Thread: BI.exe hording problems

Keeper of the Pax Romanum Member TruePraetorian's Avatar

Default BI.exe hording problems

Well, couldn't get it to work if I had to... here is what I did:

-Modified UI by adding in the necessary files from BI (strat3.rsd, etc)
    -Added in standard in descr_standards
    -modified descr_sm_factions for Gauls only, putting in 5 horde units
    -modified export_descr_unit by adding can_horde to barb wargaurd gaul

Note this was just to test to see if it would work...last time I tried this, about a month ago, it had the same results.

Results:
    1st time: Game started, hording fine, gave all cities to Julii and left my last city. When I attacked a city and chose the sack option got a CTD.

DID NOT EDIT ANYTHING:
    2nd time: Campagin starts, but when I click on a city the result is a CTD

3rd, 4th, 5th, etc time: Deleted map.rwm files first, then started campaign, only to have it CTD 3/4ths through. I tried small modifications here and there to no avail...

I see on the forums no one has shared my troubles...anyone know what i'm doing wrong? I must have followed 10 sets of different directions but have made no progress. What confuses me the most is why it would load the first time, CTD when I clicked a city the second, and CTD on load no matter how I changed it.
    The Gods envy us.

They envy us because we are mortal, because any moment might be our last.
    Everything is more beautiful because we are doomed.
    You will never be lovlier than you are now.

We will never be here again.

Default Re: BI.exe hording problems

not really sure, but I recall something about the senate and hording not really working together, so try removing the senate if you have them ...
    (they can work together, as long as the human doesnt horde/un-horde)

also you need more than just some of the ui-files, you need some text and "event" files iirc, they are refered to in the topics that mention hording, as I found out about it the same way (sorry, dont feel like finding the topic right now ....)

btw did you get any show_err error-report ??

G

I did have the event files in the UI/roman/interface folder, along with the 3 other files in that folder...

I always use show_err (gotta be a cool modder ) but no error came up..all I got was "windows is searching for a solution" thing, and even that doesn't do anything..

And ill try the Senate thing...a shame if I can't use the Senate though..
    Last edited by TruePraetorian; 01-26-2008 at 04:18.
    The Gods envy us.

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

Have a look at this
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...2&postcount=19

and if that fails the rest of that thread info should be in there somewhere.

Also are you doing this from a mod-folder? If you're not you may be having problem with it trying to use the packed version of the UI files, instead of the BI ones you've placed in folder.
    Last edited by Makanyane; 01-26-2008 at 12:18.
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

Test it in a bit, but will this explain the odd campaign loading problems?

Thanks BTW, and I like in your post how you "really would like to go to sleep now!"

EDIT: Tested it and it works, thanks.
    Last edited by TruePraetorian; 01-27-2008 at 06:53.
    The Gods envy us.

Sorry to re-introduce the topic:

After starting a succesful campaign (as Dacia), I played it for a good hour then quit. Starting it up a new campaign the next day (as Dacia), it didn't work and I got a CTD. I re-loaded the game and started as the romans, and it started just fine. I then quit out of that campaign and tried the dacians again, but it gave me a CTD. After about 3 hours of being puzzled, I deleted/modified every file I touched back to they way it was, exactly; Still no campaign. I then deleted my UI folder and copied in a fresh one, adding in the necessary hording files. Voila, worked like a charm. Feeling superstitous, I quit the new Gaulic campaign, and tried to start a new one. CTD. I again fixed every file and re-copied the UI, started a campaign, quit, and started a new one just to check for similiar results, and that is what I got. (A CTD)

The problem is that if I re-do my whole UI, then start a campaign, it's a one-shot thing and then I have to redo everything which takes a good 10 minutes. I have been deleting map.rwm files to see, but nothing has changed my results. Anyone else experience this oddity? Note my first posts where I had similiar problems. Mak showed me a post of hers which solved it, it had to do with the settlement razed event. With that fixed, it is basically the same issue I had before with it loading once and then CTDing whenever I play a hording faction. I can start up greeks, romans, etc. just fine.

Please don't think I'm just asking without trying myself, I've been at this for the better part of two days now . Thanks in advance.

EDIT: First campaign was Dacia, second and then on was Gaul.
    Last edited by TruePraetorian; 01-28-2008 at 21:15.
    The Gods envy us.

I don't think you ever answered if you were using mod-folder? Are you?

I still had question I wasn't sure about - whether RTW would read the UI files properly from main RTW/data folder or whether that would get it confused with the packs - there was some problem with roman UI not getting read if you tried just placing it in RTW/data/ui, but it seemed to work from mod-folder.

Otherwise maybe to do with what RedSpot mentioned about Senate, there was also something he posted here
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...4&postcount=22
    about not having horde nation in roman culture and superfaction in use.
    Download the:

Sorry, forgot you asked...yes I am using a mod folder. I don't see how the problem is coming from anything roman, considering i haven't touched them, care to explain the relation you speak of?
    The Gods envy us.

the game is based around the Romans, the game defaults in some cases to reading the Roman labelled folders, so even if you dont use Romans if you mod-folder stuff you pretty much are required to set them up to an extend ... afaik as I havent "mod-foldered" yet ...

G

Ah, makes sense, but the only problem is even if it did default to the Romans, I have the needed INTERFACE files in both ui/barbarian/interface and ui/roman/interface. The files are battlepage_03 and startpage_03. When I was adding hording, it didn't make sense for those files to be only in Roman interface, so I added them to the barbarian one as well (created an interface folder as it wasn't there originally). Do you maybe think that was the cause of it? Either the game is confusing itself, or I possible have to add all the interface files not specifically roman to the barbarian/interface.

I'm not home now so I can't test it, otherwise I wouldn't burden you with my questions .
    The Gods envy us.

I'd maybe try adding the folders for all the other culture interface files,including the other tga's that aren't changed and for the other cultures. Adding them in shouldn't hurt (I think it would be same as set up I had then as we'd changed other things in the files already). That might be safer than having it look partly in one folder and partly in original.

Other than that no-idea now, it seems very strange that it seems to work once then break as those files shouldn't be getting overwritten or changed in any way by game!
    Download the:

Very sorry for bringing it up AGAIN:

I just can't seem to fix it..I've done everything short of uninstalling everything (already uninstalled RTW). It seems that the CTD is caused by something in descr_sm_factions. When I add can_horde to a unit and do NOT add the unit in descr_sm_factions (when i don't add in the hording information), it plays fine. Note there are no hordes when this happens. I can create_unit of the horded type and it will say "horde unit" in the information scroll. This rules out the EDU...

Has no one experienced the same issue? Or am I a loner to die with my never-ending CTD's

Thanks for your patience
    The Gods envy us.

I'm having exactly the same issue. Did you ever solve it?