Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Villains in Movies

Default Villains in Movies

What the hell...? Why the hell do villains in movies always WAIT before they destroy their foe which they have finally captured? For instance look at those (terribly unrealistic exaggerated romantic) James Bond movies: just KILL him already when you have him before you, don't wait! If I were one of those villains I'd have simply put a nice good bullet into his head right away, but in the movies nööööööö.... they must always stop and talk to them or something like that. You have the foe, so just destroy him swiftly already! Arrrgh!
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

Default Re: Villains in Movies

Its the evil ego. It prevents them just "poppin' a cap".

Still with amount of times that they could have knocked off James Bond it would have been a pretty short series.

What about the poor evil genius that keep getting foiled by a bunch of pesky kids and a stoner dog? That must suck.
    "My IQ test came back. Thankfully it was negative"

Been to:

A Confused Asian Member Ayachuco's Avatar
    In the No Man's Land between Homelessness and abject Poverty

Well, what about Scaramanga and his Battle of the Guns duel with James Bond? I think its the best example, IMHO. My Golden Gun and its one bullet v.s your PPK and its seven bullets. Although, personally I wouldn't have ran away or would have even challenge him to duel in the first place.
    Through the ages every weapon has evolved from two basic design philosophies, either a rock or a sharp pointy stick.

"We're not Communists, we're not pinko... we can't be, 'cause you pay to come and see us and we sell t-shirts at our gigs". Cedric Bixler-Zavala of At the Drive-In
    “I grew an afro. Not only did it make me cool, but it did wonders for my career. Oh, and I can get chicks now, too.” Omar Rodriguez-Lopez

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hence the great scene in Austin Powers:

Dr. Evil: "Scott, I'd like you to meet Daddy's nemisis, Austin Powers."

Scott: "Psh, what, are you feeding him? Why not shoot him now?"

Dr. Evil: "No, Scott, I've got a better plan. I'm going to place him in an easily escapable situation involving an overly elaborate and exotic death."*holds up pinkie to mouth in trademark fasion

God, what a great movie.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

While we're on the subject, are there any serious films (not in the comedy stylings of Austin Powers) where the bad guy actually wins?

I like depressing films like that.

Don't know why, it's an odd fascination i have with everything going terribly wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

Mikeus, alot of Asian dramas seem to offer to very harsh or at best bitter-sweet endings. But not alot of outright Evil Man pwns kinda way, the way Good Guys often win in more Western flicks. I guess you might need to go for movies like Snatch or Pulp Fiction where everyone is a scum bag, just some more likeable than others.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Cool Re: Villains in Movies

Yes a lot of fantasy-martial art Asian movies end with the heroic guy and girl going separate ways.

Now that is the biggest fantasy of the all. We are supposed to believe that in the most populous nations in the world they never ever get it on.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Because it would be a sucky movie?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Well if it was that sucky it would be x-rated.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

A Confused Asian Member Ayachuco's Avatar
    In the No Man's Land between Homelessness and abject Poverty

O_o

*insert dirty joke here*

Last edited by Ayachuco; 01-16-2008 at 05:55.
    Through the ages every weapon has evolved from two basic design philosophies, either a rock or a sharp pointy stick.

"We're not Communists, we're not pinko... we can't be, 'cause you pay to come and see us and we sell t-shirts at our gigs". Cedric Bixler-Zavala of At the Drive-In
    “I grew an afro. Not only did it make me cool, but it did wonders for my career. Oh, and I can get chicks now, too.” Omar Rodriguez-Lopez

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

I can't believe no has linked the Top 100 things I'd do if I ever became an evil overlord.

It's THE checklist if you're planning something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeus Caesar
    While we're on the subject, are there any serious films (not in the comedy stylings of Austin Powers) where the bad guy actually wins?

Don't know why, it's an odd fascination i have with everything going terribly wrong.
    You'll love this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063032/

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Hmm the only one I can think of is The Usual Suspects. Great movie.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Off the top of my head:

Se7en (the bad guy kinda wins in a way)
    Swordfish (the bad guy kinda wins in a way)
    Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back (and it is the best episode exactly for that reason)
    Fight Club
    The Usual Suspects
    the Final Destination movies (again..kinda)
    Devils Advocate (again...kinda)
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

There's one bad guy (the only one I remember right now) that never lets a person slip, Edward Longshanks. Right when he got Wallace, "Execute him!!", a villain definately not to be messed with.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Skelenton Key is a good film for a really nasty ending just thinking abot it makes me cringe, 28 weeks later and any of the Saw films.
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

I know one, I know one: Carlito's Way!

I obviously liked it so much I even remember it's name.
    Okay, if that wasn't convincing, it's starring Al Pacino.

As to the original question, you're talking about movies here, Bijo.
    To make that more clear, in that movie that had "Tears of the sun" or so they had this airstrike in the end which basically consisted of the following footage IIRC: jets taking off a carrier without any payload -> different jets(I forgot which type but I think they showed F-18s and then F-14s then F-18s again or so) flying through the air, then you had jets fire Sidewinders, which as we all know are air-to-air missiles which resulted in some sort of napalm inferno on the ground.
    It was so wrong I got the impression they just got some clips from the internet and inserted them.

Point is, movies don't have to make sense as long as they have a lot of boom-boom and ja-ja-ich komme thrown in.

I mean it would be nice if they had some logic, but either that doesn't sell well or someone always thinks illogical things improve the story.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

Braveheart is disqualified because it actually happened, more or less, so the writers had to stick to history. Wallace still got a pretty elaborate death, but there was clearly no chance of escape or recovery, and it's elaborate nature was just to entertain the crowd.

Plus, there was no bad guy in Fight Club, or good guy for that matter. Plenty of ambiguous movies in this vein where winning and losing, and being good or bad, are themselves called into question, but that's not the point.

Pan's Labyrinth is another one where the bad guys win, even if their representative on site is killed. We all know what happened to the anti-Franco rebels.

I'd say the bad guys win in the first Resident Evil movie too, given the nature of the last scene.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Pan's Labyrint, spanish fantasy-movie that's simply incredible. He does't really 'win' but he stays, and you will hate every inch of him, very cruel movie be warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramses II CP
    Braveheart is disqualified because it actually happened, more or less, so the writers had to stick to history. Wallace still got a pretty elaborate death, but there was clearly no chance of escape or recovery, and it's elaborate nature was just to entertain the crowd.

Braveheart's writers stuck to history? That's a joke, there are countless historical inaccuracies included.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fahad I
    Braveheart's writers stuck to history? That's a joke, there are countless historical inaccuracies included.
    Let's start with a certain bridge hehe

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Well, things going wrong and the bad guy winning are two different things. There are plenty of movies that have "unhappy" endings, but there's no bad guy winning in them. Examples (spoilered because knowing a film will have an unhappy ending can be a spoiler by itself):

Movies with an unhappy ending:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The Deer Hunter
    Requiem for a Dream
    Leaving Las Vegas
    Brazil
    Aguirre: The Wrath of God
    Memento
    12 Monkeys
    Easy Rider
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    Dr. Strangelove (comedy, including the ending, but also very political and frickin' brilliant on all levels)
    Barry Lyndon (depending on what you think of the main character)
    Paths of Glory
    A Clockwork Orange (yes, Kubrick disliked Hollywood endings)
    The Thing

Movies where a bad guy actually wins:
    Angel Heart
    The Omen
    Rosemary's Baby (yay for the Satan hat trick!)
    Silence of the Lambs (kind of)
    Hannibal (also kind of)
    Primal Fear (Brilliant ending!)
    Fallen
    Arlington Road
    Every single Cube movie
    Last edited by TinCow; 01-17-2008 at 13:19.

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

Note that I said 'more or less' with regards to Braveheart and history. They followed the gist, particularly including the execution of Wallace, which was the part in question.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago." Classic.

Some great ones off the top of my head are...
    Brazil (though I like to think Lowry won), Twelve Monkeys, Easy Rider, Barry Lyndon (much underrated classic by Kubrick), Ran (throughly depressing all the way through), Kagemusha, Thelma & Louise, The Butterfly Effect, Midnight Cowboy (brilliant), Falling Down ... Plenty to go around. Underground is pretty depressing a lot of the later half, but doesn't quite count as an unhappy film.

A somewhat more interesting question, in my opinion, is if there are any computer games with a definite bad ending? I know Kane & Lynch can't have a happy ending, but any others?
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Cool Re: Villains in Movies

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin
    Off the top of my head:

Se7en (the bad guy kinda wins in a way)
    Swordfish (the bad guy kinda wins in a way)
    Devils Advocate (again...kinda)
    Se7en... the bad guy wins because he gets the outcome that he desired,
    he dies at the hands of Wrath.

Swordfish... they aren't the bad guys. Don't you know that the guys who waterboard, use extraordinary rendition and imprison without charge are the good guys.
    Devils Advocate... the bad guy actually loses.
    He's trying to get a child out of the deal and his lead donor blows his brains out, why at that point he didn't collect the testes and do a bit of IVF... see that's the problem with fundamentalists they deny themselves all sorts of technologies because if god had meant them to have wings they would fly.

Going to the land where men walk without footprints.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey S
    A somewhat more interesting question, in my opinion, is if there are any computer games with a definite bad ending? I know Kane & Lynch can't have a happy ending, but any others?
    Max Payne 2 comes to mind

And does the butterfly effect has a bad ending? I thougt it was a good one for the hero, though not the best.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Taking your time to kill your enemy is not a sign of stupidity. Is it in any way strange that you try to enjoy a moment that you've been working for like, one to two hours? And there's nothing wrong with doing it in an imaginative way, since the chance that you get to kill your archenemy again is slight at best. A single gunshot? GAH!
    As for the "fact" that it usually goes wrong that way, perhaps they just don't watch as many movies as you do. These people actually have jobs, remember.

The amount of prejudice and scorn in this thread is simply astonishing.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    Pan's Labyrint, spanish fantasy-movie that's simply incredible. He does't really 'win' but he stays, and you will hate every inch of him, very cruel movie be warned.
    I thought it was an excellent movie, but I didn't end up hating Vidal in the slightest. You could see he loved his son, and wanted his son to admire him, and putting down rebels in that area would have been an insanely tough and stressful job. Even if you don't like him (and liking him is damn near impossible), he's still an interesting character if you look at his depth.

A movie I've just thought of was The Wind That Shakes The Barley. I found it to be a well-made movie, and nobody really wins in the end. What an ending though...what an ending.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conradus
    Max Payne 2 comes to mind

And does the butterfly effect has a bad ending? I thougt it was a good one for the hero, though not the best.
    Max Payne 2... perhaps, but even that had the alternate happy ending.

The Butterfly Effect varies:
    I think it depends on the version, since there are several possible endings. The one I saw is that he strangles himself in his mother's womb, and never exists. Bad for him, perhaps good for the rest. There are happier versions.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

"The Departed"

The bad guy doesn't win but neither does the good guy. I won't give anything else away. Go out and watch it. It's a great movie.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast