Thread: Friesland

Default Friesland

I've been slowly slaying brain-cells over the past couple of days trying to understand politics in 14th-15th century Friesland. How significant were the clans? Which were dominant? Were cities autonimous? What was the exact nature of the "monastic" civil war? Were there any political ties between Friesland and East Frisia in this period? I can't seem to find satisfactory answers elsewhere, so I figured I'd ask in here, before giving up on it completely. I'm intending to make a small modification for EU III, focused on expanding the Friesland experience, y'see.
    When Adam delved and Eve span, Who was then the gentleman? From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. For if God would have had any bondsmen from the beginning, he would have appointed who should be bound, and who free. And therefore I exhort you to consider that now the time is come, appointed to us by God, in which ye may (if ye will) cast off the yoke of bondage, and recover liberty. - John Ball

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Friesland

Kingdom used to stretch untill Denmark, was a seperate kingdom like all dutch provinces. The 'civil war' happened because the duke who was supposed to rule the entire place had only juristiction of the western part and it broke up. What remained was later added to the kingdom of the netherlands after a few small wars.