Thread: Good freeware cache cleaner needed

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Default Good freeware cache cleaner needed

I'm selling a computer and I want to make sure there are no remnants or evidence of my dealings with the communist party in it, but I don't want to format it.

Can someone recommend a good free cache cleaner or something already within XP that will do the same?

Thanks.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

Default Re: Good freeware cache cleaner needed

Depending on how serious and/or concerned you are, the best solution is simply to replace the drive before you sell the machine (Buy a new one for the outgoing box, recycle the old one into your new machine). Alternately, if you're not that worried, I'd download and use the utility package available on the drive maker's website, i.e. Maxtor, Seagate, Western Digital, etc. They're free, they're usually comprehensive (Write zeros), and they tend to be faster than your run of the mill freeware solution.

Of course you'll end up doing a Windows reinstall afterward, but you're not going to get 'clean' without going through that step anyway, IMHO. It's not a bad idea to restore a machine to it's OEM state (Assuming it's not hand built) before selling it anyway, just in case you blew away that copy of Quicken '98 your purchaser was desperate to have.

Short of destroying a drive no data erasure is 100% effective, you just have to figure out your comfort level and the amount of work you're willing to put in.

It's nothing that serious really, I just don't want any credit card numbers or passwords or emails left behind. I don't want to format or replace the drive, I just want to be moderately sure that my VISA number or any of my online purchase accounts info can't be dug up by the next guy.

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

CCleaner for your sanity.

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

CCleaner is a great tool Beirut, but if you're giving it to anyone else, I don't care who it is, I recommend you kill it with fire before handing it over to them. Full wipe, full gone, nada left, DoD spec deletion. Better safe than sorry. That program comes bootable so you can just burn a CD and rock.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

^^What he said, but whatever you do make sure it involes a complete format and reinstall at the very least. Peace of mind is a good thing.

Seems I missed the first line.

CCleaner is irrelevant, 'cause you'll already be formatting the HDD before you sell, wouldn't you ?

So, trusting Whacker the Tahitititihtiatithititaitian Geek 's everperfect level of tech knowledge, I'd follow what he says.

Hey LEN, good to see you here.

I'll try the CCleaner. If I'm still felling woozy about it, I'll Kill It With Fire.

Thanks all.

Ahoy, brother. Just a sign from an ethereal techie who wanted to contact with mortals.