Thread: 1.0 much harder than 0.8X?

Default 1.0 much harder than 0.8X?

A few days ago, I started a campaign with Makedonia on my usual difficulty levels, ie hard for campaign, and medium for battles. The initial problem for the Makedonians is that they have to fight a two-front war. Back in 0.8X, it was possible to first cripple the the Epeirotes by defeating them in a battle (they would still be bankrupt), and then focus on the Koinon Hellenon, to finally conquer the Epeirote holdings, and you have a nice little empire.

But not so this last time (with version 1.0). No matter how many armies I smashed, both the Epeirotes and the Koinon Hellenon were always able to rebuild their armies, and the Epeirotes also hired mercenaries. Being bankrupt as I was, my army slowly died out. I couldn't resist their countless attacks forever. When I had only Makedonia left, I gave it all up.

What has happened? How come it is so much harder in 1.0 than in 0.8X? Shouldn't the Koinon Hellenon and the Epeirotes go economically back in the beginning (at least they do when a human player starts a campaign with any of them)?

Default Re: 1.0 much harder than 0.8X?

Free cities around the human player have stronger garrisons in 1.0.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

That, but most of all that there's a nice scrip snippet which is intended to prevent the player from blitzing his two West-Greek neighbours as the third West-Greek faction. (The other two, non human factions get scripted bonus garrisons if the third one is a human controlled.)
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

That didn't prevented me from blitzing... On VH/M I took out the epirote army and proceded to take Athens and Sparta on the next turns while managing to get a hold on Northern Makedonia against the Epirotes. Now the Epirotes are more of a chalenge!

Cheers...

Master of Puppets Member hellenes's Avatar

Blitzing is same as usual...Ive exciled the Epeirots to Italy and KH to RHodes...after I took KH out by massacring Rhodes...However after growing to 30 provinces I have 9 star Ptolemies stacks coming my way and only bridges of Asia minor will stop them... :(
    Impunity is an open wound in the human soul.

ΑΙΡΕΥΟΝΤΑΙ ΕΝ ΑΝΤΙ ΑΠΑΝΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΑΡΙΣΤΟΙ ΚΛΕΟΣ ΑΕΝΑΟΝ ΘΝΗΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΔΕ ΠΟΛΛΟΙ ΚΕΚΟΡΗΝΤΑΙ ΟΚΩΣΠΕΡ ΚΤΗΝΕΑ

The best choose one thing in exchange for all, everflowing fame among mortals; but the majority are satisfied with just feasting like beasts.

I didn't have any trouble with my KH game. On another note, the EB difficulty rating says Pontos is really hard, but it's actually pretty easy (On H/M). Pavlah is another matter entirely. Tried it once. Almost scared to try again.

Pontos is easier now thanks to the highly powerful persian cav they get as bodyguards. Personally I never use my powerful cav bodyguards in melee unless the battle is teetering on a knife edge. I would be happy to keep them at a much lower number than they are now, as I feel they unfairly imbalance the game in the large numbers. I do use them to counter the enemies bodyguard units if the oppurtunity presents itself though.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Combustion Member beatoangelico's Avatar

I started and soon abandoned a Maks campaign on VH/M (I had returned to my Romani one), but in 2 battles, a siege and a field one, I had basically annihilated the KH, that was left with Sparta nearly unguarded and Rhodos. So it is far from impossible, maybe you need a bit of luck (the epirote stack near Pella sometimes is be aggressive but more often is more willing to return to Epiros itself) but is definitely doable

Quote Originally Posted by Foot
    Pontos is easier now thanks to the highly powerful persian cav they get as bodyguards. Personally I never use my powerful cav bodyguards in melee unless the battle is teetering on a knife edge. I would be happy to keep them at a much lower number than they are now, as I feel they unfairly imbalance the game in the large numbers. I do use them to counter the enemies bodyguard units if the oppurtunity presents itself though.

Foot

They really help when your outnumbered 3:1 against AS.