Thread: In Game Baktrian Bhuddist

Default In Game Baktrian Bhuddist

I've been playing as Bactria for a while and noticed something, no matter how large of a stupa or monestary I build I never get my FM to have traits or ancillary that indicate their taking an interest in Bhuddism. So how can I get these traits for role-playing puropses?

1.0 completed:
    -Baktria

Default Re: In Game Baktrian Bhuddist

*bump* somebody must know

1.0 completed:
    -Baktria

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

That somebody would be probably Keravnos. He's apparently away for the last days.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Dunno...my guess is Buddhism never took off around those regions...Buddhism didn't even take off much in the place where it originated; India.

I think the major branches are Thervada (South & South East Asia),
    Tibetan (Himalayan plateau, Mongolia), and Mahayana & Zen-Chan (East Asia).

Unless you're talking about those Buddhist statues in Afghanistan that the Taliban blew up :/
    Last edited by Intranetusa; 01-26-2008 at 20:31.
    "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind...but there is one thing that science cannot accept - and that is a personal God who meddles in the affairs of his creation."
    -Albert Einstein

I think that i read somewhere bhuddism spread until samarkand which is in the area but i dont remember whether it was that early.
    If the temples dont make him become a bhuddist you maybe need an academy so your fm can study? Could think of something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Edward
    I've been playing as Bactria for a while and noticed something, no matter how large of a stupa or monestary I build I never get my FM to have traits or ancillary that indicate their taking an interest in Bhuddism. So how can I get these traits for role-playing puropses?
    There are some major things in the works for this guys.
    I want to have Buddhism front and center for both Baktrians and Saka as there is so much evidence that they in fact were sending Buddhist missions to the whole region.

Again, this is something I am currently working on (But RL being a skylla AND Charybde has put a dent on my plans).

There are other things on the works for those guys. Don't worry, either by 1.1 or by 2.0 you will have a LOT of buddhism related, traits, ancillaries, even enemy sect (Nikaya Vs Mahayana) to choose from, with each giving the FM having it different + and - in many directions.

I just need time. I am not sure that this will be available by 1.1
    More likely 2.0

You like EB? Buy CA games.

Buddhism did take off in India and a lot of Central Asia (I doubt those Afghan giants would have been constructed by people kinda-sorta-into-it-but-not-really), but had a backslide in popularity by at least the 7th Century for reasons historian and anthropologist types are still arguing about. Common conjecture guesses it was a combination of the splitting of schools into Theravada and Mahayana along with the rise of Islam and resurgence of more populist Hindu traditions that weren't as strict on interpretation of the Vedas like the schools Siddharta himself criticized.

I think it's hard to pin down very many reputable hypotheses about the "decline" of Buddhism in Central Asia. From what I've read (not too much, admittedly), a lot of them are made by Western historians coming from a decidedly Western (Judeo-Islamic-Christian) background interpreting a philosophy that has almost no basis in the schools of thought they're used to. The result is a tone of voice that seems to suggest certain aspects of Buddhism as inferior or "illogical": the lack of distinction between religion and philosophy (a very Asia-thing), lack of a defined deity or cosmology in many sects, less emphasis on evangelism and exponential "growth" of the school, etc. There is also an assumption that Buddhists measure their worth as a school of thought by the amount of territory they can claim a majority of the collective consciousness in, which many times is simply not the case. Buddhists today may feel bad about the destruction of the library at Taksashila by the Mughals, or the loss of the giant Afghan Buddhas or any other historical Buddhist structure, but by and large loss of patronage in a region and/or destruction of structures isn't that big a deal. To many Buddhists, they're just buildings-- impermanence; they aren't a direct manifestation of anything holy or transcendent, just nicely decorated structures of wood and stone to sit in.

Sorry if I blather, I worked on more than one paper for philosophy courses and a magazine article on this topic so it's kind of etched into my brain now.
    "History only tastes bitter to those who expected it to be sugar-coated." - Chris Marker, Sans Soleil

Please don't apologise. That's very interesting stuff.

Oh I'm sorry, I thought it was all ready in game and I just couldn't figure out how to trigger it, good luck implementing this for a future build.

1.0 completed:
    -Baktria

Severian you just said why it did collapse . Apathy . Hindu's , Christians and Muslims get really really pissy when people come in conquering and doing the whole religious conversion thing . Asian religions , Buddhism included not so much.

Which makes me wonder if Buddha wasn't influenced by an East Asian religion .

Join the Army: A Pontic AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=96984
    ...uh coptic mother****er:A Makuria Comedy AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...93#post1814493

Quote Originally Posted by keravnos
    There are some major things in the works for this guys.
    I want to have Buddhism front and center for both Baktrians and Saka as there is so much evidence that they in fact were sending Buddhist missions to the whole region.

Again, this is something I am currently working on (But RL being a skylla AND Charybde has put a dent on my plans).

There are other things on the works for those guys. Don't worry, either by 1.1 or by 2.0 you will have a LOT of buddhism related, traits, ancillaries, even enemy sect (Nikaya Vs Mahayana) to choose from, with each giving the FM having it different + and - in many directions.

I just need time. I am not sure that this will be available by 1.1
    More likely 2.0
    Cool - Buddhist monk ancillaries, anyone?

Default Re: In Game Buddhism

Great news, keravnos.

So are we going to get Buddhist buildings? Y'know monasteries and the like? For the like of saka, will conversion and reformations be involved?
    Ultimate Excellence Lies

Not In Winning

Every Battle

But In Defeating the Enemy

Without Ever Fighting