Thread: Imperium Julianorum Discussion

Member Member julianus heraclius's Avatar

Default Imperium Julianorum Discussion

Welcome all,

This post is designed for all things on IJ and Julian himself. Please feel free to ask any questions or post any thoughts. Anything in relation to CTD's and errors please post these as separate postings.

Cheers

Default Re: Imperium Julianorum Discussion

Just a couple of thoughts:

The concept is brilliant--its what BI should have been. You went into great detail to show the complexity of the late imperial armies.

The economy is as bad as it was in BI. I've played the provincial scenario and went into massive debt right off even after disbanding all unneeded army units. Too many of the cities have no economic power..No ports, sanitary facilities, farms, markets..even after being under Roman rule for 300+years. I had no money to build or even repair even after 10 turns. The only saving grace was losing units in battle with the franks and alamanni. My reading of various histories of this time period was that the economy was sound. It was Julian's army that was in bad shape as Constantius kept calling for reinforcements for his Persian war and most of his generals were Constantius's men. If your intent was to try for a historically accurate simulation then some rebalancing is needed in the economic modeling. I'm not saying that the west was an economic powerhouse but it was able to support an army of over 200,000 men right up until the end.

Have you considered a scenario about Constantine and his conquest of the empire?

I appreciate all the hard work you folks have done on this mod. Like I said in the beginning its what BI should have been in the first place.

Thanks

Just a note on some bugs

I get random ctd's whenever i try to go to the battle screen or advance the turn. They are not game killers as I've saved on every turn.

Carthago Nova's buildings seem odd. Their atributes are different from the other cities.

Should'nt the capital of the west be Trier or Arleste or even the city where Julian starts from?(provincial campaign).

Quote Originally Posted by jtareb
    Just a note on some bugs

I get random ctd's whenever i try to go to the battle screen or advance the turn. They are not game killers as I've saved on every turn.

Carthago Nova's buildings seem odd. Their atributes are different from the other cities.

Should'nt the capital of the west be Trier or Arleste or even the city where Julian starts from?(provincial campaign).
    Have you loaded the IJV2.01a patch?

Yep--i stiil get the ctd's. It happens whenever I push a button like change turn or go to the battle screen. It does not happen during the game.

You mention that the player should play with manage all cities off--does it affect game play if you dont?

BTW I can play IBFD fine

Yep--i stiil get the ctd's. It happens whenever I push a button like change turn or go to the battle screen. It does not happen during the game.
    OK, you need to delete the quotes.txt file in the text folder and the descr_transition_screen.txt file.

Sometimes these "quotes" files cause CTD's.

You mention that the player should play with manage all cities off--does it affect game play if you dont?
    No it doesn't.

PS, I'm currently working on IJV3.0 which will include multiple temple system so you can build more than one type of religious building/temple at a time. The religious factions will include:
    Arian Christian, Buddhist, Mani, Jewish, various Pagan, for many factions.

Cheers

wow this mod is great an a v.3 would be great cheers + rep to you bro.

is th ere playable

Combustion Member beatoangelico's Avatar

the eastern roman empire? not exactly, but something similar

The division of the empire became permanent only in 395 AD, and the mod starts before that date. But with the provincial campaign starting in 355 AD you could play Constantius II's empire, that in addition to the "traditional" ERE territories hold also Italy and Africa. See this map

ok thanks but is it playable in the original mod that starts in 410

Quote Originally Posted by Belisarius12
    ok thanks but is it playable in the original mod that starts in 410
    yes of course

ok thanks and one last question does it end in 600

Quote Originally Posted by Belisarius12
    ok thanks and one last question does it end in 600
    yes, it ends exactly in 600 AD

What would be the differences (I know they're two seperate mods) but what would be the differences between the starting dates of Invasio Barbarorum and IJ? Are they around the same time, but just two different mods?
    Eras Total Conquest, your Eras TW for Kingdoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Wladyslaw IV
    What would be the differences (I know they're two seperate mods) but what would be the differences between the starting dates of Invasio Barbarorum and IJ? Are they around the same time, but just two different mods?
    Invasio Barbarorum (IBFD) starts in 410 AD
    IJ starts in 361 (main campaign) or 355 (provincial campaign)

may seem a slight difference but it's a quite big one actually. In 410 the western empire is in a critical situation: Britannia has been abadoned to itsefl, Gaul is under the usurper Constantine III and ravaged by barbarians, the Gothic horde is about to sack Rome and Iberia has been lost to the Vandals. In 361 the Empire is still unified under the last pagan emperor Julian the Apostate (but the game is challenging the same, perhaps more).
    Of course there are also a lot of other differences.
    Last edited by beatoangelico; 05-29-2008 at 01:00.

Quote Originally Posted by beatoangelico
    Invasio Barbarorum (IBFD) starts in 410 AD
    IJ starts in 361 (main campaign) or 355 (provincial campaign)

may seem a slight difference but it's a quite big one actually. In 410 the western empire is in a critical situation: Britannia has been abadoned to itsefl, Gaul is under the usurper Constantine III and ravaged by barbarians, the Gothic horde is about to sack Rome and Iberia has been lost to the Vandals. In 361 the Empire is still unified under the last pagan emperor Julian the Apostate (but the game is challenging the same, perhaps more).
    Of course there are also a lot of other differences.

OK, sounds good.
    Eras Total Conquest, your Eras TW for Kingdoms.

Hello there, I am doing my best to try this promising mod, but it doesn't work, no matter how hard I try. I installed patch 3.0. When I try to play julian's faction in any of the three campaigns, the game doesn't even start; if I select constatius, the game works until I set the screen on Gaul (then it instantly crashes). If i play a barbarian faction, it works properly. Any suggestion? All kind of advice would be appreciated