Thread: Arrow Keys = FPS Drop

Default Arrow Keys = FPS Drop

Hello all,

Whenever I use my arrow keys (campaign or battlefield) I get a massive frame rate drop. Normal Frame Rate = 40-50 FPS, Using Arrow Keys = 10-20. The strange thing is that when I move the arrow cursor to the sides of the screen I experience no FPS drop. My drivers are completely up-to-date. Is there a fix to this?

Thanks,

Rhietwar

PS: Sorry if there was already a post regarding the same topic - I searched the forums and couldn't find one.

Default Re: Arrow Keys = FPS Drop

In the campaign, disabling shadows should do the trick, and disabling settlement/character names with Ctrl-N and Ctrl-T could help a bit too. As for choppy or slow battles, that's usually a sign of AMD drivers not being updated. You didn't say which drivers were up-to-date.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Thanks for the reply,

I did what you said Bovi, but the FPS drops continue to occur. I did notice however that the use of the arrow keys will only cause my FPS to drop AFTER I have activated the 4ty script. Odd that it only lags when I use the Arrow Keys. Any Suggestions ???

Rhietwar

Also, it only occurs when I am in Campaign Mode - In Custom Battles I recieve no FPS drop. I am 99.9% positive that it has something to do with the script.

My system Specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2140 @ 1.60GHz 4.7 3.4
    Memory: (RAM) 2.00 GB 4.8
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8300 GS 3.4
    Gaming graphics: 895 MB Total available graphics memory 4.4
    Primary hard disk: 75GB Free (140GB Total)
    Last edited by Rhietwar; 01-22-2008 at 02:11.

The script definitely slows the game down. It's the price we pay for the lots of added functionality of EB. There are many other steps you can take to improve performance, but I can't remember them offhand. There's an unofficial mod that chops off a big chunk of the script that you may want to try, it disables the client rulers but leaves the rest intact (see the subforum).

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Ok I'll try that. Thanks for the help. :)

I never played Europa 7-8, the previous Version of EB 1.0, but I think the client ruler section of the script wasn't there for that version. Which means if people want to go back to when the script was smaller, they should just use what I said here.

Your second choice, if you want better combat AI and an increase in turn/scroll speed, is using the Alexander mod to start EB, which is save game compatible with vanilla EB.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=96135

Btw, the largest performance boost for EB seems to be to have 2 gigs of ram, whatever speed.

Rhietwar,

How did you find your fps?
    Those who would give up essential liberties for a perceived sense of security deserve neither liberty nor security--Benjamin Franklin

Fraps 2.0 - it is a free benchmarking program that displays your FPS, and captures in-game screenshots and videos.

www.fraps.com

Thanks for the info Ymarsakar.