Thread: Koinon Hellenon?

Default Koinon Hellenon?

"Koinon Hellenon" should be "Koinon Ellenon", due to the fact that greeks of that time didn't use the /h/ sound (even further back in history, however, they did); the eta letter (H) was, at the start of EB's timeframe, pronunced "e".

Sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koine_Greek
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H

Edit: Changed "ê" to "e".
    Last edited by Brynjolfr; 01-13-2008 at 22:48.

Default Re: Koinon Hellenon?

I do not think the R:TW engine allows special signs in names, eg é, è, ê, etc.
    This space intentionally left blank.

That (the special characters) is not really a problem: see the Eastern names for some serious spelling [try and spell the names of 5 Iranian units correctly without looking things up]. We could add Greek characters, but we would have to cut the accents: the font we (aka the engine) use does not contain those (making it kinda pointless).

What the OP seems to overlook though, is the fact it is convention with transcriptions to stick to the customs of the 'receiving language' rather than those of the the original language. Especially so with Greek, it is almost a law to render the spirius asper (which the Greeks themselves used for the purpose in any case) or any other -h- sound with an h. So aspirated consonants and vowels receive an additional -h- to preserve the original sound better; hence the fact that the phi is written as -ph- rather than -f-. And if memory serves H for -h- sound was actually still in use by EB's timeframe. (More old-style Dorian dialects.)

--

Apart from this there are numerous instances of omega and omikron transcriptions, in that case we can either go with additional accents, or as -in the case of Greek- is more common: to ingore the difference, at let this remain a matter to keep in mind for the audience. An example of this would be the fact that Parmenion is -to my knowledge- always rendered as Parmenion in English, even though it requires you to know that the -o- should be pronounced as in 'so' or 'know' (prolonged, pure vowel though).
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 01-13-2008 at 23:45.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

They did have an aspirate though - the easiest way of showing it is that Greek words adopted into Latin have "h"s in front of them.

"Whilst the symbol "H" and its consonantal value dropped out of general use after the introduction of the Ionic alphabet, the presence of initial aspiration continued to be indicated by the substitution of the aspirated phi, theta, and chi, for the unaspirated final pi, tau, and kappa, before words beginning with the aspirate - e.g., "kath ekaston" = "kata +(h)ekaston". Even allowing for the conservative spelling of stereotyped phrases, practice in this respect testifies to the retention of the initial aspiration until about the 2nd c. AD. The loss of "H" seems in fact to be roughly contemporaneous with the development of the aspirated plosives to fricatives, and the two developments could well be connected.... That "H" had been lost, as in modern Greek, by the 4c. AD is indicated by its frequent omission or misplacement in Gothic transcriptions." - from Vox Graeca.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

from Vox Graeca
    Too expensive for me ATM.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

There are those who would argue it shouldn't be Koinon Hellenon, but Hellenic Council or something.
    It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
    Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-Sir Winston Churchill
    ΔΟΣ ΜΟΙ ΠΑ ΣΤΩ ΚΑΙ ΤΑΝ ΓΑΝ ΚΙΝΑΣΩ--Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth.-Archimedes on his work with levers
    Click here for my Phalanx/Aquilifer mod

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Greek Cities!
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

SPAAARRTAAAA!!!!
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Quote Originally Posted by TWFanatic
    There are those who would argue it shouldn't be Koinon Hellenon, but Hellenic Council or something.
    Why?! What, exactly, do you think Koinon may mean?
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Descendant of great Herakles Member Torvus's Avatar

Koinon means something along the lines of league, or federation.

Some people say I'm heartless. Shows what they know. I have three in a jar on my desk!

Among other things.
    - Tellos Athenaios