Thread: A couple more questions from the new guy

Member Member RomulusAugustusCaesar's Avatar

Default A couple more questions from the new guy

First off, I'd like to thank the EB team for making such a great mod! RTW had been gathering a lot of dust on my shelf until I downloaded EB! (Yes, even RTR had started to get tiresome). But now I play EB more than any other game in my collection (which is VERY big).

Anyways, I've been having a lot of fun with the mod, but I've been playing on lower graphics settings, since my old PC could barely handle RTW. But I've got a newer PC now, that basically kicks my old PC's... well... rear. But I've already got two games going right now, one as the Romani and one as the Epirotes.

Well, I wanted to up the unit sizes (I don't know the exact name of the setting I'm using, but its the one where Roman Maniples contain 80 men and Phalangites have 120, etc.) and I was thinking of increasing the size of the units.

This leads me to my first question. I wanted to test the larger sizes in custom battles to see how well my PC handles large armies filled with large units. But in the custom battles, the Romani can't seem to be able to use their own units, only mercs. Why is that?

My second question is, if I increase the unit sizes, will they be bigger in my already existing games? Or will it cause some kind of CTD if I try to load a game with 80 man maniples when the game is now set to 100+ man maniples?
    Romulus Augustus Caesar, Last Emperor of Rome: AD 475 - 476

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Default Re: A couple more questions from the new guy

1- You have to switch out the EDU if you are playing custom battles. (See the last question on the FAQ.)
    2- Unit size is saved in a savefile. If you change unit size and load an old game, it will have the same sizes as when you started the campaign. You have to start a new game to see changes in unit size.

Member Member RomulusAugustusCaesar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    1- You have to switch out the EDU if you are playing custom battles. (See the last question on the FAQ.)
    2- Unit size is saved in a savefile. If you change unit size and load an old game, it will have the same sizes as when you started the campaign. You have to start a new game to see changes in unit size.
    Thanks! So my old games will remain the same size, but won't CTD. GREAT!

Thanks for the answers!
    Romulus Augustus Caesar, Last Emperor of Rome: AD 475 - 476

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

if you want, just click "let the computer choose my army for me" and wait until it has the specific units you want, then save it. ex: if you want the new cohors imperatoria, wait until you get them as an option on the screen, and along with a few other units, save them as a custom army, and whenever you want them, just add that army. the only problemn is, theres always that one unit that isnt there with the other units you want..... *cough* polybian principes *cough*
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore