Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am Legend

Default I am Legend

Has anyone see this movie?

I saw it last night, and thought it was pretty entertaining. The scenery in New York City was amazing. It was pretty interesting to see what it would look like abandoned for about three years.

I really liked the first half of the movie. You had no idea what the creatures looked like and the first encounter with them made me literally jump out of seat several times.

The second half was a bit meh. I don't think they did a great job at finishing the movie. It kind of appears like they ran out of time. However, it was still very entertaining and fun to watch.

Overall I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10, and I would recommend it to anyone who can tolerate it.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: I am Legend

The book rocks six kinds of "Oh yeah!" It's a classic. And its ending is perfect, although probably too dark for Hollywood. No doubt they changed it. I may have to skip this one, since I hate to see great books mutilated on the screen.

Didja know this is the third attempt to make this book into a movie? And the first one to bear the same title as the book? The previous versions were Last Man on Earth and Omega Man.

They tried to "improve" on the ending as well. Idiots.

-edit-

I wonder if I Am Legend will go down in history as having as many bad film versions as The Island of Doctor Moreau?
    Last edited by Lemur; 12-15-2007 at 20:09.

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

You took the words right out of my keyboard, Lemur. The book is indeed a classic.

Mind you, I found The Omega Man to be reasonable fun, and quite dark until the silly ending.

I would hope that this new film is not subject to the same saccharine hatchet job inflicted a few years ago on Matheson's other magnum opus, "What Dreams May Come". Do not watch that movie under pain of psychological trauma, but it's an interesting book.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I saw it. I thought it was pretty well done for the most part, and indeed, I bet I can guess which part(s) made Ice jump outta his seat, because I know I did at a couple moments. Also, that dog was pretty sweet, that's the kind of dog about any man could ever wish for. The end? Yeah, could've been better, but it wasn't bad by any means, at least in my opinion. Then again, I haven't read the book, and I wouldn't be all that surprised if the book at least ends better. Most books are usually better than their film counter part, in my opinion. Also, I very much liked the oh-so appropriate times when Shrek was on the TV, I liked that quite a bit.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Quote Originally Posted by kamikhaan
    I saw it. I thought it was pretty well done for the most part, and indeed, I bet I can guess which part(s) made Ice jump outta his seat, because I know I did at a couple moments. Also, that dog was pretty sweet, that's the kind of dog about any man could ever wish for. The end? Yeah, could've been better, but it wasn't bad by any means, at least in my opinion. Then again, I haven't read the book, and I wouldn't be all that surprised if the book at least ends better. Most books are usually better than their film counter part, in my opinion. Also, I very much liked the oh-so appropriate times when Shrek was on the TV, I liked that quite a bit.
    I wikied the book and apparently it is extremely different than the movie.

It makes sense why the title is "I am Legend" if you would read it.

Yes you are, Ice! (sorry, haven't seen the movie )

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar
    Yes you are, Ice! (sorry, haven't seen the movie )
    Check out the trailer.

http://iamlegend.warnerbros.com/

Ah, I think I've seen a very early trailer of this one but what the heck is an african lion doing in New York City?

Blog Entries

I assumed that it/they had broken out of the zoo after, well, I won't say. After the event.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Seeing that trailer, it reminds me of I, Robot: it has Will Smith, he wakes up, he works out, he lives in a small house, he walks in that typical fashion, wears a black coat, it's called I Am Legend, he talks with an animal (a dog, in IR a cat), it's dramatic and grand, and so on. So I think you know what I have to say about. He's a schmuck playing in a schmuck movie!

Alright alright... so he was good in I, Robot, (and IR itself was decent) but in this one too? Looks more like he's playing the same kind of role which wouldn't impress me if true because I've already seen that kind of role played by him (which doesn't necessarily make it worse).

The concept of the movie itself seems nice so I'll probably check it out anyway. At some point I was reminded of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and its cruel nature. Also, the music in the trailer is nice, though the trailer itself was too longwinded and reasonably boring. Still this is a new movie I would rather check than most others which I hardly even pay attention to.

Now someone tell me: on a critical scale of 0 to 10, what is the appropriate grade? Can it reasonably compete with, and defeat, classics?
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

It's one of those cases where I think a decent film would be a lot better with a far better actor. Will Smith? I seriously doubt he can carry this kind of role, and at least think others could have been superior.

As for I, Robot, even the relevance to the books notwithstanding, I think it was one of the worst films I've ever seen.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Quote Originally Posted by Bijo
    Can it reasonably compete with, and defeat, classics?
    If you're interested in classics, go see No Country for Old Men. I seriously doubt any other film this year will be in the same league.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Ah, I think I've seen a very early trailer of this one but what the heck is an african lion doing in New York City?
    Was there? I didn't get a good look at it(was only there briefly), but I assumed it was a mountain lion. The idea being that, slowly, the city was returning to nature.

I saw the movie and, simply put, it was good but not great.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

I think it's plausible. Considering that the zoos would be open and free, along with weather, it could allow a new species of lion roam the concrete jungle.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Murat
    I think it's plausible. Considering that the zoos would be open and free, along with weather, it could allow a new species of lion roam the concrete jungle.
    I didn't think that Zoos would open when all humans are gone, I'd rather expect the animals there to starve.
    Okay, it's a detail and probably not an important one but it seemed a bit weird to me(about as weird as an SR-71 blackbird on an aircraft carrier).

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

I didn't think that Zoos would open when all humans are gone, I'd rather expect the animals there to starve.
    Okay, it's a detail and probably not an important one but it seemed a bit weird to me(about as weird as an SR-71 blackbird on an aircraft carrier).
    Actually that movie is set in NYC right? Then the SR-71 Blackbird was probably on the deck of an aircraft carrier turned museum that sits in the harbor with a variety of carrier and non-carrier related aircraft such as an SR-71 Blackbird. I believe the ship is the USS Intrepid and I went there on a trip with my 11 AP US History class so it definitely is there.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

They tried to "improve" on the ending as well. Idiots
    What, the ending that is one of the all time great endings of all time?

I think I'll be sticking with the book, then.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey S
    It's one of those cases where I think a decent film would be a lot better with a far better actor. Will Smith? I seriously doubt he can carry this kind of role, and at least think others could have been superior.

As for I, Robot, even the relevance to the books notwithstanding, I think it was one of the worst films I've ever seen.
    Oh come on, it was a decent movie for its kind. Not necessarily that good, but not awful. Whom do you think would fit the role in I, Robot better than WS? And whom do you think would fit the role better in I am Legend?

---

No.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Uesugi Kenshin
    Actually that movie is set in NYC right? Then the SR-71 Blackbird was probably on the deck of an aircraft carrier turned museum that sits in the harbor with a variety of carrier and non-carrier related aircraft such as an SR-71 Blackbird. I believe the ship is the USS Intrepid and I went there on a trip with my 11 AP US History class so it definitely is there.
    Bolding by me, you are correct its the intrepid.
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

Quote Originally Posted by Uesugi Kenshin
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    Bolding by me, you are correct its the intrepid.
    Ah, now that's something cool to remember for when I visit NYC one day.

Ah, now that's something cool to remember for when I visit NYC one day.
    After a lot of thought and my admission that you are in fact my favorite poster from6:45am to 6:53am ( a recent 4 minute increase) I formally withdraw my prior stated position of wishing you to not visit the U.S.

Enjoy your stay.
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

Oh come on, it was a decent movie for its kind. Not necessarily that good, but not awful. Whom do you think would fit the role in I, Robot better than WS? And whom do you think would fit the role better in I am Legend?
    And it's kind of movie is what, exactly? The action was dull, special effects atrocious, supposed depth thrown overboard when it didn't suit the writers, plot utterly unimaginative, and the acting wooden. I'm perfectly happy seeing Will Smith in Men in Black, and I'll certainly admit that I enjoyed Enemy of the State or Independence Day. But he is entirely incapable of carrying a serious film with his acting in a lead role without a strong second main character or very tight direction and writing; and indeed such actors are rare.

I, Robot I believe was flawed from the start; I've yet to see I Am Legend, but going on the trailer I'd say it's a film that could be okay but needs a better actor than Smith to prevent tedium. From what I've heard, maybe not even that.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Haven't seen the film yet, but I'd hesitate to blame its flaws on the actor. I suspect the writers are at fault. If it ain't on the page, it ain't on the stage.

I'll grant it that. It's probably the kind of middling movie which the lead can make (such as Depp in Pirates) or break.

Some people are really critical of actors, as long as it's not a soap opera I usually don't notice any difference in the acting.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey S
    And it's kind of movie is what, exactly? The action was dull, special effects atrocious, supposed depth thrown overboard when it didn't suit the writers, plot utterly unimaginative, and the acting wooden. I'm perfectly happy seeing Will Smith in Men in Black, and I'll certainly admit that I enjoyed Enemy of the State or Independence Day. But he is entirely incapable of carrying a serious film with his acting in a lead role without a strong second main character or very tight direction and writing; and indeed such actors are rare.
    He did a wonderful role in The Pursuit of Happiness, so I'd say he is definately capable of carrying a serious film with his acting.
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

Something I found funny

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The mutated men could scale a 20 story apartment building and humans last outpost was a mere 10 foot wall and somehow it protected them
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

Blog Entries

Is that in the book, or the movie, CR?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Because those walls at the outpost in the movie sure seemed like a lot more than 20 feet to me, or perhaps my memories getting a tad fuzzy. Plus, I believe they did have guards posted as well.

Will Smith may not be superior to certain others, but he is decent for an actor these days. By the way, Geoff, you didn't really answer my questions :P

Whom do you think would fit the role in I, Robot better than WS? And whom do you think would fit the role better in I am Legend?

---

No.

---

Quote Originally Posted by AggonyDuck
    He did a wonderful role in The Pursuit of Happiness, so I'd say he is definately capable of carrying a serious film with his acting.
    Fair point; that's a movie I've yet to see.
    Will Smith may not be superior to certain others, but he is decent for an actor these days. By the way, Geoff, you didn't really answer my questions :P
    It's a big question, and there are a lot of actors. As with so many films I think the branding of the title with a big star damages the quality of the film, and a relatively unknown actor is more suitable. 28 Days Later springs to mind.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast