Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Guys in Movies

Default Black Guys in Movies

Ya know, there was a time when I watched many movies, and you know what I often noticed back then? Black guys always died first! What the...? Is it some kind of rule to let them die first???
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Black Guys in Movies

Gives that little bit of extra to the victim part, hey it's hollywood. Night of the Living Dead was legendary because the hero was black, in the end he still gets shot. It's symbolism, I can think of a few bit more chiche's.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

To weird you out even more; Which of the (good) transformers was first to be destroyed in the Transformers movie?

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

It's one of many Hollywood cliches. My personal favorite is the smokin' hot scientist, who is invariably in her early twenties, who just happens to have the vaccine/know the code/defuse the nuclear device/have expertise in the monster/etc.

She usually winds up macking on the hero.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

'Hey now, i seen this film before, the black guy always dies first!'

Great film. It has all the hollywood cliches you could want, including the 'black guy dies first' cliche.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Matrix? Morpheus survived...
    Last edited by Beefy187; 01-19-2008 at 02:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Terrible terrible joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    It's one of many Hollywood cliches. My personal favorite is the smokin' hot scientist, who is invariably in her early twenties, who just happens to have the vaccine/know the code/defuse the nuclear device/have expertise in the monster/etc.

She usually winds up macking on the hero.
    Funny how smart they are, with being a year out of grad school. And looking like models.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Now now, that isn't always true. Think of Snakes on a Plane. There were many black guys in that movie and not a single one of them died.

Deep blue( errr one of those shark kill every one movies, you know where they testing sharks to find cure for cancer and the whole facility goes under) the black guy that wears glasses saves to the two white people and lives in the end
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit
    To weird you out even more; Which of the (good) transformers was first to be destroyed in the Transformers movie?

CR
    Bad example. Jazz was the only Autobot who died. Bumblebee only got his legs blown off, totally fixable. Plus Jazz wasn't the first Transformer to die overall. That honour goes to Bonecrusher.
    Last edited by lars573; 01-23-2008 at 06:13.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

CR
    And why does everyone assume he is black despite him not being a black Transformer? Think about the stereotyping issues there!
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Blog Entries

And why does everyone assume he is black despite him not being a black Transformer? Think about the stereotyping issues there!
    Ahem.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

I know, but the Transformer itself is not black...
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

I can't say I'm entirely comfortable with this.

If anyone has a problem with this thread, PM me and it will come down.
    Unto each good man a good dog

This is a backroom thread IMHO as it discusses the issue of race and racial stereotyping in the media.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

And done. Thank you.

To the Backroom and awaaaaayyyyyy!
    Unto each good man a good dog

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jkarinen
    Deep blue( errr one of those shark kill every one movies, you know where they testing sharks to find cure for cancer and the whole facility goes under) the black guy that wears glasses saves to the two white people and lives in the end
    The black guy doesn't die in a movie about the ocean? That's gotta be double points against the movie stereotype.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Black people in american movies do seem to have a very limited number of roles available to them. They're usually either comedy actors in movies that are aimed at a black audience, the white cop's partner or they play the typical gangster/prisoner types.

In anything not in this category they tend to be the black guy that dies first or the black guy that dies second (after the hacker/geek/bespectacled secondary scientist/techy guy has died). There are few black actors that have broken out of this and those that have done for the most part still had to do all of this kind of thing in the early part of their career.

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caravel
    Black people in american movies do seem to have a very limited number of roles available to them. They're usually either comedy actors in movies that are aimed at a black audience, the white cop's partner or they play the typical gangster/prisoner types.

In anything not in this category they tend to be the black guy that dies first or the black guy that dies second (after the hacker/geek/bespectacled secondary scientist/techy guy has died). There are few black actors that have broken out of this and those that have done for the most part still had to do all of this kind of thing in the early part of their career.
    Eddy Murphy? Wesley Snipes? Danny Glover? Will Smith? Do they fit your description?
    Last edited by Adrian II; 01-23-2008 at 18:00.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Black guy in movies - yeah they got it tough I will agree.

But not as bad as the security guys on Satr Trek.

Man there is no way I would head down on some god-forsaken planet with Will Shatner if I was wearing a red tunic. It may as well have been a bulls eye!

If you happened to be black and waring a red shirt - my condolances to your family.
    "My IQ test came back. Thankfully it was negative"

Been to:

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian II
    Eddy Murphy? Wesley Snipes? Danny Glover? Will Smith? Do they fit your description?
    Welll.....

Arguably the most well known roles Murphy, Glover, and Smith have played have been of the "white cop's partner" variety...
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

@Goofball: Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian II
    Well done for naming the few rare exceptions though Eddy Murphy, originally a talented stand up artist, has starred in pretty much nothing but banal "comedies" in the twilight years of his career. They deserve some credit of course because they all broke the mould at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Diablo
    But not as bad as the security guys on Satr Trek.
    Don't even go there... The motto is if you're on an away team with William Shatner, check the colour of your shirt.

Last edited by caravel; 01-23-2008 at 21:28.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Black Guys in Movies

There are few black actors that have broken out of this
    B..but there are also black actors who write, produce and star in their own movie!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff
    The black guy doesn't die in a movie about the ocean? That's gotta be double points against the movie stereotype.
    there are 2 black guys on that movie....

one dies half-way through (he is the top star of the movie...which I thought took some balls to kill that character off)...but the other one does survive and in fact kinda saves the day at the end.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Wink Re: Black Guys in Movies

Quote Originally Posted by El Diablo
    If you happened to be black and waring a red shirt - my condolances to your family.
    Benjamin Sisko (Avery Brooks).
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio
    Benjamin Sisko (Avery Brooks).
    Greatest black guy of all time.

And definitely one of the best Star Trek captains of all time. In my view, definitely up there with Kirk and Picard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

@Goofball: Exactly.

Well done for naming the few rare exceptions though Eddy Murphy, originally a talented stand up artist, has starred in pretty much nothing but banal "comedies" in the twilight years of his career. They deserve some credit of course because they all broke the mould at some point.

Your 'few rare exceptions' are only the tip of the iceberg.

Denzel Washington, Forest Whitaker, Samuel Jackson, Laurence Fishburne, Don Cheadle, Morgan Freeman, Cuba Gooding Jr, James Earl Jones, Spike Lee, Sydney Poitier. Take a look on google, the list goes on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by Proletariat
    Denzel Washington, Forest Whitaker, Samuel Jackson, Laurence Fishburne, Don Cheadle, Morgan Freeman, Cuba Gooding Jr, James Earl Jones, Spike Lee, Sydney Poitier. Take a look on google, the list goes on and on.
    So where are the black women then?
    Apart from two or three they're all supressed, held like slaves in Hollywood for minor roles etc. I see America still hasn't overcome slavery, racism and chauvinism...

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Proletariat
    Your 'few rare exceptions' are only the tip of the iceberg.

All of which still fit the main categories as having been cast in the typical aforementioned roles at some point or other in their career. Basically almost all of these, including Freeman and Jackson, have become famous playing the stereotypical black gangster types. The only real notable exceptions there are Poitier and James Earl Jones. The rest of the black actors probably numbering in their thousands are still filling in playing gangsters, prisoners and criminals when the need arises for them. There isn't so great a need for black women actors as there aren't many white cop's black female partner type roles nor many, if any, female gangsta roles.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast