Thread: Princesses

Default Princesses

Does anyone know a way of getting decent looking princesses?
    I always seem to get the ones with those weird things on their heads!
    I like all my generals and princesses to look good (bit of OCD lol), and I think that the blonde haired (like Cecilia of England) or the brown haired (like Teresa and Urraca of Spain) look the best, and was wondering if anyone knew a way or a mod that meant you could only get those ones.

Beware! Relentless Looter! Member Flavius Merobaudes's Avatar

Default Re: Princesses

I don't know if this works, but you could try to copy the TGAs you don't like to another folder and delete them in the original one. Warning! I don't know if this is crash-proof. The path would be ...\data\ui\southern_european\portraits\portraits\young\princesses

how do you get into the data/ui/southern-european etc?
    is it through program files?
    Sorry, I'm not very good with things like this, and thanks for your reply!

Beware! Relentless Looter! Member Flavius Merobaudes's Avatar

It's in your Medieval 2 folder. Probably C:\Programs\Medieval 2 Total War\data...
    Did you run the unpacker? It's a must before you can modify the game.
    Last edited by Flavius Merobaudes; 12-19-2007 at 21:38.

What's an unpacker?
    Sorry, I'm really dumb when it comes to these things
    And I've looked in the Medieval 2 folder in Program Files/SEGA/Medieval 2, and there's a data folder, but there isn't anything called 'ui'.

Thanks again

There's no ui folder in the data section of the Medieval 2 folder, so i don't know. But thanks anyways!

The unpacker is a tool included in the game (patch 1.1 i believe). Most of the data files (unit stats, skins, building stats, graphics etc) are compressed into files called data01.pack, data02.pack and so on, you must unpack them in order to be able to see the contents and modify them. To do so, look in tools/unpacker. VERY IMPORTANT: Read the readme in the unpacker folder first!. Then run unpack_all.bat (it takes a while, be patient). You must read the readme because it tells you about some files you must delete after unpacking or the game will crash during battles. Beyond that I'm not sure exactly how to go about modifying things, i've only ever looked at the files out of curiosity.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Errrr why should be unpack everything if he only wants to change princesses?

In essence, your post is somewhat correct though. The unpacker is provided in both 1.1 and 1.2 patch. When unpacking, use this as the target line for the unpacker:
    Code:
    C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval 2\tools\unpacker\unpacker.exe --source=c:\program files\sega\medieval 2\packs\*.pack --destination=c:\program files\sega\medieval 2\tools\unpacker\ --filter=*.tga
    This is based on the assumption of your post where you said your folder is
    Quote Originally Posted by fox2190
    Program Files/SEGA/Medieval 2
    If it varies from that, change the code I posted accordingly.

This code will unpack all tga files, which are of course more than you need, but a lot less than unpacking every file there is!!!
    You can just delete the folders you don't want then.

The princess portraits are found in data\ui\CULTURE\portraits\portraits\young\princesses\
    Where CULTURE is the culture type (northern_european, southern_european)

You can move that particular folder line over to your main data folder and then edit the portraits using any photo editing program to your liking.

Once done, use io.file_first to run your game.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Quote Originally Posted by fox2190
    Does anyone know a way of getting decent looking princesses?
    I always seem to get the ones with those weird things on their heads!

Stop to be picky! You were in for the money and the power, not for the look! Just turn off the light!

Annie
    AggonyJade of the Brotherhood of Aggony, [FF]ladyAn or [FF]Jade of the Freedom Fighters