Thread: Roman Gatorade

Question Roman Gatorade

The drink of the Roman legionary was water + vinegar. The wine of the slaves which has a number of strange ingredients (including seawater) also included vinegar. Can any of the enlightened history majors tells me if the vinegar was added because the Romans liked the flavor (?!!) or because it had some special thirst-quenching properties I'm not aware of?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Default Re: Roman Gatorade

Vinegar has electrolytes in it. Slaughtering barbarians really does sap ye so a little Roman Gatorade and your all set .

Basically along with water the electrolytes will help get the body back into homeostasis .
    Last edited by russia almighty; 01-21-2008 at 09:25.

Join the Army: A Pontic AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=96984
    ...uh coptic mother****er:A Makuria Comedy AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...93#post1814493

Adding vinegar is also a cheap way to kill some of the microbes that may be in the water

1.0 completed:
    -Baktria

Thats intereasting, I actually never knew that. any idea how much vinegar they would put in their water?

When I was young and stupid I read Bible accounts about Roman soldiers giving Christ water & vinegar to drink as he was dying on a cross. I thought it was some form of ancient vinegar torture to make the condemned man suffer even more. In reality Christ must have actually benefited from such a shot of electrolytes. The Roman sentry was probably acting out of genuine compassion as vinegar water was probably his favorite drink consumed as frequently as we drink cola.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Hellenic_Hoplite
    Thats intereasting, I actually never knew that. any idea how much vinegar they would put in their water?
    No idea but there are recipes on the web and I think we should give it a try and taste it...and post reactions.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I certainly woulden't mind giving it a try, I could take some of it to my reenactments

Wow, just had an idea of how a TV ad for Roman gatorade would play out:

"If you get tired after only an hour of killing smelly barbarians, maybe you need..."

Quote Originally Posted by J.Alco
    Wow, just had an idea of how a TV ad for Roman gatorade would play out:

"If you get tired after only an hour of killing smelly barbarians, maybe you need..."
    "All that pillaging, raping, and plundering causing you to feel a little hung over? Have some Posca, the Thirst Mutilator!"
    Balloons from Andronikos, Frontline1944, HunGeneral, m0r1d1n, Alsatia and skullheadhq

My EB Faction Wallpapers:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=120204

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Deja vu?
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Interesting thread indeed! I'm too scared to try this myself though, I prefer the smell of horse @#$% to vinegar any time.

MARMOREAM•RELINQUO•QUAM•LATERICIAM•ACCEPI