Thread: Didn't want to do this: Reform Question

Default Didn't want to do this: Reform Question

It's autumn, 273BC and I'm all set to get the Marian reforms, and boy do I need them. I'm in a two front war with the giant and powerful Seleukid empire and the Getai keep attacking me. I have 50 provinces now, Latifundia in every province in Italy save for the two most northern (Gallic) ones. As you would expect, my count of battles is in the 4-500 region, and I have a decent candidate for 'Marius'.

Atilius Balbus has 3 command stars and is faction leader. So his influence is maxed out. He is a popularis and was consul 4 years ago.

But he has not got the reformator trait. Does this only kick in after 272BC now, or could there be a hidden trait blocking his reforming intentions?

Default Re: Didn't want to do this: Reform Question

Did you mean 172?

And IIRC, the trait kicks in after the reform fires, not before. So you don't need to get the trait to get the reform, they are one and the same.

Yes, 172. Too used to the 3rd century.

That's good if the reforms and the trait are one and the same. I just seem to remember people reporting having the reformator trait long before they could get the reforms. But that could just be previous versions of EB.

Perhaps I can get my legions to Mytilene before the Grey Death gets his next walking forest to the gates after all!

You can double check in the EBBS_SCRIPT.txt in your EB\Data\scripts\show_me folder. The marian reforms section will detail specifically all the exact requirements. Mine is heavily modded so any information I could give you from my copy would be suspect.

*cough*

Have you ehm...activated the script? You do strike me as the type that does that, though :p
    This space intentionally left blank.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hax
    *cough*

Have you ehm...activated the script? You do strike me as the type that does that, though :p
    Why, just because he actually played a game to 172?
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Hey, I'm just saying! :p
    This space intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnj
    Did you mean 172?

And IIRC, the trait kicks in after the reform fires, not before. So you don't need to get the trait to get the reform, they are one and the same.
    I don't think it does you know. This is the line of script describing how to check for a 'Marius.'

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    end_monitor

;Check for Marius wanabe
    monitor_event CharacterTurnStart Trait Reformator > 0

set_counter ReformatorCounter 1

end_monitor