Thread: The city of Delphi

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Default The city of Delphi

While I know that Delphi was the site of Apollo's games and his oracle, but that's it. I'm doing research on the city and all during the Greek Wars, and I was wondering if you guys had any more information about the city and her participation.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

Default Re: The city of Delphi

Hi Marshall
    I visited Delphi in 1967 as part of an educational trip. I was a 15 year old school boy at the time and recall being more interested in girls than the finer points of Greek history!! However, I do recall that it was an impressive site and the overall impression was that it was a special, mystical place. The pronoucements of the oracle must have carried real weight at the time and it is difficult for us in the modern age to really understand the power and importance of the prophercies. It felt like a place above politics and respected from all sides - reality might have been different but the respect paid to the site suggests it.
    40 years on, those feelings on strength and importance still remain, so they must have made an impact on an impressionable 15 year old
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

It's something.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

For England and St.George Senior Member ShadesWolf's Avatar

Very interesting place. Look on the greek tourist board should giv u a little more.

It held the oracle, loads of temples and a very high running track
    ShadesWolf
    The Original HHHHHOWLLLLLLLLLLLLER

Im a Wolves fan, get me out of here......

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

I wasn't ever under the impression it was a city as such, with any direct political and military power. More a cluster of temples and areas for the Games, most of the time probably surrounded by related (temporary) residences.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr