Thread: Zeal & the Orthodox

Default Zeal & the Orthodox

Does anyone know how to increase the zeal of Orthodox provinces or to increase the piety of the units trained in said provinces ?

I have already looked in the Alchemist Lab for answers to no avail

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: Zeal & the Orthodox

If I'm not mistaken, zeal has no affect on Orthodox factions. They cannot crusade/jihad, and are not affected by inquisitors.

Piety would only come into play when a Orthodox general becomes governor of a non-Orthodox province.

This is the cue for the more learned members to correct me...
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

drone is correct. Generally speaking, Orthodox factions are fairly "neutral", religion-wise.

They have no way of increasing zeal, as they have no equivalent of Inquisitors or Imams. As for increasing Piety, I've heard people claim that units trained in provinces with religous buildings (Churches, Monasteries, etc.) receive a higher starting piety, but I've never seen any real evidence of this.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Zeal only effects the recruitment numbers for crusades/jihads, as the Orthodox don't have crusades/jihads then they don't need zeal and as such don't benefit from it. I have seen people mention that zeal affects the happiness of a province. AFAIK it doesn't. Piety does if mismatched with the owning faction and further if mismatched with the governor.

By "mismatched" I mean piety values that aren't close. A province with 90% muslim piety would be unhappy under a catholic faction and even more unhappy if assigned a high piety catholic governor. This can be offset somewhat by finding an impious or very low piety general to govern the province. If this general has some dread than that's even more of a bonus as that will also offset the unhappiness.

Someone posted some time ago that either catholic percentage or zeal in an orthodox province effects the amount looted by a crusade if it passes through. This sounds feasible but I haven't tested it so can't confirm.

The reasons for my interest in Orthodox zeal is purely academic.
    In general which file(s) does one adjust in able to increase Orthodox zeal and its' effects ?

I would like if a 1valour bishop or 3valour priest had some influence on provincial zeal. Those govenors and generals that are not even dimly aware bore me.

In the past I have been lucky enough to bride an ex-crusade turned rebel to acquire high piety units. Even have tried getting a high zeal Catholic province to attempt a quick and mass conversion with very limited success.

I'm not looking for anything as powerful as an Iman , just somethin that might increase the zeal 1% every ten years.

I have a question about zeal in Orthodox provinces as my Crusades always take a manpower hit when passing through Byzantine provinces. Obviously, they aren't going to gain more troops when they pass through, but if the zeal in an Orthodox province is very high, will it reduce the amount of men who desert the Crusade when passing through? My guess is that there isn't an impact either way but I think it's interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1747 View Post
    I have a question about zeal in Orthodox provinces as my Crusades always take a manpower hit when passing through Byzantine provinces.
    Don't pass through. Bypass. I prefer to pass NO provinces when I crusade. Use the ship chains to deliver your crusade directly to the target province.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

I like to march through the other Catholic regions to acquire unique troops from time to time. I sometimes use the ship chain route but it can also be hard to do early in game. I'm playing as the English on BKB Super Mod and a ship chain from Wessex to Antioch was pretty hard with Egyptian ships everywhere. Anyway, that's not really my question because I'm aware of ship chains, I was just wondering if high zeal in Orthodox provinces makes any difference, though I doubt it.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Welcome to the Org, jp1747!

I'm not sure if zeal works with the majority religion in the province, the owning faction's culture, or if it's agnostic and gives benefits/penalties regardless. My guess is that it's either the first or second, but I've never done any research to verify it.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Høvedsmann i Leidangen Member Zajuts149's Avatar

i think zeal mostly applies to the majority religion, as it sometimes take some time to grow after you change it.
    As for zeal working for orthodox, it does. In my personal mod, I have taken away zeal-raising from inquisitors, and given it to Cardinals and Orthodox bishops. I find that generally, a region with high zeal produces better stats, both piety and acumen, and good traits comes more often. It's sometimes hard in the beginning to find good administrators, but after zeal has been raised to 70+, there is usually good characters coming out.
    "Ar scal risa
    sa er annars vill
    fe eþa fior hafa;
    sialdan liggiandi vlfr
    ler vm getr,
    ne sofandi maþr sigr."
    -Hàvamàl

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Interesting, I've never heard about a correlation between high zeal and good v&v's / stats.
    Not doubting your words Zajuts149, but can someone confirm that?

VictorGB Member Trapped in Samsara's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zajuts149 View Post
    I find that generally, a region with high zeal produces better stats, both piety and acumen, and good traits comes more often. It's sometimes hard in the beginning to find good administrators, but after zeal has been raised to 70+, there is usually good characters coming out.
    Hi

I have not noticed (or even suspected) any such correlation, nor have I ever read anything along these lines. I'm not dismissing the possibility, but if (as I believe is generally agreed) zeal cannot be 'cultivated' by orthodox factions then the vanilla game would be significantly biased against them, no?

Best regards
    Victor

Sapere aude
    Horace

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

I can't say I've really noticed a correlation with improved Acumen or better V&V's, although I've admittedly not paid particular attention either. However, I will say I've long noticed high-zeal provinces seem to produce unit leaders with higher-than-average Piety.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Martok View Post
    I can't say I've really noticed a correlation with improved Acumen or better V&V's, although I've admittedly not paid particular attention either. However, I will say I've long noticed high-zeal provinces seem to produce unit leaders with higher-than-average Piety.
    They also have more zeal/piety related v&v. But that's about it afaik.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED