Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Hot chicks in Antiquity?

Default Re: Hot chicks in Antiquity?

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
    Sounds like the search is more after healthy ladies now. I figure your best bet would be the aristocracy in any case, as the common folk everywhere tended to be various malnourished and severely overworked (leading to all kinds of deformities). The upper crust ought to also have gotten at least a passable supply of vitamines (from grapes and other fruits if nothing else) and hence avoided scurvy and similar complications, too.
    Healthy and fit is my idea of beauty. As to the rest, fair or tan, hair color, height, eye color, real or fake, etc. etc., that is just variety. Generally I prefer a slightly tanned, short, large natural breasted woman, but as long as they are healthy and fit they are beautiful in my opinion, and variety is the spice of life!

Vicious Celt Warlord Member Celtic_Punk's Avatar

i'd have tapped cleopatra VII probably... i would have seek her out... hwen i would be through, she'd never sit again.
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS
    "The republic stands for truth and honour. For all that is noblest in our race. By truth and honour, principle and sacrifice alone will Ireland be free."-Liam Mellows

Who knows? If it's a enough day we may all end up Generals!"

What about "barbarian" women ...not many representations of those around are there??
    "Deep in Iberia there is a tribe that doesn't rule itself, nor allows anyone to rule it" - Gaius Julius Caesar.

Boudicca was rumoured to have been incredibly beautiful, and it was also rumoured that a Roman engineer fell in love with her. So she would have been beautiful to even Roman standards. yes she was as high class as they came in Britain, but considering her hygiene would not have been anywhere near Roman standards, ancient celt women must have had something back then... as they do now :P
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS
    "The republic stands for truth and honour. For all that is noblest in our race. By truth and honour, principle and sacrifice alone will Ireland be free."-Liam Mellows

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

this particular conversation came into my mind when I saw this thread
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Gimli: It's true you don't see many dwarf women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for dwarf men.
    Aragorn: [whispering] It's the beards.

Last edited by ||Lz3||; 09-03-2008 at 05:36.
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

Quote Originally Posted by Romano-Dacis View Post
    1) People in the past would have lost a lot of their teeth, especially in the lower classes. Thnk about it: no fortified milk, toothpaste, flouride-enriched water etc.
    Funny that the Archaeological evidence shows they actually had healthy teeth with cavities few and far between.

Also Fluoride actually degrades your teeth, it also doesn't help that the fluoride that is used in Municipal Water and toothpaste comes straight from Aluminum Processing Plants. Calcium now, which your teeth are made of, is what strengthens your teeth.
    I send you greetings. Need I say more? You are remembered.

I don't have fluoride-enriched water either, thankfully, and I don't even know what "fortified milk" is supposed to be.
    Ok, so I lost two teeth, but this was due to hockey, not due to bad dental hygiene.
    Last edited by Tollheit; 09-03-2008 at 12:42.

Could be your God Member Abokasee's Avatar

-Ignore, wrong thread I fear, silly me-
    Last edited by Abokasee; 09-03-2008 at 13:07. Reason: Instagib this post please-
    Now with transparent layers!

Lost on the Internet? Go back to start.

What about Messina or whatever Claudius' wife was named?

She was reported to have done, what, a hundred and fifty men on one afternoon or something...
    There is no emotion, there is peace.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no passion, there is serenity.
    There is no chaos, there is harmony.
    There is no death, there is the Force.

Quote Originally Posted by rider View Post
    What about Messina or whatever Claudius' wife was named?

She was reported to have done, what, a hundred and fifty men on one afternoon or something...

What!?!?!?!
    "Deep in Iberia there is a tribe that doesn't rule itself, nor allows anyone to rule it" - Gaius Julius Caesar.

You know they probably didn't shave, right?

The ancients likely had far less cavities than us because of their diet. Speaking from experience, I hardly ever brushed my teeth as a kid (every other day or so) and yet never got a cavity. This is because I hardly ever ate candy or other sweets, my parents simply didn't keep it in the house. To this day I drink my coffee black and don't eat dessert.

I know it sounds repulsing, but for some reason my breath never turns sour unless I eat something really nasty, so I never felt the need. Until I went on the garlic diet that is--I didn't actually lose weight on that one, but I did look thinner from a distance.

As for my teeth, they seem to never turn yellow.

Anyway, great thread guys. Maybe we should pin this and re-title it, "The EB Babe Thread."
    It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
    Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-Sir Winston Churchill
    ΔΟΣ ΜΟΙ ΠΑ ΣΤΩ ΚΑΙ ΤΑΝ ΓΑΝ ΚΙΝΑΣΩ--Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth.-Archimedes on his work with levers
    Click here for my Phalanx/Aquilifer mod

Default AW: Re: Hot chicks in Antiquity?

Quote Originally Posted by pirates_say_arrgg View Post
    Men and women in Ancient Rome did use wax excessivily; so you wouldn't find a single hair more on their body than on modern people.

Disclaimer: my posts are to be considered my private opinion and not offical statements by the EB Team

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Default Re: AW: Re: Hot chicks in Antiquity?

Quote Originally Posted by konny View Post
    Men and women in Ancient Rome did use wax excessivily; so you wouldn't find a single hair more on their body than on modern people.
    probably less...
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

!!! Really? That is very interesting. Can you cite me something so I can read about this?

Quote Originally Posted by lobf View Post
    !!! Really? That is very interesting. Can you cite me something so I can read about this?

here's one: Ovidus..common advice in his works: get rid of all ye hairs, including shaving the face (hair of pate not included)

Suetonius mentions Caesar plucking his hair out, and being a nitpick...save the hair on his pate.

now, non say "waxing" per se IIRC, but they do at least hint to the plucking out of hair. wax could have been a method...
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 09-04-2008 at 17:39.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

i bet he actually means "do you have a source with interesting pictures? I must study diagrams to better understand the subject matter!"

and about clau-clau-clau-Claudius's wife, thats the beauty of orgee's mate. quite unbeffiting for someone of her stature though to be at such a party.
    Last edited by Celtic_Punk; 09-04-2008 at 18:19.
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS

Default AW: Re: AW: Re: Hot chicks in Antiquity?

A Roman poet (forgot which one) wrote something like, "In the bath-houses louder than the shouts of the waxers are the cries of their customers". It is clear that they used the way in the same than it used today.

Disclaimer: my posts are to be considered my private opinion and not offical statements by the EB Team

Wink Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: Hot chicks in Antiquity?

A Roman poet (forgot which one) wrote something like, "In the bath-houses louder than the shouts of the waxers are the cries of their customers". It is clear that they used the way in the same than it used today.
    ah, yes, I remember that one. sadly i did not mention it, because the poet was unknown. I wouldn't be surprised if eith Juvenal or Martial wrote that line though.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 09-05-2008 at 01:31.

Quote Originally Posted by ziegenpeter View Post
    I know this is an old thread and I haven't read it entirely but there are 2 things I'd like to mention about the germans (the people(s) of antiquity I'm most interested in).
    Maybe the hygene standards in the mediterranian area was very high but nevertheless, they had no soap. It was used by germans and afaik some celts (you can guess it because even in modern roman languages it's the germanic root. compare germ. "Seife" french "savon").
    And meat was not an every days meal for the germans. I think this belongs to the old clichées of the bearded barbarian, wearing a winged/horned helmet, laying on his bearskin, sipping mead out of a huge horn and grilling a whole pig over a campfire...
    My literature tells me that the mostly eat grain-food. But other grains, and thats also problably why they were talller.

PS: Yeah I'm a german
    One of the few things said by Tacitus which were very true was that there was no ability for effective farming techniques in the cold Northern climate of Germany without the technology of heavier iron plows, ect. Yes they farmed, but no, they did not eat mostly wheat/corn(the true one as in cornmeal, a grain not maize), rye and/or barley. They DID eat swine which could be cultivated from the forests and left to their own, a much easier food source than farming, which was also not something they especially enjoyed or reinforced culturally. Milk was important to their diet, as well as fishing such as herring on the coasts. The lack of localized, high populations in single settlements points to a lack of farming, which was invented and used for such a purpose... hunting and gathering then might be quite a bit undeestimated, such as with deer- despite not completely adhering to a nomadic lifeway. The closer the Germanics got to the steppe also they more and more they would have returned to their original pastoralist practices as part of the IE cultural heritage, although rainfall agriculture and rye (which can be grown in harsher climates) would have still been in use.

Wheat would not account for height- that is a protein based development, if considering nurture over nature. The carbs would allow the protein consumed to not be burned for energy, but by itself, cannot do what meats and high protein diets can. The only way vegetarians even survive today is with artificially engineered soy that has more amino acids than found in the environment. Mankind would have never developed the high brain mass it has without hunting and meat-consumption- it's a fact of life. Similarly, the population of Japan is quite a bit taller than it has ever been because they are eating more than just rice. The Netherlands has the tallest people on average in the world, but I do not know if that is nec. related
    HWÆT !
    “Vesall ertu þinnar skjaldborgar!” “Your shieldwall is pathetic!” -Bǫðvar Bjarki [Hrólfs Saga Kraka]
    “Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl þonne his ellen déah.” “The course of events often saves the un-fey warrior if his valour is good.” -Bēowulf
    “Gørið eigi hárit í blóði.” “Do not get blood on [my] hair.” -Sigurð Búason to his executioner [Óláfs Saga Tryggvasonar: Heimskringla]

Wes þū hāl ! Be whole (with luck)!

you gotta be kidding nobody got the clau-clau-clau-claudius joke?
    shiiiit, kids gotta read a little more...
    Last edited by Celtic_Punk; 09-05-2008 at 19:51.
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS

I fear the woman who has gone a lifetime without ever seeing soap and shampoo.

Quote Originally Posted by pirates_say_arrgg View Post
    I don't either, nothing wrong with a little hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Danest View Post
    I fear the woman who has gone a lifetime without ever seeing soap and shampoo.
    You should try a mud bath sometime. Its very revealing.

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: Re: Hot chicks in Antiquity?

Quote Originally Posted by AntiTank View Post
    I don't either, nothing wrong with a little hair.
    Amen.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678