Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scientology

Default Scientology

I Wanna do my American history paper on the guy that wrote the biggest growing 50 yearold religion

Lafayette Ronald Hubbard

I need books all on Scientology where I can get them and how i can get them so i can start studying as fast as a I can.

No I'm not a religious nut, personally I love religion as a good series of fictional writings.
    Last edited by Veho Nex; 01-08-2008 at 06:43.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Default Re: Scientology

So far I have these choices for books and I can't find them cheaper anywhere else so if any one can help all would be welcomed.

Scientology: A New Slant On Life- US $2.00
    What is Scientology?- US $4.00
    Scientology Handbook-US $19.98
    Way To Happiness- US $11.99
    Introduction to Scientology Ethics- US $3.00
    Scientology: The Fundamentals of Thought- US $4.50
    Dianetics the Original Thesis- US $14.99
    Dianetics: The evolution of science- US $0.50
    Dianetics Book and Extension Course- US $50.00
    Handbook of Preclears- US $16.00
    The problems of work- US $2.50

For a grand total of: US $129.46

or

Beginning Basics
    +
    What is Scientology?- US $4.00

For a grand total of US 151.98$

or

Scientology: A New Slant On Life- US $2.00
    Scientology: The Fundamentals of Thought- US $4.50
    Dianetics the Original Thesis- US $14.99

For a grand total of US $42.47
    All this not counting shipping.
    Last edited by Veho Nex; 01-08-2008 at 22:52.
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Questions:

- How old are you? Are you in a college class or in high school? What class is this for?

To me it seems spending 150$ for a single paper in a HS class is an absolute waste. Heck, I'd probably won't even spend that for a college class unless it's an obscure topic that I'm really interested in. The type where Uni libraries just don't carry the sources I need.

- How long will this paper be? What is your topic -- Scientology, or L. Ron Hubbard? Your list will likely prove almost useless in helping you write an objective biography of the latter, while it will only provide one angle of sources to the former.

- How about a trip to your local (large public or Uni) library? Quite frankly, the propaganda put forth by the "religion" is likely rather more-or-less useless to an objective, academic analysis of Scientology's history. No offense to anyone's religious sensibilities (or may be I meant offense, ha!), but you're apparently going to shell out a rather large sum of money for a bunch of bull excrement.
    Last edited by AntiochusIII; 01-08-2008 at 09:43.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

To the batcave er the backroom!
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio
    To the batcave er the backroom!
    I believe what you meant o say was...

To the Backroom and awayyyyyyyyy!
    Unto each good man a good dog

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Scientology

Jkarinen, can I deplore you to be careful? Your link, the people whom you are considering ordering those books from, is Scientology itself. I do not know how well you are familiar with them. Try to keep a firm distance from them. They are creepy.

They are a particularly nasty cult, with devious techniques to lure unsuspecting people into their wretched clutches. You may be harrassed once you have ordered books for a value of $150 from them. Selling these books is one of their ways to lure new victims.

I don't know you and I can't judge your judgement, so apologies if the above is already perfectly obvious to you and you already intend to keep a firm distance from them.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

You don't have to know a lot of the ideoligy if you really want to make a work about it's rise. It's much more interesting why so many people are interested in it. It's a cultural phenomenom not a religious one, I'd call it substitude for a lack of religion.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

I'll add my voice to those already present: there is no need for such an amount of literature at such a cost, and be aware of the cult-like nature of Scientology.

If you plan to write an essay, start off at the local library. There must be something there, and it is far easier after such a start to decide what you really need and what you don't. After that, be very specific in what you want to write about. If your subject is 'Scientology' it's going to be very hard to write something which is your own, or answer any interesting questions. Try narrowing it down, focusing on a particular impact area of Scientology, the portrayal of Scientology in the media, the methods used to gain more followers, etc... limit yourself to a particular area, and the work will be all the better for it.

Good luck!
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Default Re: Re : Scientology

Jkarinen, can I deplore you to be careful? Your link, the people whom you are considering ordering those books from, is Scientology itself. I do not know how well you are familiar with them. Try to keep a firm distance from them. They are creepy.

They are a particularly nasty cult, with devious techniques to lure unsuspecting people into their wretched clutches. You may be harrassed once you have ordered books for a value of $150 from them. Selling these books is one of their ways to lure new victims.

I don't know you and I can't judge your judgement, so apologies if the above is already perfectly obvious to you and you already intend to keep a firm distance from them.
    While it pains me to say this:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Louis is right

A family friend was intrested in scientology and just wanted to read up on it, she got caught up in a web of solicitation that was really quite awesome. She wasnt intrested in converting but be careful they are on the look out for recruits.
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

There is a real easy way to get rid of Scientologists. Bad mouth their crazy arse cult, and character assassinate old L. Ron (around other scientologists). As a tennante of their "religion" is to shun those who insult it. I know this from a documentary on Scientology and family experience. My brothers first girlfriend was from a scientologist family. He made the mistake of calling it "a crazy ing cult" (and refered to dianetics as brainwashing) in ear shot of her parents. She wasn't allowed to see him anymore after that. And it established his long habit of picking the wrong female, or screwing up with the good ones.
    Last edited by lars573; 01-08-2008 at 17:30.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

There's a good biography of L. Ron that I read years and years ago, that has since been sued out of existence. Thanks to the Interwebs, the full text is now available online. I recommend the book, especially since it's now free.

Here's the text.

Hail Xenu!

-edit-

Apparently you can still find the book used.
    Last edited by Lemur; 01-08-2008 at 17:26.

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Don't spend that money on this, try to borrow books from a library or rip stuff (i.e legal) from the net. 150 Dollars is a lot for a single paper. I think I spent like 250 on my WHOLE undergrad thesis (got an A anyway), over the period of approximately a year.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Well I own quite a few differents bibles. personally my self i dont believe that in a being where in the beginning there was nothing. and all religion to me is kooky, but if you read the bible it can be an entertaining series of short stories.

I would also like to buy a few of these books maybe not the whole set of dianetics and thetan levels but maybe just the broadest. This project is going to be my senior addition to my portfolio for highschool(I need to get an A on my portfolio or I will not have the grades to pass senior year)
    The project has to be on an american author who has done some type of revolutionary thing for their field and if you show me a different american author who has come up with a religion im all ears

I've had mormons witnesses and christians all try and recruit me for their religions and those have some history behind them but a 50 year old religion thought up by a science fiction writer isnt going to drag me under.

I also plan to have all the books delivered to my school under the guise of METRO school of arts and tech 1
    or something like that sort.

EDIT: Also I have checked my local and large libraries none carry any scientology books but they carry books written by L ron Hubbard
    Last edited by Veho Nex; 01-08-2008 at 22:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkarinen
    The project has to be on an american author who has done some type of revolutionary thing for their field and if you show me a different american author who has come up with a religion im all ears
    There might be an issue there which I would seek clarification with the person grading you. "American author who has done some type of revolutionary thing for their field." Some markers might state that you haven't answered the question by talking about revolution in religion when they wanted something about revolution in literature. If the question was "American Baptist who has done some type of revolutionary thing for their field" and then you wrote about one who was a revolutionary game designer and focused on his games you would lose marks. Its often a good idea to make sure what you are doing is within the scope of the question and not a sidebar.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Sorry its the way i worded it. I meant to state that: "It's a paper about an American/Americanized author that has done something other authors havn't."

I'm still probably not wording this right. In the end though i went over this with my teacher and he gave me the go ahead, as long as I can prove that it is a good enough subject, and i still don't know what my actual subject is going to be.

Also it's kind of cool to see so many people who care or atleast give a quick worry to wether or not if another orger becomes scientologist cult kook.

If I worded any of that right then it would make sense.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've had mormons witnesses and christians all try and recruit me for their religions and those have some history behind them but a 50 year old religion thought up by a science fiction writer isnt going to drag me under.
    That's because Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, etc, etc., are not brainwashing cults designed solely to take your money, like Scientology is.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Also i should say im poor as hell so atmost they would get is an IOU beyond my original purchasing of the books

So does the tithe make them 10% brainwashing cult?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit
    That's because Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, etc, etc., are not brainwashing cults designed solely to take your money, like Scientology is.

CR
    Now THAT is a matter of perpective.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

CR
    But you admit part of them are, right?
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Also i should say im poor as hell so atmost they would get is an IOU beyond my original purchasing of the books
    Just go to your local cult outpost and get whatever literature they'll give you for free. If they persist in being annoying, just get a little belligerent like lars said. Also, talk about Tom Cruise.

CR
    Thanks CR this is the 1st post in about 2 months that made me lol here at the org.

There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

EDIT: Also I have checked my local and large libraries none carry any scientology books but they carry books written by L ron Hubbard
    One other thing to check is whether they participate in any interlibrary loan programs. If they do, it doesn't matter so much whether they already have the texts in question. If you know what you're looking for, they should be able to find it for you--a whole lot cheaper than buying the whole mess.

Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Sinan
    Don't spend that money on this, try to borrow books from a library or rip stuff (i.e legal) from the net. 150 Dollars is a lot for a single paper. I think I spent like 250 on my WHOLE undergrad thesis (got an A anyway), over the period of approximately a year.
    what is your major
    Cruel and Cunning
    Utterly Insane
    Terribly Scarred

Sorry its the way i worded it. I meant to state that: "It's a paper about an American/Americanized author that has done something other authors havn't."

I'm still probably not wording this right. In the end though i went over this with my teacher and he gave me the go ahead, as long as I can prove that it is a good enough subject, and i still don't know what my actual subject is going to be.

Also it's kind of cool to see so many people who care or atleast give a quick worry to wether or not if another orger becomes scientologist cult kook.

If I worded any of that right then it would make sense.
    Dude your subject seems like it does not have to be about religion... Why don't you do Hemingway and his writing technique? His terse prose was quite unusual for his contemporaries. He and William Faulkner had this constant argument because of Hemingway's style. Hemingway is my favorite writer.

My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way. E.H.

Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words? He thinks I don't know the ten-dollar words. I know them all right. But there are older and simpler and better words, and those are the ones I use. E.H.

I think you should do Hemingway. I believe your teacher would be stunned as well but you should check this with him first.
    Cruel and Cunning
    Utterly Insane
    Terribly Scarred

Quote Originally Posted by Mete Han
    Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words? He thinks I don't know the ten-dollar words. I know them all right. But there are older and simpler and better words, and those are the ones I use. E.H.
    Aw, come on. At least William Faulkner wasn't an ass.

And I loved The Grapes of Wrath.

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AntiochusIII
    Aw, come on. At least William Faulkner wasn't an ass.

And I loved The Grapes of Wrath.
    . . . er, Grapes of Wrath was by Steinbeck.

Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxfetish
    . . . er, Grapes of Wrath was by Steinbeck.

Ajax
    I always confuse the two.

Still, my point stands. He wasn't an ass and Hemingway was one!

Quote Originally Posted by Mete Han
    Dude your subject seems like it does not have to be about religion... Why don't you do Hemingway and his writing technique? His terse prose was quite unusual for his contemporaries. He and William Faulkner had this constant argument because of Hemingway's style. Hemingway is my favorite writer.
    It's not so much the whole its not about religion. It's the whole i think religion is funny kind of thing and unless I'm interested in what I'm reading/writing about I can't get into it and i do horrid. So Scientology is funny, its written by an American, he's the only guy to actually start a religion for money, and It's interesting

Quote Originally Posted by AntiochusIII
    I always confuse the two.

Still, my point stands. He wasn't an ass and Hemingway was one!
    Compared to hemingway faulkner is lame in literature wise, imo. Did you read A Farewell to Arms? If you didn't I beg you to read it!!! Seriously I beg you nad everyone else who haven't read it!!!
    Cruel and Cunning
    Utterly Insane
    Terribly Scarred

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast