Thread: What are the "hard-core" modders modding??

Default What are the "hard-core" modders modding??

Hi all,

just wondering what, or better said, wich engine people are modding ...

my GF bought me Kingdoms knowing that I like the TW-games (she didnt know about me not buying it cause of the crappy CP, trying to make a statement .. :D) and I've been playing it a bit, tasted a bit of all 4 campaigns and am currenty 1/2-way into making Britain Irish ...
    I must admit the campaign part is great and allows much much much ... much much more than Rome or even M2 for that matter
    However I find that the battlemap AI is utterly retarted, they cant even charge properly, nor attack as a coherent unit (not even talking about armies!!)

Basicly I'm in doubt to make a great kingdoms based "grand campaign" of a relativly decent Rome campaign that can actually humiliate me on the field ... and hope that comment from the people that I respect for the work they do and help they give about what they mod in wich engine because of what motivation may help me make up my mind ....

Hope this isnt moved as I placed it here as here are the people that I (sort of) know and respect and hardly come anywhere else ...

Thanks in advance ;)

G

Axebitten Modder Senior Member Dol Guldur's Avatar

Default Re: What are the "hard-core" modders modding??

Hehe. This will probably get moved to the Mod Discussion.

I am currently involved a little with FATW (BI) and MMS (RTW) and a lot with a mod for Alexander.

I have all the M2TW/Kingdoms stuff but I am not too keen on them (played once, no longer installed). The interface graphics and style of the maps etc. are not to my liking (though I think all that can be modded).

My own feeling is to wait a few months (and current obligations will force me to anyway) and then look at the totally new engine of Empire:TW - if I ever mod M2TW/Kingdoms I do not know but I would say unlikely.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."

I have to agree with you there DG, I neither like lots of the "moddable stuff", but neither do I in Rome or even BI.
    Wich also sort of is responcable for my doubt wether to continue work on Rome or continue with M2 but as with Rome/BI, make it run under Kingdoms ...

Also I basicly want to go for 1 and than mod it untill I've done what I find needs doing and than just be left with an awesome modded game ... in 3 years time or so :) ... so Empires isnt really on my wish-list, I'll probably skip 2 or 3 engines .. ;)

The main difference between the 2 imo is that M2/Kingdoms is much more moddable, but thats also where it ends ... its moddable ...
    Rome isnt nearly as moddable, doesnt have a good proper script-language/abilities, but it actually has some AI ... (or at least compared to M2 it looks as if they tried to make it less capable (I used the "control your reinforcements" thing several times, I tought the AI's AI was stupid ....)

Anyway thanks for the reply, maybe waiting for Empires might just be a good thing, though I wonder what that may do to the AI .... ;)

G

Hardly a hard-core modder myself, but I stand by DG on this matter - we are also involved in the same projects, but on different degrees.

Yes, the strength of M2 (and especially Kingdoms) are the campaign features and its *potential*. But it needs some good modding for this potential to bear results - there are no release mods yet that achieve this great breakthrough. On the other hand, it's battle engine it's utterly disappointing, and that more or less ruins the effect of the multiple models and the nice animations etc. Rome doesn't have such a 'strong' campaign as M2 and is definitely less modable, but it's battles are definitely more satisfying; so much more than M2 that it gives RTW the victory if these two games are compared.

Like DG, I don't see myself modding M2; I'd rather improve whatever there is to improve on RTW(BI) and wait for the fresh engine to see what it will offer.

Norman Invasion - The fate of England lies in your hands...

Viking Invasion II - Unite Britain in the best TW campaign ever!

Gods and Fighting Men: Total War - Enter the Mists of Myth in Ancient Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan
    Hardly a hard-core modder myself, .....

Interesting statement, I do see this as hard-core ....

Anyway I'm slowelly coming to the conclusion that M2 is fun .. for a few hours than just gets annoying, fighting in Rome, specially sieges are something I really like, I just seem to try to avoid them in Kingdoms ....

I guess I'll just stick with Kingdoms for now and play it untill I've had a good taste of its campaign-features, or when I get annoyed enough with its battles, wich ever comes first :) than just go to back modding Rome, saves me having to research all those M2 features as well :D

Thanks for your reply's DG and Aradan

G

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Indeed, this would be better off in mod discussion.