Thread: Beyond the Borders

With my head in the clouds and my feet on the ground

Default Beyond the Borders

As EB and EBII are currently already up against the hardcoded for just about everything, speculation about others regions, factions and units is often met with the necessary "it's hardcoded". This, as I said, is just the way it is, but we have still seen what an incredible job the team has done within these limits. This thread, however, is about "what if" the hardcoded limits were relaxed, within reason. For example, if CA (in a moment of divine generousity) released a patch with 30 extra territory, 5 new faction, and 70 new unit spots. Where, off the edges of the edges of the current map would you want EB to expand. This means that places like India, China, Central Asia and Africa are possible. From this, what factions, what units and so should be added in this situation. Obviously this isn't currently an option, but brainstorming is fun and can sometimes turn up new ways of getting around limits. So brainstorm here, but use reason and try to keep ideas at or off the edge of the current map. Have fun!

Chairman
    My balloons -

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Default Re: Beyond the Borders

If hardcoding was increased (decreased? ) ...India would probably be added. Other than that, more content would probably be added to the exsisting areas. If hardcoding was all that was changed on the exsisting Rome/M2 engine, it would still be unwise to increase beyond that.
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; 01-17-2008 at 02:13.

yo i think that it is true that expanding past india prolly would be bad...but you REALLY wouldn't add a *little* piece of china? kind of like how EB has a *little* piece of India now? It would be cool! you could have Broadsword-wielding shaolin monk eleutheroi!

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

The Shaolin temple wouldn't exist for another half a millenia plus you know... and the parts of China we'd actually end up with (given geography) would pretty much amount to the nomad-haunted wastelands of the Tarim Basin (the westernmost tip of which is in as is, IIRC) and the arid Tibetan plateau.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

China's population is concentrated to the East and in the river basins. Unless you want to see some dingy desert trade outpost, you're not going to find much interesting. Neither are you going to find much besides nomads in the 'Stan' regions.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

More Central Asia would be great. Plenty of pushing and shoving going on between Nomads there.

Also, Iceland. Just for kicks.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Hmmm...

Although China, India, and thye likes would make a great addition, I would think you would need a little more than 30 new provinces, I would rather say some 100 new provinces, at least. And 20 new factions...

How about atlantis?

seriously tho, I'd like to see a bit more of scandinavia
    Alcohol is the cause and solution to all of man's issues

Baloonz: by Pharnakles
    by Jebivjetar (es bastante loco)

I wish CA would make a TW Game that would cover everything from Iberia to Japan. They could call it "Ancient World: Total War"

Or maybe "1337: Total War" Lmao....

Quote Originally Posted by Moosemanmoo
    seriously tho, I'd like to see a bit more of scandinavia
    I don't think there was much to see up here those days, frankly. Doubly so past the parts already included in the EB1 map. (Ditto, more or less, for the rest of the northern forest zone to the east; it was virtually hunter-gatherers until the Middle Ages...)
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

I wouldn't mind a west African faction to be honest but I don't know how much info you have on them and since the map limits have already been already been reached, I don't know how much of a possibility that is.

As far as I know, they were rich and powerful.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Agreed. I forget the official EB position on a Numidian faction though... maybe its a possibility. I for one am tired of seeing Carthage suck up all the West African provinces in the first 15 game years.

MARMOREAM•RELINQUO•QUAM•LATERICIAM•ACCEPI

Do I want to go further south? (no)
    Do I want to go further north?(I don't want to see sea)
    Do I want to go further west? (I don't want to see sea)
    Do I want to go further east? (not really)

Therefore more settlements, more factions and lots more unitss would be on my wishlist.

totally agree with tom there. the map in EB was large enough for me personally, so i think more units, factions and other add-ins are all EB II really needs to be worrying about.
    Brothers in Arms- A Legionaries AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...86#post1853386

WotD 2D graphic Dude Member Gebeleisis's Avatar

india would make a fine adittion
    and maybe dont exted the map more (except india) but enlargen the map that is now so oyu can add more settlements without crowding :D

I hope people do understand that none of what people are suggesting is possible. This is a thread detailing what one would like to see where the hardcoded restrictions raised beyond their current number. More settlements are impossible, more units are impossible, etc.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Cool Re: Beyond the Borders

Quote Originally Posted by Foot
    I hope people do understand that none of what people are suggesting is possible. This is a thread detailing what one would like to see where the hardcoded restrictions raised beyond their current number. More settlements are impossible, more units are impossible, etc.

Foot
    Atlantis is a no then?
    Alcohol is the cause and solution to all of man's issues

Baloonz: by Pharnakles
    by Jebivjetar (es bastante loco)

People are aiming for historical accuracy here.
    ...everyone knows those guys has been defeated and absorbed by the Bartixians for centuries by the time period concerned.