarge the main areas and get rid of some unneeded territories.

Well, thanks very much for the proposal Volkmar. Your proposal is pretty close to the original concept for Gods of the North, but because I felt it seemed a bit lonely (and I agree it needed a bit more water) I decided to include a few more factions and a bigger space, since the mod's been progressing a little faster than expected. I've been using Vincent Darlage's fantastic work to build a new and (hopefully) more accurate map, where the Zaporoska River's in the right place and Stygia's a more reasonable size.

Here's the new map for GotN (sans names, settlements and other bits):

As you can see there are a heapload more factions: Zingara, Argos, Koth, Pelishtia, Stygia, Zamora, the Zuagir and Turan all get in the map now. Only a portion of Stygia and Turan's empires are on the map, but since there's no-one to really challenge Stygia from the south and the east is so vast not much is lost.

The new map for The Dreaming West:

This adds Kush, Tombalku, Iranistan, Keshan, Zembabwei, Ghulistan and Vendhya. This allows players to have some fun exploring the Black Kingdoms and a bit of the East, plus it shows the whole extent of Stygia and Turan. This is probably the "ideal" Hyborian Age map, as it shows the most major kingdoms of the saga in the most efficient way, without having too much or too little free territory for expansion. I might cut out Keshan and Zembabwei and leave them for the next mod so Kush/Tombalku/Iranistan doesn't explode into a vast southern empire.

The new map for Jewelled Thrones of the Earth:

This adds Kosala, Khitai and the Hyrkanians. In the first two mods the Hyrkanians will be a horde in the corner of the map so that they can be playable, but this "Hyrkanian Empire" is based on studies by Howardian Scholars (or just bored folk with too much time, heh). There's a pretty big expanse north of Hyrkania, which I'm still not entirely sure what to do with, but I'll think of something.

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world, like blue mantles beneath the stars...
    Is fhearr fheuchainn na bhith san duil.

Could you tell me where to find the images without the borders and names? I'm thinking about making a map for GotN for you to check out and see if you like it, and I need the unedited one for the height map and campaign map.

Quote Originally Posted by Volkmar
    Could you tell me where to find the images without the borders and names? I'm thinking about making a map for GotN for you to check out and see if you like it, and I need the unedited one for the height map and campaign map.
    Here you are, go down to "Vincent's World Maps" for them. Specifically, this one has no borders or names on it.

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world, like blue mantles beneath the stars...

Did you add the islands in the Vilayet Sea by yourself?

Also, do you have any quicker form of communication like AIM or MSN?

Quote Originally Posted by Volkmar
    Did you add the islands in the Vilayet Sea by yourself?
    I did, mostly because the TW map will require the islands to be a bit bigger than in real life in order to fit a settlement on.

Also, do you have any quicker form of communication like AIM or MSN?
    Unfortunately not. The area I live in is one of the few places in Scotland that has no internet, meaning I have to go to a friend's or relative's house to use their computer for access. Usually I can get round frequently, but unfortunately I can't use any of the chatroom programs due to limited control over said computers.

Well if you need any help with anything you know who to come to.

Here's the region map. The first release will be just the upper left quarter, the second from north Kush (olive splodge) to west Vendhya (pink splodge), and the third the whole map.

Not 100% finished in regards to province/settlement names, but this is pretty much the layout. The northwest might look extremely crowded and the east awfully sparse, but I'd rather include as much Howard material as possible rather than make up too much. So far I'm up to 195 of the 198 provinces (two for seas, though I don't know if I should make it just the one), I'm undecided on the last three, though they'll probably be used to fill out Iranistan, Vendhya and Kosala.

A height and river map will follow, and then a wonders/resource map.

A thousand lunas to whoever guesses the name for the settlement in the northeast (hint: read the Phoenix on the Sword draft.)

W.O.W. (and it doesn't mean world of warcraft)

You like EB? Buy CA games.

Great map. If you need any help with region and settlement names just ask.

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

I'm as Howardian as anyone can get,but you've got the right idea for the map. REH's maps are great,but the above one is much more geographically correct. Plus it puts in more water around the continent,making naval supremacy a far more tedious task. But here's a idea: maybe consider puting in some channels,so as you can send ships from the Western (Atlantic) Ocean,to the Southern (Indian) Sea,and into the Valayet Sea?
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanGlory1983
    I'm as Howardian as anyone can get,but you've got the right idea for the map. REH's maps are great,but the above one is much more geographically correct. Plus it puts in more water around the continent,making naval supremacy a far more tedious task. But here's a idea: maybe consider puting in some channels,so as you can send ships from the Western (Atlantic) Ocean,to the Southern (Indian) Sea,and into the Valayet Sea?
    There are quite a few water channels not shown on the map which would allow access to ships: The Styx (already on the map) allows travel from the Western Sea to the Eastern Desert; the Alimane and Khorotas rivers allow Aquilonia to access to the Western Sea, as well as the southern reaches of the Black and Thunder rivers; and the Zaporoska River connects the edge of Brythunia to the Vilayet. In addition to these known rivers, a few others placed by Vincent Darlage for geographical reasons might also allow a little more room for naval maneuvers, particularly Khitai, which is riddled with them.

What nation sits between Zamora and Turan on the map?

Is that the Kozaki?

Or is that supposed to be Khauran?

I was thinking it should be the Kozaki...but I'm not sure what your plan is; and I didn't notice anything else that could be the nation of Khauran.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrik View Post

Is that the Kozaki?

Or is that supposed to be Khauran?

I was thinking it should be the Kozaki...but I'm not sure what your plan is; and I didn't notice anything else that could be the nation of Khauran.
    There is nothing but desert/stepes between Zamora and Turan,
    The Kozaki are raiders in that general area,
    And Khauran is south of Zamora and north of Shem and east of Koth
    Blackadder:"Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?"

https://skender.be/supportdenmark/#CS

Quote Originally Posted by Helgi View Post
    There is nothing but desert/stepes between Zamora and Turan,
    The Kozaki are raiders in that general area,
    And Khauran is south of Zamora and north of Shem and east of Koth
    There is something on the map. That is what I'm asking about, the color region that sits between Zamora and Turan.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrik View Post
    First of all, I must point out that this map is now out of date: a new map is being used, but hasn't yet been revealed due to some cool stuff I don't want to show off just yet. So the following isn't going to be 100% relevant to the mod as it is now.

Now, the original plan was for the orange area to be the "Kozak-Zuagir Horde", basically a union between the Kozaks and the Zuagir under Olgerd Vladislav. Olgerd's exit in "A Witch Shall Be Born" was certainly ominous enough to ensure that this wasn't the last we've seen of this desert wolf, so I was working with the idea that Olgerd returned to unite the Kozaks and Zuagir to terrorise Turan.

However, the current mod has different plans for the Kozaks and Zuagir, and especially Mr. Vladislav.