Thread: Can an EB member (or some thoughtful roman player help me)

Default Can an EB member (or some thoughtful roman player help me)

1. When a family member wins election to an office (outside of Questor or Tribune) should I send them to Rome? I remember some EB people stating that office-holders typically did not leave the city, unless a consul was off at war.

2. Also, if I were to do this, would it be fair to make recruitable equites consulares (possibly though a type 4 govt in italy) to lead my legions? I know they typically do not get elected to offices above questor, and this would leave things open for the family members to rack up political points in rome or command provinces.

3. How wise is it to use my own curius election system instead of the scripted elections? There are alot out there (some use cities in italy to signify political position, and other use reef/bodyguard counts.)? I know that political position of characters is a requirement of the reforms, but I hate not having a consul or praetor each turn to lead my big cities and armies.

Thanks!

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

Default Re: Can an EB member (or some thoughtful roman player help me)

Well... For your first point it depends how you role-play. Remember Consuls (and maybe Praetors, I'm not sure) could be elected in absentia (without being in Rome), and then directly lead armies in the field. I think that happened during the First Punic War, but again I'm not sure.
    Also consider gameplay reasons. If your character is campaigning in Thrace, gets elected to Consul, and you send him back to Rome... His term will have ended before he gets there!

As for the rest of your questions, I can't really say. I don't use recruitable generals much, and I just use my Consuls/proconsuls and praetors/propraetors to lead my armies. If one of my family members seems apt to be governor of a city, then he's on that career for most of his life. And what's your own curius system? Maybe you should explain that first (unless I missed it, sorry)

Hope this helps.
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Personally I find it too much micromanaging to send my FM's back to Rome if they get elected to an office, say he is in Asia Minor, by the time he gets back to Rome his term will be up. You could leave him in a nearby city for a year and pretend he is in Rome if you like historical accuracy that much.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmilt16
    1. When a family member wins election to an office (outside of Questor or Tribune) should I send them to Rome? I remember some EB people stating that office-holders typically did not leave the city, unless a consul was off at war.
    Depending on the size of your empire, it is often not possible to do so. For example, one of my Consuls was elected Censor while campagning in the North.

2. Also, if I were to do this, would it be fair to make recruitable equites consulares (possibly though a type 4 govt in italy) to lead my legions?
    Your Legions are led by the Consuls, Pro-Consuls, Praetors and Pro-Praetors in Republican times (might also be a Dictator and a Magister Equitum). You should take care of the needed offices to be held.

3. How wise is it to use my own curius election system instead of the scripted elections? There are alot out there (some use cities in italy to signify political position, and other use reef/bodyguard counts.)? I know that political position of characters is a requirement of the reforms, but I hate not having a consul or praetor each turn to lead my big cities and armies.
    I use this system (age plus bodyguard plus "connections") to fill up the needed offices when I do not have the appropiate number of Ex-something by trait. For example, the requirement to be a (Pro-)Praetor would be to have the trait "Ex-Aedile" or minimum "Ex-Quaestor". When I do not have enough of these I let my FMs vote for some distinctive characters to fill these offices meanwhile. These are real Pro-Praetor, "instead of a Praetor".

Disclaimer: my posts are to be considered my private opinion and not offical statements by the EB Team