Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teh Art of the Sandwich

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Default Teh Art of the Sandwich

Let's talk favourite sandwiches.

As a kid I used to eat the sandwiches my mother prepared for me: the traditional Dutch fare of white or dark bread, butter, cheese or ham. When I was ten I read a (children's) novel about a boy my age in Brooklyn who prepared a sandwich in a way I had never heard or thought about. He took a big roll, sliced it ope and filled it with peanut butter, jam, lettuce, cheese and pickles. I wondered what it would taste like, so I started experimenting and making my own, ahem, 'creations' such as lettuce/cheese/mustard sandwiches or cheese/banana/ketchup (roast in hot oven for two minutes for best effect).

Nowadays it's pastrami sandwiches with the works (a habit I picked up in New York) for me, or alternatively big 'Italian' rolls with slices of cheese, salami, chirizo and a salted green pepper on top.

On occasion (when I have make time for it) I make traditional English sandwiches like cucumber (with lemon butter) and watercress.

Sooo, what's your favourite sandwich?
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Default Re: Teh Art of the Sandwich

Start with whatever lunchmeat is on sale at the deli counter (excluding ham). If not then some kind of spiced poultry (usually turkey, varies).

Add in a spicy mustard sauce: Spicy brown, horseradish, etc. I've found a wasabi sauce I quite enjoy.

Place one slice of fat free cheese on the sauce (extra protein, helps contain the sauce).

Salad greens mix, with the exception of iceberg lettuce.

All enclosed in a nicely folded tortilla type bread, anything other than plain. Ex: sun dried tomato and basil, southwest, crushed red pepper, etc. Bagels are nice but a self-contained sandwich is better.

Not very scientific (or always appetizing) but the point is to have a complex and varied diet as possible.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

(Insert innuendo here) Member Balloon Bomber Champion DemonArchangel's Avatar

The food co-op at my school makes enormous, ENORMOUS sandwiches. They're big enough that you'd have to be able to unhinge your jaw to take a bite of it. Fillings are a bit...vegetable oriented though, but it's good for you, so that's ok.

Co-op Sandwich Includes:
    *2 slices of stone ground multi-grain bread
    *Copious amounts of fresh roasted turkey
    *Guacamole
    *Hummus
    *Lettuce
    *Tomatoes
    *Onions
    *Spinach
    *Cucumbers
    *Sprouts
    *Olives
    *Roasted red peppers
    *Jalapenos
    *Thai bird's eye peppers
    *Hot mustard
    *Hand made cheese
    Last edited by DemonArchangel; 01-27-2008 at 17:38.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.

Nobody Important Member Somebody Else's Avatar

My favourite's the one with me in the middle...
    Don't have any aspirations - they're doomed to fail.

Rumours...

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

Hmm let's start off with some good whole wheat bread, or an artisans bread like rosemary with olive oil. Then add some sort of Dijon, or honey mustard, depending on the day. On top of that put some fairly thick but not overly thick slices of extra sharp non-lowfat cheddar cheese. Preferably the stuff that isn't mass-produced to an insane degree, it has more flavor. And low-fat cheddar is just gross, you can't melt it evenly at all and it has no bite. Then add ham, pastrami, turkey, chorizo or whatever lunch meat you want and enjoy. You can add additional toppings (like lettuce and tomato) if you want, but I usually don't have them in the house.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

Well, I can't get it anymore, but the local Farmer's Market used to sell a Black Pepper Parmesan 'hearth' bread that went so perfectly with a nice aged swiss and Boar's Head Hickory smoked chicken breast that I'll never forget the flavor. I have no taste for sauces or rabbit food additions, so those three things are it for me.

A good dark pumpernickel with provelone and roast beef is also in the mix.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

PB & J.

Any other quality man-sized style sandwich will do. Good crusty rolls or organic heavy-grain bread, with hummus and meat and cheese and hot peppers.

Chicken and smoked meat together is very tasty.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

My favourite is definitely one with fresh mozarella cheese, prosciutto (e.g. parma ham), tomato and olive oil and fresh basilicum or alternatively pesto.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Most will do. Whatever is at hand can be turned into a tasty sandwitch.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

No one wants to make the case for the BLT or club sandwich?

BLT's are without a doubt the best day-after-the-night-before food.

Club sandwiches require a clear architectural concept.
    First floor: mayonaise, crisped bacon and tomato slices.
    Second floor: mayonaise, avocado, smoked chicken and chives.
    Third floor: Adrian's mouth.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Whatever cold meat I have, usually Polish or Danish Salami. Then I add:
    1 slice of tomato
    3 pieces of Celery
    3 small carrot pieces
    2 pieces of capsicum if it is available
    lots of onion
    Lettuce (but not a lot)

It creates a great blend of flavours in my eyes, particularly the tomato and onion together.

If I have left over chicken, then I will have that with Mayonnaise and lettuce.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Nobody Important Member Somebody Else's Avatar

Bacon, streaky, and slightly burnt. Lots of butter. Some ketchup. White bread (thick). And 40km of tabbing behind you. Can't be beaten.
    Don't have any aspirations - they're doomed to fail.

Rumours...

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Satire...
    Quote Originally Posted by A Modest Proposal
    In this great nation of ours, I've met many people, of many creeds, races, religions, and mothers. Now, as we progress through this century, we cannot refrain any longer, from the terrible issue that confronts us today. Today, ladies and gentlemen, we can see the very devil before us, his glittering black eyes sparkling between two slices of rye or wheat. We face an issue that has faced many citizens of this nation since the Earl of Sandwich did create such an object. Yes, I am talking about an abomination on this green Earth. An ill-made sandwich.

Ah! I see you cringe at the very thought of such a concoction touching your taste buds! I did think so to, as I feared the deli and Subway. Who knows when such an event could strike? I think we all remember the "French 'wich Fiasco" of 1977 when several ill-made French dips caused riots and violence. Or, need I remind you of the "Moscow Incident" earlier this year, when two deli workers decided to make some very terrible sandwiches for their customers. They still, yes, still, are cleaning the blood from the very walls of that establishment.

Now, you may fear this terrible creation, and so you should. I was a sanwichophobe for several years after I got an order mixed up with someone else's. Then, I found the magical wonder of, what the Americans call, a burger. You all may wonder why this is such a unique creation. Have we all not had a burger before, and felt the same apprehension at the thought of chewing into such a meal? I did too, before I met a very interesting Floridian, who proposed a 'Cheeseburger in Paradise', a most delicious meal. I have been informed, by this same Floridian, of other restaurants that provide 'Whoppers' and 'McBurgers'. No, as you sit there, shaking your head, you'll understand my enthusiasm. For, as I listened to him talk on, I realized that a burger would suitably replace a sandwich.

Now you may ask the obvious question, why replace a sandwich with a burger? It's quite simple, actually.
    They both have buns that compress the meal between them. Like a sandwich. A burger has meat in the middle, like many of our favorite culinary sandwiches. But a burger is warm, and moist, and juicy, and can be enhanced, ladies and gentlemen, by lettuce, tomato, or ketchup. While I have no idea what we have to catch-up with, I can assure you that once you've found it, it is a delight. But you are all asking how can I provide you with such a delicious meal. It's quite simple.

First, you go to you nearest 'McDonalds', 'Burger King' or 'Wendys'. They have any variety of 'burgers' that are fresh and warm. Do not fear the bright signs or the 'Americans' inside, but embrace it as your own. You will not again be disappointed at a deli, disenfranchised at a Subway, or hurt by the missing ingredient. Go for a burger, ladies and gentlemen. Get them a Whopper!
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Hellpuppy unleashed Member Subedei's Avatar

Very useful concepts gentelmen,

in the time I livedi n the US I loved a place where they served a Manhattan steak&cheese sandwich with a special sauce....oh my god, it was heaven on earth.

Here in Bavaria, I am working with the followinmg ingredients [Note: I never put all of them on one sandwich....that would be too much "Homer Simpson" for me]:

- 18 month old mountain cheese
    - cream cheese
    - gammon
    - salads of all sort [tomato, lettuce, cucumber, etc...season dependent]
    - hard boiled eggs
    - Salchichon/ Chorizo or the Italian versions of hot sausages
    - Shrimps
    - Steak

And most important: thingsd to spice up ya meal
    - Tabasco
    - Dijon Mustard
    - Chinese hot chillie sauce
    - Avocado cream
    - Vinegar
    - olive oil
    - Wazabi
    - pickles
    - onion

The thing with sandwiches for me is:
    - one rarely has all the staff at home to prepare the sandwich of your dream
    - if you eat sandwich today, you gotta eat it tomorrow b/c of freshness of some ingredients and the ammount in which they are sold...e.g. lettuce. Me sometimes thinks it may be cheaper to buy a sandwich at e.g. Subways, but, they don't taste as good as my own creations. Well, most of the time.

Question: I love to put the prepared sandwiches in the oven for a couple of minutes, as they get crispy that way plus I love melted cheese. Anybody else doing this frequently?
    Last edited by Subedei; 01-28-2008 at 11:57.
    “Some may never live, but the crazy never die” (Hunter S. Thompson)

Quote Originally Posted by Subedei
    Question: I love to put the prepared sandwiches in the oven for a couple of minutes, as they get crispy that way plus I love melted cheese. Anybody else doing this frequently?
    Crispy rolls need a minute or so in a hot oven, indeed. Or they should be fresh. In the center of the town of Utrecht there is a bakery that makes these gorgeous big Italian crispy rolls. They have a stall on one of the canals where they sell the rolls fresh from the over, with the cheese/salami/chorizo/green pepper filling I mentioned. A handful of steamy, fluffy, fragrant goodness, Sir. Reason enough for the Adrianses to go shopping in Utrecht every once in a while.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Dark bread, the darker the better. Old cheese, good butter, some marmite and a few slices of cuccumber. Glass of milk, perfection.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

The Reuben sandwich. This thread can be closed now.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre
    Most will do. Whatever is at hand can be turned into a tasty sandwitch.
    I'm in that camp.

Last night's roast pork, with sauerkraut.

Left-over chicken thigh meat, mayo, alfalfa sprouts.

Stuff it in a half-pita, and call it a sandwich.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian II
    Crispy rolls need a minute or so in a hot oven, indeed. Or they should be fresh. In the center of the town of Utrecht there is a bakery that makes these gorgeous big Italian crispy rolls. They have a stall on one of the canals where they sell the rolls fresh from the over, with the cheese/salami/chorizo/green pepper filling I mentioned. A handful of steamy, fluffy, fragrant goodness, Sir. Reason enough for the Adrianses to go shopping in Utrecht every once in a while.
    I make a point of getting a Broodje Mario anytime I'm in Utrecht... I remember the days when they were cheaper, and no queues at the stall. Delicious, still.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

cold roast pork thinly sliced with just a touch of yellow mustard.

or

canned tuna mixed together with mayo.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Some of my favorites:
    PB&J - the traditional lunch.

For extra taste, toast the bread of a PB&J sandwich. Not heavily, enough to get it crispy and warm.

PB&B - Peanut butter and banana - peanut butter on each slice of bread and a sliced up banana in between. Also consider toasting the bread.

I also like rolls filled with meat, cheese, and mayonnaise. I'd throw in pickles, tomatoes, and lettuce when available. Apply the meat and cheese and warm, then the rest.

Favored meats include ham, salami, turkey.

Eggs and bacon would be good for a breakfast sandwich.

And when you want to clog all your arteries, right now, there's always the deep-fried, cheese in the middle, bacon burger (that is, made from ground bacon!).

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit
    PB&J - the traditional lunch.

For extra taste, toast the bread of a PB&J sandwich. Not heavily, enough to get it crispy and warm.
    Try a PB & J on good oatmeal bread. Holy smackin' is that tasty!
    Unto each good man a good dog

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

tuna+mayo

or

Bagel+two slices of cheddar cheese+a slice of turkey or 7 pepperoni slices. My lunch usually consists of one of those.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

My favourite sandwich, which i make for myself, involves the following.

*White bread.
    *Turkey with Sage and Onion infused into it. It's made by Bernard Matthews i think, can be found in any good UK supermarket.
    *Heinz Sandwich Spread.

Place the turkey on your bread, then spread over a good amount of spread, then slice your sandwich from the corners into four triangles.

Beautiful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

A Baguette, Depot-loads of Butter, Branston Pickle, and Sliced Turkey. Noice.
    When Adam delved and Eve span, Who was then the gentleman? From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. For if God would have had any bondsmen from the beginning, he would have appointed who should be bound, and who free. And therefore I exhort you to consider that now the time is come, appointed to us by God, in which ye may (if ye will) cast off the yoke of bondage, and recover liberty. - John Ball

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Nmd.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Tortillas brisket onions sour pickles with a nice cervesa to wash it all down.

Im a south texas boy
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South
    Tortillas brisket onions sour pickles with a nice cervesa to wash it all down.

Im a south texas boy
    You clearly are - but that just raises the question - what's a brisket? And cervesa?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Cerveza you meant

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeus Caesar
    You clearly are - but that just raises the question - what's a brisket? And cervesa?
    * Never underestimate the power of Google: Brisket according to wiki

* never underestimate Andres' knowledge of foreign languages: "cerveza" is Spanish for "beer".
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast