Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gandalf the double agent

Default gandalf the double agent

argument: gandalf was actually a double agent and a servant of sauron.

proof:

when gandalf finds out that bilbo has the ring, he realizes that he needs to get it to his master sauron, but gandalf knows he cannot take the ring personally, because it drives you nuts. he's seen it in golem and he is seeing it in bilbo. gandalf doesn't want to go nuts so he needs a patsy, a mule, a carrier piegeon. so he casts a spell on bilbo and uses all of his magical willpower to force bilbo to give the ring to frodo. and he sets up sam as an alternate. hobbits are great for being ring bearers because they're plumb and unambitious and ignorant of the world outside. if he gives the ring to someone powerful like boromir, saruman or aragon, then they could actually have the power to wield and and to defeat his master sauron which would not be good. now gandalf also needs to keep the ring away from the other servants of sauron because he wants to be the one to give the ring to sauron since sauron fosters divisions and mistrust among his servants. good old divide and rule see. so gandalf reckons he can guide the hobbits to mordor, when they get to the volcano, he can just smack em around take the ring and give it to sauron. when the ringwraiths find out about hobbiton, gandalf sends aragon to go keep the hobbits away from the ringwraiths. it works brilliantly. in facts it works too well because apparently one of the side effects of being ressurected is that you cannot swim and get an irrational fear of open water, and the ringwraiths drown in an aberrant seasonal river flooding. but now gandalf reckons sauron must be pissed because he has lost all track of the ring once it reaches rivendell. to make sure his master knows he's still on his side, what does gandalf do? he utters the black speech to draw the evil eye there while they are having their council meeting and gives some lame excuse as to why. he uses his magical powers of persuasion to keep the council from adopting a sensible plan, like sending an army to the volcano, or sending some giant eagles to drop the ring in the volcano, or sending a strike team of expert camoflagers, knowers of geography and goody two shoes like elves and rangers. no, gandalf pushes for them to send the same ignorant unambitous hobbits [with protection so the other agents of sauron don't take the ring] to morder where they can just get picked up by border patrol and gandalf wins. unfortunately for gandalf, when he goes to collude with saruman, he realized that the wizard has betrayed their evil overlord and is working for himself. so after gandalf escapes, he knows he now also needs to keep isengard in check. unfortunately for gandalf, he dies in moria, and when sauron ressurects him, he is also given a mission of getting the armies of the west in one place so sauron can just beat them in one battle instead of having to chase them all around. a secondary more personal objective for gandalf is that now he must avoid oceans and big rivers and water if he can, because as a resurrectee he can't swim and has an irrational fear of open water. though he hides it well. so gandy goes to the horse people's king, breaks the spell saruman has on him and secretly casts his own spell on him to get his own army [which is designed to fight on open plains] to hole up in some castle and draw saurman's forces there and keep them in check. gandolf can't rejoin the hobbits, since they are now across the big river and he's got river phobia. he then goes to gondor and has them all gather in the big fortress city as per instructions from sauron. surprisingly, the good guys win the battle for gondor and gandalf decides to destroy the armies of the west once and for all by leading them all on a suicide mission to attack mordor itself. at the climax of the battle, he plans on turning on his army and openly declaring for sauron and demoralizing the western forces. just as he is about to do this, he realizes the ewoks actually managed to get past border patrol and succeeded in the impossible quest he give them, and his master sauron is dead. gandalf adroitly and clandestinely swithces back to the other side and eventually gets a ship's fare to the western lands of the elves where hopefully he'll get to spread more mischief.
    indeed

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Default Re: gandalf the double agent

We do not sow.

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Well, that made no sense at all. Funny though

Although I have often wondered why they didn't just send the eagles to mordor to drop the ring in the volcano, but I just figured that would make for an uninteresting story ~

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch_guy
    Well, that made no sense at all. Funny though

Although I have often wondered why they didn't just send the eagles to mordor to drop the ring in the volcano, but I just figured that would make for an uninteresting story ~

Maybe the nazgul anti-air capabilities prevented a solely airborne operation, so they needed a combined arms approach, with a stealth infiltration mission to wipe out the air defenses to open for such a strike. As it turned out, the air cover defeated itself later by going too close to Minas Tirith's anti-air missile cover, and the downed air admiral became helpless and easily taken out by a little hobbit, causing a rout of the remaining air force, subsequently opening for the planned air extraction for the stealth mission, which by then happened to have completed its objectives.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

And here ends the story of LOTF, Lord of the Finks, where old guys turn out to be evil.

(Language - Beirut)
    Last edited by Paradox; 01-13-2008 at 18:31.

[Delete Post]

Interesting premise nokhor.

A couple of counter-points:

1) Gandalf did cross the River Anduin from Minas Tirith to the Black Gate to fight in the final battle there.

2) The Ring Wraiths were crossing the river when they were unhorsed by the flood, regardless of whether it was natural or created by Elrond.

3) Helms Deep was a place of refuge for Rohan in the past, so going there wasn't out of the question. Besides, Sauruman defeated a large body of Rohirrim twice out in the open at the Fords of Isen - the first of which resulted in the death of Theoden's son. So, fighting Sauruman in the open wasn't going to work.

4) Regarding the ploy to get all his enemies on one place to defeat them in one battle, that doesn't work either. In the time around the whole Minas Tirith business, Sauron was fighting elsewhere too. He made three attacks on Lorien and was repelled all three times by Galadriel and the elves. There was also a major battle fought north in Dale. Sauron won this battle, killing King Brand and King Dain Ironfoot and besieging the surviving men and dwaves in Erebor. Sauron's forces were also defeated in Mirkwood by Thranduil (Legolas' father). In fact the second assault on Lorien and the battle in Mirkwood took place on the same day as the battle of Pelennor. See Appendix B, "The Tale of Years" in The Return of the King.

5) Boromir would have become a slave to the Ring had Gandalf chosen him to carry it. Just look what it did to him being on close proximity to it. Hobbits were the only people that seemed to show some manner of resistence to its seductive powers.

6) Gandalf had the elven ring Narya which would have been quite a feather in his cap just returning that to Sauron.

7) This is more speculation than the others above, but regarding the eagles, the Ring was forged in the Cracks of Doom which was inside Mt. Doom. Simply dropping the ring in crater at the top probably wouldn't have sufficed. Also, the eagles flying would have drawn the attention of Sauron and apart from the Nazgul, we know little of Sauron's air defenses, physically or magically. He had no known dragons or balrogs (assuming they could fly).

That's enough for now. Thanks for the though exercise nokhor.
    This space intentionally left blank

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

^

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi
    Interesting premise nokhor.

A couple of counter-points:

1) Gandalf did cross the River Anduin from Minas Tirith to the Black Gate to fight in the final battle there.

2) The Ring Wraiths were crossing the river when they were unhorsed by the flood, regardless of whether it was natural or created by Elrond.

3) Helms Deep was a place of refuge for Rohan in the past, so going there wasn't out of the question. Besides, Sauruman defeated a large body of Rohirrim twice out in the open at the Fords of Isen - the first of which resulted in the death of Theoden's son. So, fighting Sauruman in the open wasn't going to work.

4) Regarding the ploy to get all his enemies on one place to defeat them in one battle, that doesn't work either. In the time around the whole Minas Tirith business, Sauron was fighting elsewhere too. He made three attacks on Lorien and was repelled all three times by Galadriel and the elves. There was also a major battle fought north in Dale. Sauron won this battle, killing King Brand and King Dain Ironfoot and besieging the surviving men and dwaves in Erebor. Sauron's forces were also defeated in Mirkwood by Thranduil (Legolas' father). In fact the second assault on Lorien and the battle in Mirkwood took place on the same day as the battle of Pelennor. See Appendix B, "The Tale of Years" in The Return of the King.

5) Boromir would have become a slave to the Ring had Gandalf chosen him to carry it. Just look what it did to him being on close proximity to it. Hobbits were the only people that seemed to show some manner of resistence to its seductive powers.

6) Gandalf had the elven ring Narya which would have been quite a feather in his cap just returning that to Sauron.

7) This is more speculation than the others above, but regarding the eagles, the Ring was forged in the Cracks of Doom which was inside Mt. Doom. Simply dropping the ring in crater at the top probably wouldn't have sufficed. Also, the eagles flying would have drawn the attention of Sauron and apart from the Nazgul, we know little of Sauron's air defenses, physically or magically. He had no known dragons or balrogs (assuming they could fly).

That's enough for now. Thanks for the though exercise nokhor.
    Reading the books FTW! But on #6, that could simply have been Gandalfs ace in the hole. You know in case Sauron ever turned on him. The Macheavellian schemer that is nokhor's Gandalf would have an exit strategy.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Post Re : gandalf the double agent

Nokhor's right!!!1!!

Boromir just KNEW that Gandalf's plan was ludicrous! Unfortunately, he had Boromir killed in a trap before Boromir worked out that it was Gandalf all this time.

Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nice thread.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

This place called Mars... do you know of it?

Got a couple more of the infamous Boromir:

A Catapult??

An Imaginary...Phone??
    "No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."

All us men suffer in equal parts, it's our lot in life, and no man goes without a broken heart or a lost love. Like holding your dog as he takes his last breath and dies in your arms, it's a rite of passage. Unavoidable. And honestly, I can't imagine life without that depth of feeling.-Bierut

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Hehe, I like shocking theories like this on popular movies/books/series. Nice work, nokhor!

I must say, I still believe in Gandalf's innocence, tough.
    - Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nokhor
    argument: gandalf was actually a double agent and a servant of sauron.

proof:

... when the ringwraiths find out about hobbiton, gandalf sends aragon to go keep the hobbits away from the ringwraiths. it works brilliantly. in facts it works too well because apparently one of the side effects of being ressurected is that you cannot swim and get an irrational fear of open water, and the ringwraiths drown in an aberrant seasonal river flooding.
    unfortunately for gandalf, he dies in moria, and when sauron ressurects him,
    a secondary more personal objective for gandalf is that now he must avoid oceans and big rivers and water if he can, because as a resurrectee he can't swim and has an irrational fear of open water. though he hides it well.
    gandalf adroitly and clandestinely swithces back to the other side and eventually gets a ship's fare to the western lands of the elves where hopefully he'll get to spread more mischief.
    It has already been pointed out that rivers aren't always such a problem for resurected beings like the ringwraights and alledgedly Gandalf. But how would you explain an irrational fear of open water and then crossing an Ocean at the end of the movie like Gandalf did.

No it seems to me that Frodo himself was the mastermind behind the whole quest. He insisted to carry the ring to Mordor at the counsel of Elron. He isolated Boromir and then fled when the Saurons' minions attacked. He would've staged a coup to dispose of Sauron and take his place by using the power of the ring in the place of it's origin. If it wasn't for Golem, he would even have succeded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Hey! I have one of those too!

(Sorry if the inappropriate material here is against the rules.)

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

So while Louis, Decker and Fahad correctly displayed the beginning of the LOTR, and the underlying tensions, I present to you the ending:

Also, this may strain the forum rules a bit too much, hence the spoilers. Remove if necessary.

(Consider it removed - Beirut)
    Last edited by Beirut; 01-14-2008 at 22:36.
    I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

Where do you get those things? They're hilarious.
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!

So while Louis, Decker and Fahad correctly displayed the beginning of the LOTR, and the underlying tensions, I present to you the ending:

Hope it's not too much of a strain on the eyes.

ROFL!

Now THAT'S how it should have ended.

(Quoted text edited - Beirut)
    Last edited by Beirut; 01-14-2008 at 22:37.

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Made me laugh for 10 min straight...

Awesome stuff!!
    Last edited by Beefy187; 01-14-2008 at 13:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Boromir fanboys!
    This space intentionally left blank

This place called Mars... do you know of it?

Lol that was hilarious!!!
    I got a few more for ya:

Not sure about this one:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

"No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."

All us men suffer in equal parts, it's our lot in life, and no man goes without a broken heart or a lost love. Like holding your dog as he takes his last breath and dies in your arms, it's a rite of passage. Unavoidable. And honestly, I can't imagine life without that depth of feeling.-Bierut

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Gentlemen,

Discretion, please.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peasant Phill
    If it wasn't for Golem, he would even have succeded.
    Golem? I'm confused

Wasn't the creature for lotr named 'Gollem'?

btw, Fahad: lol... 'wanna blow the horn of gondor'... lol..
    - Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drisos
    Golem? I'm confused

Wasn't the creature for lotr named 'Gollem'?

btw, Fahad: lol... 'wanna blow the horn of gondor'... lol..
    Well you didn't think a little mutant hobbit had stopped the ring-bearer, did you?

No wonder such a creature would be hard to spot in the mines of Moria, it would blend in perfectly. Spied on the Fellowship for a little while and then isolated Frodo...

You're forgeting about Sauron's Zapdos...
    Last edited by Rhyfelwyr; 01-15-2008 at 00:31.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

A Confused Asian Member Ayachuco's Avatar
    In the No Man's Land between Homelessness and abject Poverty

I present to you a parody of the Boromir Catapult Idea Parody

And these two are my favorites...Star Wars and LOTR.

This one has one bad word and two bad word euphenisms.
    Through the ages every weapon has evolved from two basic design philosophies, either a rock or a sharp pointy stick.

"We're not Communists, we're not pinko... we can't be, 'cause you pay to come and see us and we sell t-shirts at our gigs". Cedric Bixler-Zavala of At the Drive-In
    “I grew an afro. Not only did it make me cool, but it did wonders for my career. Oh, and I can get chicks now, too.” Omar Rodriguez-Lopez

Awesome thread....
    Mod leader of Warhammer; Total War

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Gandalf probably is a double agent. He became disillusioned with the Elves three thousand years earlier, in a freak accident...

...involving being kicked into a pit full of Persians.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'll say it again, this is a truly awesome thread.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast