Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Religious Wars - A Desperate World

Default Re: Religious Wars - A Desperate World

We call it "Suleiman" in Arabic, so I'll just use that if it's okay.

OC: Boomer - I've cleared up some space in my PM box, sorry 'bout that!

Everyone seems a bit silent, squeak up all!

King Jan III Sobieski, the PM was sent severla days ago.

Front Page rules now include the Market part. The advantages of owning larger percentage of the Market;
    Your armies operate much more effectively, as do your generals. Matters have much more chances of succes, and revolt and religious rebellions risks are decreased.

The affairs of the market shall be conducted rapidly, it shall not be updated with every Chapter, but shall run the saem as RL. makes it much more exciting in between chapters.

I als encourage a bit more IC Character talk, not always deals and stuff but a bit of drama, c'mon, liven thus place up!

@King Jan, No need to be embarrased (Your Smilee said you were)

The aim fot his new economic feature is to
    A)Own the market giving you special benefits.
    B) Make the Economic part more fun.

Its quite easy. You get money, you buy whatever you want with that given money, your oppisition will do the same. The market is constantly updated with every buy until your money runs out, which is replenished at the start of every Chapter.
    A simplified version.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, I suppose I do have a couple questions. First of all, would buying out certain companies have potential other benefits besides just their percentage of the market they own depending on if they do anything other than just trade? For example, would controlling a fishery company provide a more stable supply of food to your citizenry, thus making them more content, and/or able to serve in military matters due to better proper health.

Also, is there any inherent advantage to controlling the market? Its interesting and all, I'm just not quite seeing the advantage to controllin the market? Does it increase your economic potential as a nation? Or perhaps help raise the value of the currency?

Also, I don't have a lot to say IC right now, give me a few turns and I might have some good strong words again.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Quote Originally Posted by kamikhaan
    . First of all, would buying out certain companies have potential other benefits besides just their percentage of the market they own depending on if they do anything other than just trade? For example, would controlling a fishery company provide a more stable supply of food to your citizenry, thus making them more content, and/or able to serve in military matters due to better proper health.
    Probably not, seeing as there are so many companies which could be represented, it would make it to clogged. If you really wanted that, I am sure a equal spred of companies could be littered across several markets; but ultimately: No, there are no benefits of owning specific companies.

Also, is there any inherent advantage to controlling the market? Its interesting and all, I'm just not quite seeing the advantage to controllin the market? Does it increase your economic potential as a nation? Or perhaps help raise the value of the currency?
    Part of my answer:
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby Boomer
    Your armies operate much more effectively, as do your generals. Matters have much more chances of succes, and revolt and religious rebellions risks are decreased
    The rest of my answer: Aboslutely. The advantages of owning market, as I explained to Caius by PM, are many.
    Better serving Generals (Smarter) and better serving armies (Better morale, fight better)
    More recruiting options.
    Your nation is richer and is more likely to win wars and will not revolt.
    More options avabile to you every Chapter.

Among some, others not as obvious and only remmebered. I hope that answers your questions kamikhaan.

It seems we've ironed out any problems with the market thing, and possily its results, so if any bigs are to be made, announce them publicly or privately!

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

Okay! You need some slots filled and I am here to fill one of them!

I suppose that I could take Spain.
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.

Welcome Motep, you are being added to the first post now, as are is a update to the economic rules with several questions recently asked by PM. As I said to Shogun when he joined; Spain, a hard country but it will be fun.

What are the advantages of Trading Agreements?

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

I declare the independence of Portugal from Spain. Now that Spain have a leader, I demand the inmediatly surrender of Spain against Portugal, they deserve freedom.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Cool Re: Religious Wars - A Desperate World

Quote Originally Posted by shlin28
    What are the advantages of Trading Agreements?
    The companies which signed the agreement do not compete with each other.

Motep (And those who have forgotten ) The dead line is January 13th.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

as I explained to Caius by PM, are many.
    I was going to quote you, but I saved the pm to my HD somewhere...

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Sorry for not PMing you yet Baby Boomer, this is a really tough chapter, it needs some thinking through and some time. Didn't realize the Ottomans were this hard to play as.

OOC: I'd still like some options, btw. Before chapter 5.

A message for all of Europe

The current situation in portugal hits me hard and deeply. I thought that I was a good ruler to the people of portugal, but this? How many people have died because of my folly...how many bastards must roam my realm for portugal...naught but a flimsy plot of land. I am filled with shame at the thought of this, I was set here to lead my people to glory and prosperity, not to fight our brothers. I should not have let this war carry on like this... not like this. For what is a man worth? Far more than one might think. How many great thinkers, great builders, artists, generals were lost in ths frightful war. Alas, my own son perished on the field. This cannot continue. I hereby declare Portugal its own independent nation, to be governed at their discretion, no longer at that of my own. I only ask of them that they accept my offer of peace, and extend thierselves to us in brotherhood once more.

-Charles I, King of Aragon and Castile

OOC: And the Holy Roman Emperor, Duke of Burgandy, Brabant, Luexembourg, and Milan, Lord of The Netherlands. I really should be in control of more land than Spain, eh?

EDIT: The HRE isnt on the factions list....
    Last edited by Motep; 01-08-2008 at 01:34.

A Confused Asian Member Ayachuco's Avatar
    In the No Man's Land between Homelessness and abject Poverty

Support for Portugese Independence

I had stated many months ago that I would support any policy that my brother, Charles, would adopt concerning the Portugese rebels. I will respect his wishes and give him my full support for his decision to give the Portugese their independence.

Ferdinand I
    Archduke of Austria
    King of the Romans and Heir to the Holy Roman Emperor
    King of Bohemia, Hungary, Croatia, and Slavonia

OOC: I was wondering why you didn't get any more land than Spain, either. But the HRE in the game is a really old man who is supposed to die soon. I guess the HRE is Maximilian but you got the title HRE in 1519 and this game starts in 1540, so you should be the HRE.
    Through the ages every weapon has evolved from two basic design philosophies, either a rock or a sharp pointy stick.

"We're not Communists, we're not pinko... we can't be, 'cause you pay to come and see us and we sell t-shirts at our gigs". Cedric Bixler-Zavala of At the Drive-In
    “I grew an afro. Not only did it make me cool, but it did wonders for my career. Oh, and I can get chicks now, too.” Omar Rodriguez-Lopez

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

I wish to express my gratitude towards Charles I King of Aragon and Castille for paying heed to my words. I hope that both catholic nations now can work together and end the muslim thread from the south.

Gerald FitzGerald,
    King of Ireland
    By grace of God
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

People of Edinburgh!

The recent assassinations of the holy fathers from Rome are both sad and regrettable; blood had been spilled when there should have been none, hatred arisen from this sad act when the people of Scotland had co-existed for centuries, without quarrel. People of Scotland, I assure you, justice shall be meted out to this vile assassins, this is a national tragedy! and as such shall people from all parts of Scotland, regardless of their faith, participate in the investigation of the wrongdoers! Let us now pray for the souls of fallen bishops, and for justice to be served upon their assassins. Let us hope that such vile tragedies will never occur in Scotland again, and we remain in peace, for the centuries to come.

King Henry of Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Draco Leman
    Support for Portugese Independence

I had stated many months ago that I would support any policy that my brother, Charles, would adopt concerning the Portugese rebels. I will respect his wishes and give him my full support for his decision to give the Portugese their independence.

Ferdinand I
    Archduke of Austria

OOC: I was wondering why you didn't get any more land than Spain, either. But the HRE in the game is a really old man who is supposed to die soon. I guess the HRE is Maximilian but you got the title HRE in 1519 and this game starts in 1540, so you should be the HRE.
    OOC: Dudes in his 80's...Somehow he lasted past 1519...*ahem*...but we will just overlook that.

Blog Entries

Motep, surely you'd realized that this IH wasn't going by history exactly. France had no civil war over religion, the English fixed theirs, the Spanish hadn't conquered Portugal, and there sure wasn't any African Alliance. The point is that, in this IH, history got turned on its head sometime around the 1490's or so.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Motep, check the end of Chapter IV, you will find I have added in your orders and a map. PM me if you need more. Icihgo, your map is being drawn and sent to you now.

I have explained to Motep and Draco Leman by PM of the issue of Holy ROman Emperor and other historical points. THank you for explaining though kamikhaan.

Alright, you wanted a bigass speech, well here you go. I was working on this for two days and this might be my last big speech since school starts back up tomorrow.

Under normal conditions, the streets of Wien would have been quiet from the lack of activity in the early hours. But with the events of the last year, the situation is no longer normal and the rhythm of the day had changed and many of the shops were open when the Counts of Innsbruck and Klagenfurt and their armed bodyguards marched out. They led their men through the market squares and passed the same market square where they had gathered months before to listen the Duke's Augsburg speech. Shouts of warning and shock came from passersbys, but instead of ducking back into the doorways of their houses many of the people went out and followed the armed men. The city of Wien will once again witness the affairs of the nobility. After the recent festivities of celebration and rejoice for the military's success against the Genoans and with the memories of the failed peasant revolt after the Augsburg Crisis still fresh on their memories, no one was in the mood to stand and watch the procession as it made its way to the winter residence of the archduke, the Hofburg Imperial Palace.

The Hofburg Palace was one of the first places where work and hot food could be found after the Augsburg Crisis. The duke had personally wanted to expand the palace and remodel the Am Hof square to make it fit for the Order of the Golden Fleece and he renamed it Schweizerhof (Swiss Court). He promised many of the workers compensation and feed them with the food from the Imperial kitchen. The work is nearly complete and only the Swiss Gate was still unpainted.

The dawn was damp and cold and the Count of Klagenfurt shivered slightly and looked to the other count. The Count of Innsbruck looked grim in the gray light and he nodded when their eyes met. They ignored the taunts and the crowd gathering behind them, drawn by the excitement and danger into a swelling mob. Up ahead, they saw a palace guard at the gate turn towards them and froze into place. The two counts told their men to stay behind and they walked toward him. The last thing they wanted was for fighting to break loose on the palace grounds. By the time the men reached the gate, the gate was already open and the guard saluted the two men. The crowd had spread and filled the roads and spilled out behind and around the palace.

The Counts could see the the Insignia of the Golden Fleece ahead of them and ten armored figures on the steps, hands on swords. Hundreds of people were filling the square from every direction, and jeers and calls could be heard echoing in the nearby streets. At the foot of the steps, the Counts took one pace forward. The crowd pushed in around them, filling ever space. The Count of Klagenfurt begin to walk up the staircase when a soldier shouted "Halt! Do not come any closer lest you want to die upon my sword!" "You all know my rank," the Count bellowed. "I am the Count of Klagenfurt and I claim my right to speak with the duke about the recent Ottoman invasion of Croatia." The crowd pressed closer and one ore two came to blows, sharp yelps and curses breaking the tension of the moment. The guard captain took two steps down, his face cold and emotionless and said "The Archduke is in the Imperial Library with his advisors on the subject of the Italian Invasion and Liberation of Venice. He will be out shortly and he will discuss this when he is ready." The Count was disgusted his mistreatment and moved back down steps knowing not to invoke the duke's anger. They waited impatiently for the duke's appearance and when the crowd began to disperse the guard captain and a flurry of horns announced the duke's procession.
    It's the duke...and a Spanish general?" the Count of Innsbruck hissed to the other count. "I remember him, he was with the army at Innsbruck and wanted to bring up some new radical ideas to use against the Genoans. I had merely dismissed him for a crock and now he was given the privelege of a private meeting with the Duke when we, Counts of importance, were forced to wait like little children! How dare that upstart..." Before the count could finish he was interrupted by the Duke's voice.
    "Hmm, it looks like I've got more visitors than I had hope to receive this morning. Well, the people do deserve to know what is going on since it is them which my decisions will affect the most. First let me introduce this young man behind..."
    "Wait!, We here to talk about the..."
    "Silence! I will not have my court humiliated in front of this man because of your constant jabbering about matters that I already know. You two are here to talk with me about the Ottoman prescence in Croatia. That has already been taken care of and I will not tolerate anyone who thinks otherwise including fools dressed as nobles. Take a step forward, young man for the crowd will want to have a better view of their new savior.

"This man you see before you will be the key to end the war with Genoa. He has presented me with fresh, new ideas; ideas that you, Count of Innsbruck, dismissed without bringing to my attention. I have been reading over the peace treaty and I will acknowledge it and sign my name upon it. However, this does not mean that the war will end since we have not heard anything from the Genoans that suggest that they want peace. Now, I believe with the help from this man and the implemention of his new ideas will force Genoans to accept the peace treaty that the HRE has proposed. Once the Genoans sign the treaty, we can turn our attention to the Ottoman threat. A decade has passed since the Battle of Mohacs and Sultan Solyman is still not satisfied with the killing of my brother-in-law, King Louis II, and subjugating the people of Hungary to his tyrannical designs. I will watch closely the Ottoman king's moves and will respond accordingly. I will not repeat the mistakes of Mohacs and will never let them do to the proud people of Austria what they did to the Hungarians and now the Croatians. The Knights of Rhodes will have my blessings, but only that for I do not have the supplies or the men to divert to their cause. But know this people of Austria, we will never bow down to the tyrants of the Ottomans and if threatened we will restore Christianity in the Balkans. I have sent out many letters to some of the nations that concern us and am waiting for their replies. I will declare another day for festivities and celebration; we will rejoice in the forthcoming success of our campaigns and diplomacy.

Correspondence from the Archduchy of Austria

To the Duke of Saxony and the German states of the Holy Roman Empire
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I have read over your proposal of becoming another Archduchy and I will do everything in my power to stop it. What you propose will bring the Empire into the grips of a civil war. One archduke has not even proved enough to stop civil wars that plague the german states and with the additional of a second one, it will destroy us all. Instead of having one claim, we are left with two legitimate claims and it will broil into a full-blown civil war when the Emperor dies. You say you accomplished your present state, Saxony, through peaceful means, but why did you build one of the largest army in Europe. Perhaps you know that your proposed plan would bring the Empire into a war and that you are preparing for it. You want the throne for yourself and your greed appalls me. The Austrian people has to turn to war because the war was brought to us. How can we look at the Venetians and not assist them in the war; we didn't want it but we had the honor to help a nation in need. I call to the Emperor and the fellow German states to see through Saxony's lies and not sign his treatise and spread his power throughout the entire Empire.

To the nefarious and foolish Genoans
    We urge you to consider the peace treaty the Holy Roman Emperor and the Pope has drawn up. Our armies and plans have been going as planned and if you do not accept the treaty then you will lose all that you have conquered in Venice. The Ottomans have attacked your armies in Croatia and without their support your seige of Venice will not last any longer. My main attack force has reached Venice and it will be only a matter of time before your besieging army will find themselves trapped between my army and Venice's walls. Accept the peace treaty and we can launch our attacks on one common foe for the glory of Christiandom. Decline and feel the wrath of the papal bull and the might of my armies. If you continue along this path of destruction, then you will lose more than the land you've taken from the Venetians.

A Message to the Sicilians
    You have joined the Genoans in their plans of Italian domination and have dared attack my liberation forces at Bellarno. Why did you join them, was it for the gold or are you just as greedy and power hungry? If you have any honor in you, then you should forget the Genoans and join my forces. The Austrians fight in this war to help the Venetians and the rest of Italy. We can assure you that you do not want the Genoans to win; without the Venetians to divert their attention, how long do you suppose to it will be before they invade your country? If you do not heed my warnings, then I am afraid you will lose all that you care at the hands of the backstabbing Genoans. Please accept my formal pardons and leave the Genoans and join my righteous cause against the enemies of Christendom.

Ferdinand I
    Archduke of Austria

Alright! I'm finally done so that above is going to be the final version and I will send in my orders either tomorrow or the 12th although I've already hinted at some of my decisions already in my speech.

Wait a minute, I almost forgot...At the moment I think I will buy 5% of the Royal Saxony Company
    Last edited by Ayachuco; 01-11-2008 at 06:02.
    Through the ages every weapon has evolved from two basic design philosophies, either a rock or a sharp pointy stick.

"We're not Communists, we're not pinko... we can't be, 'cause you pay to come and see us and we sell t-shirts at our gigs". Cedric Bixler-Zavala of At the Drive-In
    “I grew an afro. Not only did it make me cool, but it did wonders for my career. Oh, and I can get chicks now, too.” Omar Rodriguez-Lopez

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Motep, check the end of Chapter IV, you will find I have added in your orders and a map. PM me if you need more. Icihgo, your map is being drawn and sent to you now.

I have explained to Motep and Draco Leman by PM of the issue of Holy ROman Emperor and other historical points. THank you for explaining though kamikhaan.
    I'm still waiting for the map, then I'll send you my orders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

A Open Message from Genoa:
    The people of Genoa feel they are the winners i this war, and would not want to end. But we can not sacrafice good Genoan lives, but do not agree to the Emperor's Treaty. Genoa demands that we are given at least one province for the sacrafices made by our troops.
    Signed by,
    A Long list of signatures

@Icihgo, Map sent.
    @Draco Leman, Whoa! Another good speech, good work!

I am still waiting for orders from a LOT of people. I've received orders from Catholic Ireland and Scotland (Coincidence; they're right next to eachother geographiclly.) And I've basiclly received orders from Austria.

Hurry, one more day left and I am very strict on deadlines. Don't get it in and things don't go your way in the CHapter.
    EDIT: Uh, good, a lot more are in now. I only require:
    Teutonic Order
    Russia
    African Alliance
    Bavaria
    Last edited by Baby Boomer; 01-12-2008 at 03:26.

A Message to the Genoans
    You say that you cannot end this war without having compensation of sorts. You also say that you want a province so that the sacrifices of your men would not have been in vain. Well, why can you not accept the Holy Roman Emperor's peace conditions? It clearly states in the third sentence that YOU, I would be able to presume that you are the Genoans, will be able to have any province in West Venice to your choosing. Or are you pretending to accept peace to attack someone else?

Ferdinand I
    Archduke of Austria

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

A Open Message from Genoa:
    The people of Genoa feel they are the winners i this war, and would not want to end. But we can not sacrafice good Genoan lives, but do not agree to the Emperor's Treaty. Genoa demands that we are given at least one province for the sacrafices made by our troops.
    Signed by,
    A Long list of signatures

@Icihgo, Map sent.
    @Draco Leman, Whoa! Another good speech, good work!

I am still waiting for orders from a LOT of people. I've received orders from Catholic Ireland and Scotland (Coincidence; they're right next to eachother geographiclly.) And I've basiclly received orders from Austria.

Hurry, one more day left and I am very strict on deadlines. Don't get it in and things don't go your way in the CHapter.
    EDIT: Uh, good, a lot more are in now. I only require:
    Teutonic Order
    Russia
    African Alliance
    Bavaria
    I'll send you mine tonight (8-10) hours from now, if that's okay.

Nascent Veteran Member Tiberius of the Drake's Avatar

srry min ewill be in by 11 EST tonight.

EDIT:EST means Eastern Standard time (US) I hate timezones.
    Last edited by Tiberius of the Drake; 01-13-2008 at 01:30.
    "Something can be done, by careful analysis, to sort out truth from propaganda and legend. But this is where the real difficulties begin, since each student inevitably selects, constitutes criteria, according to his own unconscious assumptions, social, ethical or political. Moral conditioning, in the widest sense, plays a far greater part in the matter than most people- especially the historians themselves-ever realize."
    -Peter Green

Chapter IV
    [I][FONT="Arial Narrow"]
    In Croatia though, a strong 50 000 Turkish army advances over the border and heads for Zagreb, while the Sultan agrees with a attack on the Knights in Rhodes, and a task force is raised, 30 000 strong, who are transported across the ocean and reach the small island of Rhodes. The part closer to Turkey is taken, but the lower half of the island puts up a strong defense involving Italian mercenaries. After losing 10 000 in 2 weeks, and only 2 000 of theirs, the General gives up and he personally heads to Constantinople, where he is beheaded as customary of the Guards. They did it not on the order of the Sultan. When news of the Defense of Rhodes reaches Europe, the previously promised support of civilians in Zagreb is lost, as they stand up and declare themselves for Genoa, as does the surrounding provinces, and most of Croatia. This is received with surprise by the Turkish Army who all the same, siege Zagreb. The City musters some 8 000 soldiers and hope to repeat Rhodes. Further south in Greece though, a Sicilian navy wanders around the ports there and even start to threaten the Greek shores.
    This message serves as notice to those powers which would oppose the religion of Christ the King.

~ I, Albert V, Herzog of Bavaria, condemn the actions of the infidel Ottoman Empire, which seeks to subjegate our Balkan and Hungarian bretheren. ~

OC: Sorry I haven't been extraordinarily active of late - I'm going through a job change and grad. school is starting back up. As soon as I get back into the groove of things this week, I should become more active on the IH.
    Last edited by King Jan III Sobieski; 01-13-2008 at 19:35. Reason: wanted to add an OC

Blog Entries

Everyone's orders in?

Sent mine in last night

Most orders are in. The deadline though is being extended by One Day to several reasons, regarding Players. I might put all Nations not taken into the UnPlayable section now; I think 10 Players is a limit.

Baby Boomer, you haven't answered my last PM. Bah just ignore it, I'm slowing down the game so I hope I can take care of it next turn.

Ichigo, you haven't answered my PM either...

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast