Thread: A question of honour

Default A question of honour

Ive never understood how the reputation system in M2TW has ever worked. And now it continues to confuse me: how can I avoid becoming an untrustworthy faction? And how can I improve my reputation? Cheers
    Brothers in Arms- A Legionaries AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...86#post1853386

Default Re: A question of honour

This is a very incomplete list:

You can improve your reputation by releasing prisoners after battles.

You can lose reputation by:
    Starting wars against coreligionists.
    Backstabbing your allies.
    Cancelling diplomatic agreements (except for when you have to drop an ally due to a declaration of war).
    Exterminating cities.
    If you give a city to a faction and reconquer it from the same faction.

You get a minor hit from sacking a city, but I can usually keep my "reliable" rep at medium difficulty regardless of that.

Nomad horse archer Member Barbarian's Avatar

"Untrustworthy" refers mostly on backstabbing your allies. You should never attack allied faction, if you don't want to become "Untrustworthy", you must first cancel the alliance.

"War is not so much a matter of weapons as of money"
    Thucydides

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarian
    "Untrustworthy" refers mostly on backstabbing your allies. You should never attack allied faction, if you don't want to become "Untrustworthy", you must first cancel the alliance.
    Even cancelling an alliance out of the blue will get a rep hit... If you ever intend to go at war with someone, either do not ally (ever !!) or force them to strike first...

Quote Originally Posted by Zaleukos
    Cancelling diplomatic agreements (except for when you have to drop an ally due to a declaration of war).
    Same here, being forced to choose between two of your allies going to war will almost always get you a rep hit (from my own experience) which is why you should refrain from allying with parties that are sure to go to war (like Byz and Turks for exemple...)
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Long lost Caesar
    Ive never understood how the reputation system in M2TW has ever worked. And now it continues to confuse me: how can I avoid becoming an untrustworthy faction? And how can I improve my reputation? Cheers
    A simple search for reputation on these boards will give you more info. I┤ve gathered info on this topic here: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...ght=Reputation

Even following all of the above, Ive never gotton above "Mixed" for my reputation.
    Harbour you unclean thoughts

Add me to X-Fire: quickening666

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

In one campaign in the Long Road Mod, I succeeded in allying with all factions in game and got up to Trustworthy until I was forced to make choices between my allies and got down to dubious...
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Never sack, never execute prisoners, never start war, never betray allies, and try to keep good relations (alliance preferably) with as many factions as possible. Also having a chivalry king seems to help.

Does having a high rep actually do anything? I really doubt high rep outweighs the benefits of backstabbing and sacking cities...

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

I am currently playing a house rules campaign (Total war for Independence) and acting chivalrously has gained my reputation all the way to very reliable and given me chivalrous generals all over the place busting my cities up to maximum population.

My allies are not betraying me because we are all fighting the same unchivalrous foes. The Moors, Milanese, and the HRE are all a bunch of backstabbers and my allies are helping me fight them. Or at least not betraying me. This is important because my last attempt failed when everyone in the world stabbed me at the same time, and under my house rules, I could not execute prisoners and they kept coming and coming, over and over... there was no way to push them back without cheating.

It was a war of attrition avoided by being a chivalrous knight rather than a deranged berserker.

In practical games or against very very powerful AI, rep means nothing. Only house rules make rep mean something.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

Zaleukos has a pretty completed list.

Some things to add:

Using lots of spies and assasins does affect it IIRC
    Exterminating/Ransoming(maybe)
    Not helping or chosing between allies as Tristan de Castelreng said
    Just plain starting a war too without provocation ie they attack you first

@Hoplite7

Higher reputation should make the AI be more eager to make diplomatic agreements with you.
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

that, and i just like to try and be chivalrous.
    Brothers in Arms- A Legionaries AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...86#post1853386

I think that being at war somehow makes the reputation stay down, and low reputation increases the risk of AI attacks.

So you might end up in a vicious circle by doing dishonourable deeds early on...

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan de Castelreng
    Same here, being forced to choose between two of your allies going to war will almost always get you a rep hit (from my own experience) which is why you should refrain from allying with parties that are sure to go to war (like Byz and Turks for exemple...)
    It does go down, but I got the impression that breaking an alliance that way is less costly in reputation than cancelling the alliance in the diplomacy screen (and way less costly than declaring war on your ally). When I want to attack an ally I usually try to order a crusade against them, wait for another ally to attack them, and only join the crusade only after I had to choose which alliance to keep. This seems to give a much smaller reputation hit than joining the crusade when still allied to the crusade target.

If the pope is young I also use crusades to complete the stupid "break alliance with excommed faction" missions, which otherwise are fairly costly in terms of reputation.

The difference in the first case could of course stem from the difference between the penalties for "cancelling alliance + declaring war" and "declaring war on ally".

Unfortunately it's largely guesswork on my part as I dont have a numerical value for reputation, but only the crudely discretised value in the diplomacy window...