Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can we ban Mafia ads outside of the Gameroom?

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Default Can we ban Mafia ads outside of the Gameroom?

Just what the subject line says. Can we make it a rule that you can't post advertisements Mafia advertisements outside of the Gameroom itself or PMs? Already, a thread was shutdown by Beirut in the Frontroom, and I had to close one in the Arena (news flash: Mafia is NOT Arena material), and god knows where else they are posted. It just annoys the heck out of me that some people have to resort to spamming to get attention. And staff members, no less!

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Default Re: Can we ban Mafia ads outside of the Gameroom?

agreed
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

I don't mind a visit now and then, especially if they have a big game in the works, after all, we do want to support our friends in other forums.

On the other hand, I am considering a massive spam attack on the Gameroom if it gets out of hand.

Inter-forum warfare... sounds kinda cool really.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree, they do get excessive.

If everyone who starts a game makes several threads asking people to come, then soon the entire .Org will become an advertisement for the Gameroom. Not good.

The game being advertised in question is going to be massive, and the more players it has the better, but there is a line and IMHO it was crossed this time. More subtle methods of recruitment are needed.

For example (and I'm not sure if this has been done already), the Hail! New Members thread would be a great place to recruit. It's not intrusive, being restricted to one thread but still grabs a lot of people, especially as they are coming to the .Org for the first time.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

I really don't see the problem....
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Me neither. The game being advertised is exceptionally large one and its kind are very rare beast“s. I would not fear about mafia advertising in general will take this kind of proportions. But i guess ultimately its up to the moderators of different areas of Org to decide what is appropriate in their sub forums and whats not.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

I don't agree, unless there are 10 threads per forum per mafia game.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

They fit in the frontroom, but are a bit disturbing elsewhere (and by PM). Just my
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Cant we make a poll with options? That would define the matter.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Ever since seeing a certain moderator posting the ads in pretty much every forum I can see, I have believed that this is excessive advertising that sets a bad precedent.

I still stand by that opinion and believe that if you want to advertise a game regardless of its size, do it in its own forum or put it in your signature. There is no reason to annoy reader of other fora and spam them with advertisement, regardless of whether they get read or not.

Its like spam emails. Do you really want them?
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

I think the most effective way to punish this crude form of advertisement is to mass lynch Andres in the first round of the game!

On a more serious note, I really don't see why we should get worked up about this. It's just some friendly advertisement. One can argue that it simply doesn't belong in the Arena (and or Throne Room...), but it's a one of a kind game. And as many people should be made aware of that.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

I don't see any problem with it. You can actually choose not to read the thread after all.

Urwendur Ūrībźl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

So there are people who get annoyed with the spam ads and those who don't.

To find a middle ground I, as a neuter ORGah in this case suggest that the ads be organised and limited. Such as, whenever a game starts one of the initiators make a thread at the Entrance Hall and the Frontroom and announce it. It may even be left sticky for a limited period. Further thread ads would be illegal.

Variations can be made around this core.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

as a neuter ORGah
    Something I always wanted to know: Does the process hurt?
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief
    For example (and I'm not sure if this has been done already), the Hail! New Members thread would be a great place to recruit. It's not intrusive, being restricted to one thread but still grabs a lot of people, especially as they are coming to the .Org for the first time.
    I very strongly disagree. There are already enough Gameroom-related posts in that thread as it is -- to actively recruit there would likely drive it completely off-topic (and new members would stop introducing themselves there).

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre
    So there are people who get annoyed with the spam ads and those who don't.

To find a middle ground I, as a neuter ORGah in this case suggest that the ads be organised and limited. Such as, whenever a game starts one of the initiators make a thread at the Entrance Hall and the Frontroom and announce it. It may even be left sticky for a limited period. Further thread ads would be illegal.

Variations can be made around this core.
    I like this idea. I'm definitely not against people getting the word out about a new Mafia game (or what have you) -- I actually think they're a pretty neat idea -- but having multiple threads started in multiple forums is both excessive & irritating IMHO.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach
    Something I always wanted to know: Does the process hurt?

I am in agreement with Mouzafphaerre. Frontroom, Gameroom, and EH only for maximum exposure and minimum spam. However, if I EVER see another mafia thread in the Arena again, I'm going to go ape on the offender.

Quote Originally Posted by Kekvit Irae
    I am in agreement with Mouzafphaerre. Frontroom, Gameroom, and EH only for maximum exposure and minimum spam. However, if I EVER see another mafia thread in the Arena again, I'm going to go ape on the offender.
    Calm down. Take it easy.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

Quote Originally Posted by Caius
    Calm down. Take it easy.
    I'd just leave it up to the local mods as to what to do with it.

Beriut naturally had to axe it - he's got a reputation to keep after all - but in other areas it's not so bad.

Besides, it hardly works, the only two responses the Citadel one got last I checked were from local mods, who had both already signed up
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The way i see it, is the main areas people go. 1 in each.

Since we are talking about Capo 2, its not a normal event. It needs a large amount of players, so we need to recruit.

However, i am not for 3-4 threads in the frontroom. The original was enough.

Perhaps just an announcement in the future?
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Beirut has his axe, Kekvit has her hairpins. Ouch!

Why the Frontroom?

The Backroom handles murder and the Arena handles games, why not them

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Okay, from the looks of this thread I see:

- sapi, Citadel mod, saying that the posts in the Citadel don't work.

- Beirut, Frontroom mod, semi-complaining about why the Frontoom is the target of most of the recruitment posts (and even if he's joking, it's probably only half-joking).

- Kekvit Irae, "Iron First of the Arena" clearly making her opinion known about the presence of such threads in the Arena.

- Martok, one of the serial welcomers in the HNM thread expressing his disagreement of recruitment there (didn't know mate, I need to visit that thread more often and say "hello").

Clearly, there seems to be a pattern of NIMBY syndrome from the people running areas of the forum. Announcement/short-term sticky probably seems best for all parties.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief
    Clearly, there seems to be a pattern of NIMBY syndrome from the people running areas of the forum.
    I still don't understand why. Who's it hurting? Are we worried it'll sully the prestige of the org by posting a handful of threads about a forum game that's being hosted here?

Frontroom- 'Off topic forum':
    Sounds like it fits there.

Backroom- 'Talk with other members of the community about anything, including civil discussions about politics and religion': Sounds like it's appropriate there as well.

Arena- 'A place to discuss any games not from the Total War series':
    If there was only one forum for such notices, this would have to be it- the description is a perfect match. I know I've seen other ads for web-based and post based games listed there many times in the past. A big difference with mafia games is that they're actually hosted on this forum- you'd think that'd be a plus.

Unless I'm mistaken, there are already rules against thread spamming and spam-type bumping. There's no need to tailor special rules against mafia games just because some people don't like them. If you don't like a thread, do what I do- don't read it. If someone is spamming out of control, then the mods can deal with it accordingly.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 01-26-2008 at 06:40.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou
    A big difference with mafia games is that they're actually hosted on this forum
    Bingo! This is why such threads are no longer wanted in the Arena. Org-based games have their own subforum.
    It's like discussing the finer points of Europa Barbarorum II in The Citadel. Sure it's M2TW, but it's not in the right place since EBII has its own subforum.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

I can see why it could get annoying to some people, and some members just spam the threads. But the point is to try to get as many people to play the game as needed or possible.

I think it's pretty obvious that only being able to post ads in the Gameroom is stupid and a waste of time, because the only people who go in the Gameroom are the ones that play mafia or the couple of other games that are hosted there.

I'm not sure what the big deal is honestly, but you mod the forum so you decide what can and can't be in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

If certain spoilsports would sign up for the game, there'd be enough players that no advertising was needed.

This pointless topic about how horrible a single thread has been annoys me quite a bit as well but unfortunately I can't close it. I suggest that as long as this almost never happens, some people take a pill and relax instead of making such a fuss about a few threads which weren't meant to bother anyone and intended to spread some fun.
    I know that fun is not the official forum description of many fora here so it doesn't really fit anywhere but as we say here, exceptions prove the rule and it's not really like every mafia person would spam every forum, people see this as an exceptional game and so they try exceptional methods to get the players needed, it shouldn't be too hard to live with it...

I'm done, thanks, byebye.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kekvit Irae
    Instagib them!
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Concerning Gameroom ads in The Frontroom.

We'll welcome Mafia ads from Andres only. If he sees there's a big game, or one that's especially interesting and warrants advertising, he's always welcome in The Frontroom.

All other Mafia ads or discussion threads will be shmooshed on sight.

That sounds sensible Beirut.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast