Thread: Patch for STW gold?

Default Patch for STW gold?

Hi all, first post and am a little confused...

I bought the total war era boxed set this last weekend and started with Shogun, since it was the first game in the series. However, I've been trying to patch the game with the patch given off of the total war website but it says that it cannot locate my copy of shogun: total war on my computer. I then figure I can simply install it in the same directory, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

My question is, can I use the regular shogun patch or do I need a special one since I have the "gold" edition (which incorporates both Shogun and the mongol invasion).

Thanks

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Default Re: Patch for STW gold?

Hi, and welcome!

www.mizus.com

go to 'files'
    go to '3ddownloads'
    go to 'stw we'
    go to 'patches'

Now you get a list of patches for Shogun. but not all are correct. Counting from bottom to top, you'll want either no3 or no4. So the 'ShogunWv1.02_Euro.exe' or the 'ShogunWv1.02_Asia.exe'.

Of course, that depens on where you live. Pick one. (simple, pick asia if you live in asia, pick euro if you live anywhere else)
    then, click the 'download from ..' link.

now, 'Save' this file in the same folder Shogun is installed in. After downloading, click it and follow the instructions. Then it should work!

Good luck!
    and, enjoy!

- Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

Okay, thanks for the speedy response and the help! Definitely much appreciated. I would assume this is the most "recent" patch for the game as well...correct?

I'm definitely thinking this game is kick ass! I'm a little overwhelmed, but it's fricken cool. Still have no strategy in the battles map. It's basically, outnumber them, hit them with arrows, charge with spearmen and then have my daimo roll up the flank and chase them down when they run away.

Also, are the tutorials and game manuals meant to be written badly because I have gotten no help from either of them. The whole use of the "grand" (army) formations makes zero sense to me as my guys always just wander around anyways. How do I reinforce units that have taken casualties? I have no idea! Is there anyway to actually set a "facing" direction for each formation or do you have to click 10000 times to get them facing the correct direction. A little frustrating, but still, looks like a wicked game!

You're welcome.

Well, this is 1.02, there is a 1.03 as well, but I don't recall any technical improvements. it's just other unit stats, and 1.02 were the most common(it was het main patch used in multiplayer), and the 1.02 patch is easily found on internet. 1.03 would be harder, though possible, I guess.

This game, indeed, kicks ass! The graphics may be old.. but for the rest... the superb complex strategy in battles, the great atmosphere of the game, Japan in the Middle Ages was a perfect scenario for this perfect game.

The more experienced you'll get, the difficultier the strategy in battles will become. you will learn more and more about what's strong and what's weak, when to do what exactly, etc etc etc. It's waaay too much to just write in a few minutes. So, if you have specific questions/trouble, go ahead and ask, and plenty of people will have good information for you.

Some basic tips for in battles.. well, create a line of archers in front, a line of spearman (perferably samurai, not ashigaru) behind. If you defend, get high ground and stay there. If you attack, try to avoid attacking uphill. If you have superior firepower, do not charge with the spearmen, but keep firing with your archers. If the enemy charges you archers, rush forward the spearmen to protect them. If you do not have superior firepower, you'll have to attack, because, if you wait, you'll only be shot down. try to catch and kill his archers, so you have more firepower again, or just, skip the entire firepower phase and defeat his army with a charge.

Important!

*Do not let any unit fight alone, use your army as one!
    *Take or keep the high ground!
    *Keep your general alive! (death would mean lower morale immediately)
    *Try to attack enemies in the back. This is easily done with cavalry, because they are fast. (so, you daimyo now) Attack with your yari's, circle round him with your daimyo and attack him in the back. Usually, his men will run, and you can indeed chase them down.

That should help, for now.

You cannot reinforce units that have taken casulties. You can merge two damaged units though, usually one will be 'normal' again and the other one will have even fewer men left. this is just done by clicking and dragging.

Avoid having units on rough terrain, (in forest), or mixed up with other units. (like a few men of one unit are standing in the way of another unit). because, these things will cause your men to wander around.

there is a way of changing the 'facing' direction. (luckily!) I'm not sure though, haven't played in a while now.. let's imagine playing a game and having to change direction.. hmmm... try clicking with the right mouse button at whatever you want your men to look at, while holding alt. so, hold alt, and rightclick in the right direction. you can hold the right mouse button too, and drag. (you will see a preview of how your men will stand, so you can let go of the mouse button when you like their position)

another simple method, use left mouse button, don't click, but hold and drag. you'll see what happens. you'll see a preview. by moving, you can change the number of rows/columns, and the direction they're looking at. just try, you'll find out yourself.

learn these keryboard and mouse skills! practise with them, try all sorts of things, etc. it's vital for your ability to get from your men what you need in short time.

good luck!

Edit: puzz3d will know more about difference between 1.02 and 1.03.. and I guess he still reads here now and then, so he might clarify things.

Thanks Drisos for all the advice!

I m pretty new to Shogun although I have been playing MTW VI. This game is certainly a whole new experience.
    A single leaf falls,
    then suddenly another,
    stolen by the breeze

RANSETSU (1654-1707)

That was just the tip of the iceberg. I tried out RTW, later on, but was disappointed by the relatively 'very simple' battles it had.

theblahmaster: I'm curious, you got the patching stuff sorted out?

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Hello theblahmaster,

The era series is released long after STW hit the store, even after the last titles like RTW did. I guess all of them already are patched to the latest version?
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Both STW gold and the STW in Eras are already patched to v1.02. They come up as v1.0, but they are really v1.02.

Tone down the overpowered guns and you'll have a better gaming experience. Do that by editing Projectiles.txt and replacing the two entries for guns with this:

Arquebus
    {
    0, 15, 4000, 200, 0.07, 4.0, 30, 1, 0
    }

Musket
    {
    0, 15, 5000, 250, 0.12, 4.0, 21, 1, 1
    }

The last number on the line prevents the gun from shooting in the rain if it's 0 or allows the gun to shoot in the rain with reduced effectiveness if it's a 1. If you want more effective guns, you could increase the power parameter (6th number). Going from 4.0 to 4.5 should give a very noticable increase. If you increase it to 5.0, I think you'll start getting into overpowered guns again. By overpowered I mean guns which don't require supporting units to protect them from frontal attack. If you want combined arms gameplay to continue after the arrival of guns then you don't want them to be too powerful.

Also, I would edit Troopstats.txt and reduce the armor of the heavy cavalry unit from 6 to 5. That's the 16th number on the line.

Alternatively, you could use the STW/MI v1.0 unit stats posted here and make the additional changes mentioned in the notes.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 01-17-2008 at 17:01.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Yeah, I couldn't get the patch to work, but if it says it's 1.0 and it's actually 1.2, then that's fine with me.

One thing I have learned though is that you can't "reinforce" units perse, but you can retrain units that have been damaged. Simply plonk them into a province where you can train units, open the training units box, click on your army, drag said unit into the box and viola! In 1 turn your unit has been reinforced and will have any extra upgrades on it (from armoury or swordsmith). Not sure how useful it is as you still lose your honour and such, but I learned something new through trial and error!

I had another question: how do you train naginata infantry? I can do the horsemen, but I have yet to figure out how to train these, supposedly, super bad ass guys.

As well, is it just because I'm playing the computer or do yari samauri and bowmen absolutely rule the field? Backed up by some heavy cav and some cav archers (who are awesome!), I can tend to clean up any battlefield. I understand that stuff like warrior monks are wicked, but they take so long to get to and by that point, I'm just really hurting for troops to hold my newly conquered lands.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by theblahmaster
    One thing I have learned though is that you can't "reinforce" units perse, but you can retrain units that have been damaged. Simply plonk them into a province where you can train units, open the training units box, click on your army, drag said unit into the box and viola! In 1 turn your unit has been reinforced and will have any extra upgrades on it (from armoury or swordsmith). Not sure how useful it is as you still lose your honour and such, but I learned something new through trial and error!
    If you have 2 depleted units of the same type, merge them together. Then repeat this process throughout the game as you continue to fight battles. That way you'll have at least a few units with high honour instead of a bunch of units with only average/mediocre honour.

I had another question: how do you train naginata infantry? I can do the horsemen, but I have yet to figure out how to train these, supposedly, super bad ass guys.
    Naginata infantry require a Large Castle, a Famous Spear Dojo, and an Armoury.

I don't know that I would call them "super bad ass", as they're rather slow and don't have great offensive stats. They're excellent defensive units, however -- they're great for holding a position and/or protecting missile units -- and they don't have very high build requirements (unlike Heavy Cavalry and Arquebusiers).

As well, is it just because I'm playing the computer or do yari samauri and bowmen absolutely rule the field? Backed up by some heavy cav and some cav archers (who are awesome!), I can tend to clean up any battlefield. I understand that stuff like warrior monks are wicked, but they take so long to get to and by that point, I'm just really hurting for troops to hold my newly conquered lands.
    Yari Samurai and Samurai Archers are, indeed, pretty solid units overall....especially when you factor in their relatively low training cost. Compared to their brethren (i.e., spearmen & archers) in the other Total War games, YS & SA are reasonably decent fighters in melee. This is especially true if they have any honour upgrades (whether from battle and/or from being trained in a Famous/Legendary Dojo). So no, it's not just you that's noticed them.

Heck, even Yari Ashigaru aren't half-bad as long as they're used properly. I have a current Hojo campaign going where a few of my YA units have a ton of honour....just from either holding bridges, and/or having withstood infantry/cavalry charges long enough for me to flank the enemy. They're actually quite effective if you know what to do with them.
    Last edited by Martok; 01-23-2008 at 08:21.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Quote Originally Posted by Martok
    I don't know that I would call them "super bad ass", as they're rather slow and don't have great offensive stats.
    The "Super Bad Ass" was superceded by the "Heavy War Donkey", this can be trained by building the Legendary Donkey Stables in Satsuma province.

If you have 2 depleted units of the same type, merge them together. Then repeat this process throughout the game as you continue to fight battles.
    The depleted units have to be in the same army stack. You select the stack, and then using hold left click you can drag one unit onto another and release. If they are of the same type they will merge up to the maximum size (normally 60 men). Any men left over can be merged with another unit of the same type. The unit leader of the combined unit is the man in the unit your are dropping the other unit on to. For instance, if you want to increase the number of men in a depleted, general's unit you drop a unit of the same type onto the general's unit.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Cool Re: Patch for STW gold?

"Super bad ass" = Naginata infantry + Supporting Archers + Defending a Bridge.

"Super suck ass" = Naginata infantry + Supporting Archers + Attacking a map with a double line of muskets + flanking cavalry.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

They're strong! But not always very useful. I rarely train them in campaigns, and in multiplayer I used them only a couple of times.
    Point is, they are soooo slow, they're quite useless when you have to move, attack, etc. When you're playing stationary, defending a small territory, defending ranged units with them, then they are fine. (and more useful then ys)

Yet, I'd recommend not to use them too much right now. In a campaign, it's much safer just making ys. They are fine for such situations as well, and don't turn into useless when you have to move/attack. ;)

Hehe. Very good! No matter how far I get in a campaign, I keep using YS and SA. They're cheap, aren't shot down too fast, and can kill loads if used well. Of course, SA especially shoots down YA, ND and WM. Yari's kill especially cavalry. But good things are, these two never lose really hard against any other unit.

I always loved getting a few units of yari/naginata cavalry, to flank them, or chase them down afterwards. Warrior Monks are good, but are really expensive, have few armour, and they don't have much more benefit over YS besides being slightly stronger. I usually had a few of them as well, though. (wm or nd) I loved armies with like 6 SA, 4 YS, 2 WM and 4 cav. (something like that :P)

Btw, how are you using your Cavalry Archers? I always liked them because they were much more mobile then normal archers. I used them just like my normal archers, but evading incoming enemies was easier and I could use them to chase down enemies at the end of battle. They're pretty expensive though. I never used them for hit-and-run tactics, or whatever necessary to break the enemy formation.

Hi everyone, I bought shogun total war gold edition some years ago, played and loved it but since then I've got a new PC with vista on ( I know it sucks lol) and I couldn't get my old copy to work. Determined as I am to play it again I purchased another copy, only to find I have the same problem.

The game loads but as soon as I try to play a campaign it stops running and crashes. If anyone has any advice on how to get it working it would be greatly appreciated :) .

P.S. I have tried EA's website already and no joy.

Senior Member Senior Member Rath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kensei
    Hi everyone, I bought shogun total war gold edition some years ago, played and loved it but since then I've got a new PC with vista on ( I know it sucks lol) and I couldn't get my old copy to work. Determined as I am to play it again I purchased another copy, only to find I have the same problem.

The game loads but as soon as I try to play a campaign it stops running and crashes. If anyone has any advice on how to get it working it would be greatly appreciated :) .

Sorry can't help with your enquiry mate but does STW gold allow you to play the original STW campaign withOUT naginata cav and the armour/weapon upgrades that came with the expansion ?

I lost my original box (well a "mate" lost it - should have forced him to commit seppeku but anyway...) and saw the gold edition in the shops today. Didn't fancy the expansion much though. Asked this guy the same question and he tried to google the answer, so I directed him to the .org (more ad revenue for the mods ;) ), he's got it on hold for me for a couple days so if anyone could answer me I'd very much appreciate it!

Cheers,

Rath

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rath
    Sorry can't help with your enquiry mate but does STW gold allow you to play the original STW campaign withOUT naginata cav and the armour/weapon upgrades that came with the expansion ?

I lost my original box (well a "mate" lost it - should have forced him to commit seppeku but anyway...) and saw the gold edition in the shops today. Didn't fancy the expansion much though. Asked this guy the same question and he tried to google the answer, so I directed him to the .org (more ad revenue for the mods ;) ), he's got it on hold for me for a couple days so if anyone could answer me I'd very much appreciate it!

Cheers,

Rath
    STW Gold is essentially the same as the Warlord Edition....which means you would be playing the campaign that includes Naginata Cavalry, Battlefield Ninja, etc. Sorry, mate.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Senior Member Senior Member Rath's Avatar

Unhappy Re: Patch for STW gold?

STW Gold is essentially the same as the Warlord Edition....which means you would be playing the campaign that includes Naginata Cavalry, Battlefield Ninja, etc. Sorry, mate.

I'll have to resort to a second hand copy off amazon I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Kensei

Try this:

Locate the .exe file that runs the game. so, shogunw.exe
    Right click it
    click properties
    click compatibility
    enable 'run this program in the following compatibily mode'
    select windows 98

click ok

Then try again. This is a basic solution that seems to help for some software, not for others.. well, good luck! If doesn't help, I have no clue how to help you.