Thread: Roe v. Wade

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Default Roe v. Wade

Roe was wrong
    by Timothy P. Carney | Nov 6, 2005

What do Alan Dershowitz and Laurence Tribe have in common with Antonin Scalia and Robert Bork? They all believe Roe v. Wade was a bad decision. Dershowitz and Tribe are not the only pro-choice legal scholars who denounce Roe as poor jurisprudence.

John Hart Ely, another pro-choice legal scholar, wrote in 1973 in the Yale Law Journal that Roe was wrongly decided. Edward Lazarus, a dedicated pro-choicer and former clerk to Roe's author, says Roe was borderline "indefensible." Pro-choice Washington Post writer Benjamin Wittes calls Roe "a lousy decision." Slate columnist William Saletan--who left the Republican Party in 2004 because it was too pro-life--has written that Roe was a sloppy "overreach." Pro-choice Washington Post columnist Richard Cohen calls Roe "a bad decision."

The debate over Judge Samuel Alito and the Supreme Court cannot be an honest one until this simple truth is laid bare: Roe v. Wade was a bad Supreme decision, which no honest reading of the Constitution can support.

But to listen to the public debate over Alito, or the Senate debates over John Roberts, you would think that any judge who would reject Roe is only slightly less radical than the people who shoot abortionists. When Democratic Senators and liberal interest groups charge Bush's nominees with being "anti-choice extremists," on the suspicion they would overturn Roe, Republicans weakly respond by saying, in effect, "we have no idea what this judge thinks about Roe." No one challenges the Democratic orthodoxy that Roe is as essential to American liberty as the freedom of speech. In fact, the Republican chairman of the Judiciary Committee has joined in the Democrats' chorus, calling Roe "inviolate" and a "super-duper precedent."

The time has come for Republican senators to stand up and speak the truth about Roe.

To begin, the media could use a crash course on just what Roe did, and what would happen if it were overturned. A Washington Post headline during the regrettable Miers affair read, "Nominee Dismisses Speculation on Roe; On Hill, Miers Discounts Report That She Would Vote to Outlaw Abortions." The clear implication of this headline is that overturning Roe would make abortions illegal throughout America. This is the conventional wisdom. And it is wrong.

Overturning Roe would make abortion like almost every other legal issue in America: a matter for the states. Abortion used to be legislated and regulated on a state-by-state basis, just like speed limits, murder laws, marriage laws, sales taxes, hunting laws, smoking in bars, and prostitution still are. Roe basically ended that in 1973. Overturning Roe would not "outlaw abortion," but would instead allow the elected officials in each individual state to chose for his or her own state whether to ban nearly all abortions, leave it legal in all cases, or limit it in some circumstances but allow it in others.

A second overlooked point is that if Judge Alito is confirmed, and both Alito and Roberts vote to overturn it (hardly a safe assumption given the track record of past Republican Presidents), Roe still will likely stand. There are four hard-core liberals on the bench right now--John Paul Stevens, David Souter, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, and Stephen Breyer--plus one "swing vote," Anthony Kennedy. In 1992, Kennedy voted with the majority in Planned Parenthood v. Casey, the decision that saved Roe. But Republicans ought not be ashamed that they are threatening Roe. Indeed, the Democrats and Specter ought to be embarrassed to defend it.

I could lay out many arguments here as to why the decision was miserable: it depended on a discarded notion of "substantive due process" in which "process" is read to mean its opposite; Roe is based on "rights" discovered in the "penumbras" and "emanations" of the Constitution; "Roe" is now a pro-lifer, as is the woman "Doe" from the 1973 companion case Doe v. Bolton. Neither woman ever received an abortion. In fact, Doe never even sought an abortion and has always opposed it.

But it is better to let pro-choice scholars do the criticizing. In June, Ethics and Public Policy Center President Ed Whelan went before a Senate Judiciary Subcommittee and read critiques of Roe, many written by people who think abortion ought to remain legal. Most of the following are taken from Whelan's testimony, and include citations. I have bolded the names of the Roe critics, and provided links where possible.

"One of the most curious things about Roe is that, behind its own verbal smokescreen, the substantive judgment on which it rests is nowhere to be found." Laurence H. Tribe, "The Supreme Court, 1972 Term--Foreword: Toward a Model of Roles in the Due Process of Life and Law," 87 Harvard Law Review 1, 7 (1973).

"As a matter of constitutional interpretation and judicial method, Roe borders on the indefensible. I say this as someone utterly committed to the right to choose, as someone who believes such a right has grounding elsewhere in the Constitution instead of where Roe placed it, and as someone who loved Roe's author like a grandfather." Edward Lazarus, (former clerk to Harry Blackmun) "The Lingering Problems with Roe v. Wade, and Why the Recent Senate Hearings on Michael McConnell's Nomination Only Underlined Them," FindLaw Legal Commentary, Oct. 3, 2002

"Blackmun's [Supreme Court] papers vindicate every indictment of Roe: invention, overreach, arbitrariness, textual indifference." William Saletan, "Unbecoming Justice Blackmun," Legal Affairs, May/June 2005.

"What is frightening about Roe is that this super-protected right is not inferable from the language of the Constitution, the framers' thinking respecting the specific problem in issue, any general value derivable from the provisions they included, or the nation's governmental structure. Nor is it explainable in terms of the unusual political impotence of the group judicially protected vis-� -vis the interest that legislatively prevailed over it. . . . At times the inferences the Court has drawn from the values the Constitution marks for special protection have been controversial, even shaky, but never before has its sense of an obligation to draw one been so obviously lacking." John Hart Ely, "The Wages of Crying Wolf: A Comment on Roe v. Wade," 82 Yale Law Journal 920, 935-937 (1973).

Roe "is a lousy opinion that disenfranchised millions of conservatives on an issue about which they care deeply." Benjamin Wittes, "Letting Go of Roe," The Atlantic Monthly, Jan/Feb 2005.

Richard Cohen's critique, in which he called Roe "a bad decision," was in his Post column, titled "Support Choice, Not Roe."

Alan Dershowitz attacked Bush v. Gore as illegitimate by likening it to Roe in his book, Supreme Injustice. He wrote that the two decisions "represent opposite sides of the same currency of judicial activism in areas more appropriately left to the political processes[.] Judges have no special competence, qualifications, or mandate to decide between equally compelling moral claims (as in the abortion controversy)[.] [C]lear governing constitutional principles . . . are not present in either case." (p. 194).

If these men can admit Roe was wrong, surely Republican Senators can. At least a couple of Republican Senators have tiptoed around this question. John Cornyn and Sam Brownback have quietly asserted that reasonable people can object to Roe. It is time for Republicans to do the actual objecting.

Tim Carney is the Warren T. Brookes Journalism Fellow at the Competitive Enterprise Institute and a free-lance journalist in Washington, D.C.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Default Re: Roe v. Wade!!!!

This again?

We muder people in the U.S., we have a federal death penalty and a federal law allowing abortion. Each are state issues that are never likely to be allowed back off the federal plate.

it should be a state issuem, but this is tired, really.
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    This again?

We muder people in the U.S., we have a federal death penalty and a federal law allowing abortion. Each are state issues that are never likely to be allowed back off the federal plate.

it should be a state issuem, but this is tired, really.
    The only thing that needs to happen for it to become a state issue is for the bad decision to be overturned. Are you for the overturning of Roe v Wade? I just want you to state that you are and understand that it isn't the end of abortion.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff
    The only thing that needs to happen for it to become a state issue is for the bad decision to be overturned. Are you for the overturning of Roe v Wade? I just want you to state that you are and understand that it isn't the end of abortion.
    Yes I am for the overturn of roe v wade. It should be a state issue, Im also a pro choice person as I favor the death penalty what kind of hypocrite would I be if I told someone else they couldnt kill?
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

Around 60% of people either believe that abortion should be illegal OR that there should be stronger restrictions than currently exist. 39% of people believe that abortion should be "generally available"

Check this out

I use Wiki because it has links from the data

68% of people believe that abortion should be generally illegal during and after the second trimester

Reasons for abortions

In 2000, cases of rape or incest accounted for 1% of abortions.[8] Another study, in 1998, revealed that women reported the following reasons for choosing an abortion:[9]

* 25.5% Want to postpone childbearing
    * 21.3% Cannot afford a baby
    * 14.1% Has relationship problem or partner does not want pregnancy
    * 12.2% Too young; parent(s) or other(s) object to pregnancy
    * 10.8% Having a child will disrupt education or job
    * 7.9% Want no (more) children
    * 3.3% Risk to fetal health
    * 2.8% Risk to maternal health
    * 2.1% Other

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Roe v. Wade is an ongoing problem. If the courts hadn't stepped in and mandated a one-size-fits-all approach, I have no doubt we would have worked our way around to where the Europeans generally are, with some abortions available in some circumstances, but none after the second trimester.

A good, solid compromise would carry us through until technology makes the issue of abortion obsolete.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them ... well, I have others." — Groucho Marx

yes, I've seen the arguments before on this very website. (Gawain) made some great arguments about the abolishment of roe v wade.

Im not swayed by statistics of trimesters because that tends to delve into when does a child become a person. My simplistic approach is, if its got a heartbeat its alive. Now when that occurs is irrelevant to me, because I dont approve of abortion to be honest.

However the right to choose should be available to citizens as free people, the will of others shouldnt be mandated upon anyone.

Sua Sponte

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Roe v. Wade is an ongoing problem. If the courts hadn't stepped in and mandated a one-size-fits-all approach, I have no doubt we would have worked our way around to where the Europeans generally are, with some abortions available in some circumstances, but none after the second trimester.

A good, solid compromise would carry us through until technology makes the issue of abortion obsolete.
    I would support that decision in the interim. At least we could save lives in the process - It is better than no lives at all. I hope other Americans are starting to see this.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    yes, I've seen the arguments before on this very website. (Gawain) made some great arguments about the abolishment of roe v wade.

Im not swayed by statistics of trimesters because that tends to delve into when does a child become a person. My simplistic approach is, if its got a heartbeat its alive. Now when that occurs is irrelevant to me, because I dont approve of abortion to be honest.

However the right to choose should be available to citizens as free people, the will of others shouldn't be mandated upon anyone.
    That point is interesting. I wish it mattered, but until Roe is gone - none of our opinions matter. I'm surprised that we got a partial birth ban through at all.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Adamantly pro-choice here. I think that some of the abortion methods are disgusting and inhuman, those should be banned, some are iirc. Without getting into it too much, I am on the fence about 2nd trimester, support ban on 3rd trimester baring a medical reason.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Hi Whacker, the problem is that none of those reasonable steps can be taken so long as Roe v. Wade is on the books.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them ... well, I have others." — Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Whacker
    Adamantly pro-choice here. I think that some of the abortion methods are disgusting and inhuman, those should be banned, some are iirc. Without getting into it too much, I am on the fence about 2nd trimester, support ban on 3rd trimester baring a medical reason.
    Hey Whacker glad to see you about.

Sua Sponte

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur

Clearly you're not following this issue very closely. Reason will get you nowhere .

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir
    Clearly you're not following this issue very closely. Reason will get you nowhere .
    It will get us somewhere. Once the Jerk senators don't have ground support to block judicial nominations based on their Roe v. Wade beliefs - We can maybe put an end to it!

The way to do that is to keep talking about it forever in an understanding way so that we can start to illuminate the truths about the awful decision.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The issues in this thread bore me. START ANOTHER THREAD!!!
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Quote Originally Posted by CrossLOPER
    It is "boring" that the U.S. Supreme court has a set precedent where they can overrule longstanding democratic legislation due to a part of the constitution that doesn't actually exist? You don't see how serious this is, not only for the issue that we are discussing, but any issue in the hands of activist judges? Why bother having a legislative branch at all as enumerated in the Constitution?

What excites you?
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 01-09-2008 at 21:09.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Here's an idea... if you don't like the thread, don't read it? Instead of telling a group of people to shut up, which is what you're effectively doing, why don't you mosey along to another topic that does pique your curiosity.

That point is interesting. I wish it mattered, but until Roe is gone - none of our opinions matter. I'm surprised that we got a partial birth ban through at all.
    No we didn't. The federal courts immediately suspended enforcement of the measure on the grounds that it places an undue burden on the mother's privacy and didn't make adequate provisions for the (mental) health of the mother.. You can get a 3rd trimester elective abortion in any of the 50 states in the Union.

Lemur, your compromise is too wise to ever be accepted. For reasons I've stated before, neither NARAL nor Operation Rescue will ever compromise on this issue, and the status quo will remain.

The biggest issue I have with Roe v. Wade is that in it, the Supreme Court conferred upon itself the right to interpret the Constitution to bestow new rights and restrictions, as they currently see fit. It's the judicial branch version of Congress's Interstate Commerce Clause power grab.

And people think the executive branch has too much power...
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 01-09-2008 at 21:11.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    Here's an idea... if you don't like the thread, don't read it? Instead of telling a group of people to shut up, which is what you're effectively doing, why don't you mosey along to another topic that does pique your curiosity.

No we didn't. The federal courts immediately suspended enforcement of the measure on the grounds that it places an undue burden on the mother's privacy and didn't make adequate provisions for the (mental) health of the mother.. You can get a 3rd trimester elective abortion in any of the 50 states in the Union.

Lemur, your compromise is too wise to ever be accepted. For reasons I've stated before, neither NARAL nor Operation Rescue will ever compromise on this issue, and the status quo will remain.

The biggest issue I have with Roe v. Wade is that in it, the Supreme Court conferred upon itself the right to interpret the Constitution to bestow new rights and restrictions, as they currently see fit. It's the judicial branch version of Congress's Interstate Commerce Clause power grab.

And people think the executive branch has too much power...
    While I realize that there is deadlock, Operation rescue people are good people for the most part. I side with them. I used to work with them when I was younger. I want the same result as they do, but I am more political then they are in achieving it - over time - gradually. The alternative is either deadlock or revolution. Both result in more deaths than "compromise, thrust, compromise, thrust".

The executive branch has more power over foreign policy, but the Judicial Branch has first and last call on all issues on a national level. What does the Legislative branch even do anymore?
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 01-09-2008 at 21:22.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    I was making fun of the OP for the number of threads he has fabricated recently.

I was making fun of the OP for the number of threads he has fabricated recently.
    They have been pretty interesting as far as I'm concerned. You post some then.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

They have been pretty interesting as far as I'm concerned. You post some then.
    I can post several threads on alternative scientific theory with a secondary focus (of theory) on molecular biology, subject matter of spontaneous art, newer (sort of) concepts of spontaneous music theory with a primary focus on classical and/or (goa-psy) trance, alternative technological progression, utilization of older computer systems... and other stuff.

1.) Which do you feel strongly interested it?

2.) How many times have you seen anything written about any of the following?

3.) Do you think that any of the subjects are important in broad circumstance?

4.) Do you think I would feel strongly offended if someone entered my thread and poked fun at me for getting a bit excited about a subject?

Really, I was not intending to offend you. Odin broadly pointed out my main thought anyway.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Roe v. Wade!!!!

My opinions:

Abortion - not to be taken lightly, but I'm fiercely pro-choice.

Roe v Wade, egislative vs judicial powers - not so much the result of activist judges, but of inactivist politicians. If the legislative and executive branches won't solve an issue, at some point the judicial branch will. Somebody has to. America is not the only country where, in the 1970's, the deadlock over this or other controversial issues was broken by judges.

Roe v Wade, federal v States - Not the issue. It is simply a strategy for the pro-life movement to reduce abortion as much as possible. They couldn't repel Roe vs Wade in thirty years for it's primary content. So now their efforts are aimed on overturning it for indirect reasons.
    'States Rights' is for the pro-life movement what Intelligent Design is for the Creationists. A contingency plan.

Roe, Romney and Tuff - by all means, have abortion as the break issue for American politics in 2008. If America's hardright religious wing uses this election for yet another moral crusade, for another round of ballot box confessions, it will only improve the chances of serious politicians winning the election. I think most Americans, regardless of their opinions about abortion, gays, cursing and what not, are not interested in them as break issues in the election this time.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Roe v Wade?

Get out the oars, wading -- though fairly sure-footed as an approach -- is slow compared to rowing.

Couldn't resist. Have Gregoshi PM me in punishment.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

CrossLOPER, I don't think it's kosher to slam somebody for creating a lot of threads. Unless they're spam, which in this case they clearly are not.

Vigorous participation should be rewarded.

Here, have a balloon.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Don't push your Islamic balloons here!

(Spam example )

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!

I have two responses for this.

For the first, I will simply say that I do not think that I "slammed" him. There was nothing, IMO, particularly vicious about my comment... ah crap I forgot the smiley....

This is not the first time I posted a totally random comment. If anyone took it seriously, once again I am sorry. I just thought everyone accepted them already. I mean no disrespect, but come on! Even Seamus stuck something in. That's the most I have to say about this.

As for my second response, this is what I WANTED to post:

CrossLOPER, I don't think it's kosher to slam somebody for creating a lot of threads.
    to slam somebody for creating a lot of threads.
    to slam somebody
    TO SLAM
    Everybody get up it's time to slam now
    We got a real jam goin' down
    Welcome to the Space Jam
    Here's your chance, do your dance at the Space Jam
    Alright....

Come on and slam, and welcome to the jam
    Come on and slam, if you wanna jam

Hey you, watchagonna do
    Hey you, watcha gonna do
    Hey you, watcha gonna do
    Hey you, watcha gonna do
    Party people in the house lets go
    It's your boy "Jayski" a'ight so
    Pass that thing and watch me flex
    Behind my back, you know what's next
    To the jam, all in your face
    Wassup, just feel the bass
    Drop it, rock it, down the room
    Shake it, quake it, space KABOOM...Jus
    work that body, work that body
    Make sure you don't hurt no body
    Get wild and lose your mind
    Take this thing into over-time
    Hey DJ, TURN IT UP
    New CD, goin' burn it up
    C'mon y'all get on the floor
    So hey, let's go a'ight

[Chorus 1]

[Chorus 2:]
    Wave your hands in the air if you feel fine
    We're gonna take it into overtime
    Welcome to the Space Jam
    Here's your chance, do your dance at the Space Jam
    Alright...

C'mon it's time to get hype say "Whoop there it is"
    C'mon all the fellas say "Whoop there it is"
    C'mon one time for the ladies say "Whoop there it is"
    Now all the fellas say "Whoop there it is"
    C'mon and run, baby run
    C'mon, C'mon, do it, run baby run
    Yeah, you want a hoop...so shoot, baby shoot
    C'mon and slam, and welcome to the jam
    C'mon and slam, if you wanna jam
    C'mon and slam, and welcome to the jam
    C'mon and slam, if you wanna jam

Slam, Bam, Thank you ma'am
    Get on the floor and jam
    If you see me on the microphone
    Girl you got me in a zone
    C'mon, C'mon and start the game
    Break it down, tell me your name
    We the team, I'm the coach
    Let's dance all night from coast to coast
    Just slide, from left to right
    Just slide, yourself enlight
    You see me, drop the base
    3-1-1 all in your face
    Jam on it, let's have some fun
    Jam on it, One on One
    You run the "O" and I run the "D"
    So C'mon baby just jam for me

[Chorus 1]
    [Chorus 2]

Hey ladie
    "Yah"
    Y'all ready stop?
    "NO!"
    Y'all wanna know why?
    "Why?"
    Cuz it's a Slam Jam

Fellas
    "Yah"
    Y'all ready to stop
    "NO!"
    Y'all wanna know why?
    "Why?"
    It's time to Slam Jam

[Chorus 1]
    [Chorus 2]

C'mon, everybody say "Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah"
    C'mon, C'mon let me hear you say "Hey ey ey O"
    C'mon, C'mon everybody "Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah"
    Just take the time to say "Hey ey ey O"
    Check it out, Check it out
    Y'all ready for this?
    "You know it"
    Nah...y'all ain't ready!
    Y'all ready for this?
    "You know it!"
    C'mon check it out, Y'all ready to jam?
    "You know it!"
    Nah...I, I don't think so
    Y'all ready to jam?
    "You know it!"
    C'mon

To which I say ...

Don't call it a comeback
    I been here for years
    Rockin' my peers
    Puttin' suckers in fear
    Makin' the tears rain down like a monsoon
    Listen to the bass go boom
    Explosion, overpowerin'
    Over the competition, I'm towerin'
    Records shock
    When I drop these lyrics
    That'll make you call the cops
    Don't you dare stare
    You betta move
    Don't ever compare me to the rest
    They'll all get sliced and diced
    Competition's payin' the price

I'm gonna knock you out
    Mama said knock you out
    I'm gonna knock you out
    Mama said knock you out
    I'm gonna knock you out
    Mama said knock you out
    I'm gonna knock you out
    Mama said knock you out

Don't you call this no regular jam
    I'm gonna rock this land
    I'm gonna take this itty-bitty world by storm
    And I'm just getting warm
    Just like Mohammad Ali, they called him Cassius
    Watch me bash this beat like a skull
    Dontcha know I gotta beef wit'
    Why don't you rip with me, the maniac psycho
    Cuz when I pull out my jammy, get ready cuz it might go
    Blauh!
    How do you like me now?
    The reverand will not allow
    you to get wit' Mr. Smith don't risk
    Listen to my gear shift.
    I'm blastin', outlastin'
    Colors like shaft, so you could say I'm shaftin'
    Old English fill my mind and I came up with this funky rhyme

I'm gonna knock you out
    Mama said knock you out
    I'm gonna knock you out
    Mama said knock you out
    I'm gonna knock you out
    Mama said knock you out
    I'm gonna knock you out
    Mama said knock you out

Shadow boxin' when I heard you on the radio
    I just don't know
    What made them forget that I was raw
    But now I gotta new toy
    I'm going insane
    Frontin' the hurricane
    Releasin' pain
    Lettin' you know
    You can't gain or maintain
    Unless you say my name
    Rippin'
    Killin'
    Diggin' and drillin' a hole
    Well I'll pass your goal

I'm gonna knock you out
    Mama said knock you out
    I'm gonna knock you out
    Mama said knock you out
    I'm gonna knock you out
    Mama said knock you out
    I'm gonna knock you out
    Mama said knock you out

Shotgun blasts are heard
    When I rip and kill at will
    The man of the hour, tower of power
    I will devour
    I'm gonna tie you up and let you understand
    That I'm not your average man
    When I gotta jammy in my hand
    Damn
    Ooh
    Listen to the way I slay your crew
    Damnit
    Damnit
    Damnit
    Damnit
    Destruction, terror and mayhem
    Pass me a .... I'll slay him
    Farmers (WHAT)
    Farmers (WHAT)
    Ready? (READY)
    I think I'm gonna bomb a town
    Don't you never, ever
    Pull my lever
    'Cause I explode
    And my nine is easy to load
    I gotta thank God
    'Cause he gave me this chance to rock
    Hard... knock you out

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Gentlemen,

TuffStuffMcGruff started an interesting thread to which he has had several thoughtful replies.

Please do him the courtesy of returning to topic.

Thank you kindly.

"If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"