Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Empire Strikes Back: Britain Defeats Uppity American Colonials

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default The Empire Strikes Back: Britain Defeats Uppity American Colonials

Britons 'richer than Americans'

The average UK person will this year have a greater income than their US counterpart for the first time since the 19th Century, figures suggest.
    Analyst Oxford Economics said the UK's GDP per head of population will reach £23,500 - £250 higher than in the US. However, because goods and services are cheaper in the US, Americans will have stronger purchasing power, it added.

UK GDP per capita will also be higher than in Germany (£21,665) and France (£21,700), Oxford Economics calculated. Managing director Adrian Cooper said: "The last 15 years have seen a dramatic change in the UK's economic performance and its position in the world economy.

"No longer are we the 'sick man of Europe'."

Oxford Economics said that in 1993, following the last major recession and the UK's ejection from the ERM, GDP per capita in the UK was 34% lower than in the US, 33% lower than in Germany and 26% lower than in France.

It said the improved UK position reflected the sustained strong growth it has enjoyed since then and the recent strength of sterling. Mr Cooper said: "The UK has been catching up steadily with living standards in the US since 2001, so it is a well-established trend rather than simply the result of currency fluctuations."
    I thought this rather historic news. I'm too lazy to check, but I think this is the first time since the 19th century that any big European economy has a higher GDP per capita than the US. France and Germany are not far behind either and could follow soon.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Default Re: The Empire Strikes Back: Britain Defeats Uppity American Colonials

The only way to repair the status-quo is to immediately increase taxes on those filthy-rich petit-bourgeoises!
    Therapy helps, but screaming obscenities is cheaper.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

So...

Can ya lend me a fiver 'til payday?
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

The superiority of europeans never ceases to amaze me, that and thier willingness to let anyone know who will listen.
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    I thought this rather historic news. I'm too lazy to check, but I think this is the first time since the 19th century that any big European economy has a higher GDP per capita than the US.
    not true
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Per_capita_income

Switzerland has a big economy

but yea - this is big news

Can't win em ALL
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 01-07-2008 at 15:20.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    The superiority of europeans never ceases to amaze me, that and thier willingness to let anyone know who will listen.
    For the nth time, the British are not europeans. Ever heard the phrase 'Fog in the Channel, Europe cut off'.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache
    For the nth time, the British are not europeans. Ever heard the phrase 'Fog in the Channel, Europe cut off'.
    Sure you are, every dam one of you. My brother in law is British and every other weekend I get to hear him rail on about the wonders of the european lifestyle, odd he chose to life here. Something about his ability to make money and pay less taxes but I digress...

Not to mention he always mentions some crap about Kevin Peiterson having the potential to be the best batsman of all time. The cricket talk is really inspiring, I always encourage him to go home and enjoy his culture and leave us to our crumbling mess, he wont go.
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

I for one welcome our renewed British overlords.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Would you like ketchup to go with that chip on your shoulder, Odin?

Looking out of the window, I ask; wha'? So a couple of fellows are a few quids up on their trans-Atlantic counterparts? Big deal. It makes sod all difference. As the article said, things are considerably cheaper over there, and I don't believe they pay quite as much tax as we do in the UK.
    Last edited by Justiciar; 01-07-2008 at 17:22.
    When Adam delved and Eve span, Who was then the gentleman? From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. For if God would have had any bondsmen from the beginning, he would have appointed who should be bound, and who free. And therefore I exhort you to consider that now the time is come, appointed to us by God, in which ye may (if ye will) cast off the yoke of bondage, and recover liberty. - John Ball

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justiciar
    Would you like some fish to go with that chip on your shoulder, Odin?
    Better

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Well spotted, sir!
    When Adam delved and Eve span, Who was then the gentleman? From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. For if God would have had any bondsmen from the beginning, he would have appointed who should be bound, and who free. And therefore I exhort you to consider that now the time is come, appointed to us by God, in which ye may (if ye will) cast off the yoke of bondage, and recover liberty. - John Ball

Quote Originally Posted by Justiciar
    Would you like ketchup to go with that chip on your shoulder, Odin?

Looking out of the window, I ask; wha'? So a couple of fellows are a few quids up on their trans-Atlantic counterparts? Big deal. It makes sod all difference. As the article said, things are considerably cheaper over there, and I don't believe they pay quite as much tax as we do in the UK.

case and point.

Sua Sponte

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

How about cranking in comparative tax burden and seeing who actually has the most chink to spread about?
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Am I wrong? The italics, man. The italics. I don't claim to know, it's just the impression I was under.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

It's long past time we declared war on Great Britain. This is the final provocation!

Not to mention he always mentions some crap about Kevin Peiterson having the potential to be the best batsman of all time. The cricket talk is really inspiring, I always encourage him to go home and enjoy his culture and leave us to our crumbling mess, he wont go.
    You see this is where you're argument falls down. No self-respecting european would talk at any lenth about cricket. They'd rather have smouldering cocktail sticks stuck into their eyes.

There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    It's long past time we declared war on Great Britain. This is the final provocation!
    Just try it chum! The Whitehouse could do with a new lick of paint.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache
    You see this is where you're argument falls down. No self-respecting european would talk at any lenth about cricket. They'd rather have smouldering cocktail sticks stuck into their eyes.

Well I never said I was right, but how could I let an opportunity like this just go by without attempting to poke a stick in someone else's pride?

We americans love to do that to IA.

Sua Sponte

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Isn't this just a side effect of the fall of the dollar?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone
    Isn't this just a side effect of the fall of the dollar?
    SSSSHHHHHHHH you dont want them to start thinking that thier fortune is directly attributed somehow to the american currency.

Imagine the ego blow?

Sua Sponte

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

I say we deliver an ultimatum to those shifty British people: Give us the Isle of Man as a permanent military base, plus maybe a copyright to the print and broadcast image of the white cliffs of Dover, and maybe, maybe we won't invade.

I say we deliver an ultimatum to those shifty British people: Give us the Isle of Man as a permanent military base, plus maybe a copyright to the print and broadcast image of the white cliffs of Dover, and maybe, maybe we won't invade.
    You can have Man, just as long as you take Stoke Newington and Hackney in London, also Middlebrough and Gillingham.

We'd swap them for Malibu beach.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Can we have New York? Isn't like they are using it

http://www.giveusbacknewyork.com/

Isn't that a bit like asking to use Germany as a military base?

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Down with dried flowers!

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

THird time may not be a charm....

#1 -- win! Start new country etc. Did need a bit of help.

#2 -- draw. Sure we had the best victory of the war...after it ended. But D.C. was trashed and our shppping economy landlocked by blockade.

#3 -- you see the direction of this trend don't you?

Side note: Every time we go to war with England, somebody here gets the bright idea to invade Canada. We then invade and lose. This time, given the expansive Canadian military, that would be REALLY embarrassing.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

You see, Seamus Fermanagh has it.

When will you Yanks learn?

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : The Empire Strikes Back: Britain Defeats Uppity American Colonials

Ah...succes! Irritation and friction! About time we had ourselves a good transatlantic tussle. Too much cuddling up lately.

I, for one, welcome my new American underlings. And I congratulate Britain for her splendid victory.*

*When they lose, they are British. When they win, they are Europeans.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Cool Re: The Empire Strikes Back: Britain Defeats Uppity American Colonials

. My brother in law is British and every other weekend I get to hear him rail on about the wonders of the european lifestyle, odd he chose to life here. Something about his ability to make money and pay less taxes but I digress...
    Quote Originally Posted by Article
    However, because goods and services are cheaper in the US, Americans will have stronger purchasing power, it added.
    SSSSHHHHHHHH you dont want them to start thinking that thier fortune is directly attributed somehow to the american currency.

Imagine the ego blow?
    Quote Originally Posted by Article
    It said the improved UK position reflected the sustained strong growth it has enjoyed since then and the recent strength of sterling. Mr Cooper said: "The UK has been catching up steadily with living standards in the US since 2001, so it is a well-established trend rather than simply the result of currency fluctuations."
    My apologies I know reading is such a bore. Generally I find attacks on others, particularly unfounded and unmerited ones, reflect far more on the attacker and their fears then the reality of what is happening with those under assault. Why can ones id and identity become so wrapped up in the material position of ones GDP. Quite cute that someone becomes so curt over the poll position on an economic index. Never really got off on economic indicators, they are so not indicative of actual lifestyle accomplishments.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio
    My apologies I know reading is such a bore. Generally I find attacks on others, particularly unfounded and unmerited ones, reflect far more on the attacker and their fears then the reality of what is happening with those under assault.
    ATTACK!!!

Hey, it was the French plan in the opening days of WW I so don't knock it.

Down with dried flowers!

It's about time we strengthen our military economy again, that will increase our GDP a lot and get rid of the high unemployment rate.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast